JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello; I have a Hi Point 995 carbine currently fitted out with factory iron sights....

I am wondering...since I am a little nearsighted, (not sure how much)...if I am unable to get the irons onto the bulls eye or a 4" circle at 100 yards, maybe a low power option would be preferable... but I'd like to be able to use this at shorter ranges too (self defense carbine, 10-100 yards).

So I've been looking at optics...I'm looking to spend maybe $100 or less with mounts included... so that rules out a lot of pricier, higher quality optics... BUT here's the thing..I'm not sure of the below $100 range, what is good quality?

I mean, it's going on a HI POINT carbine!!! It's not going to be a tack driver, nor is the optic going to be mounted to an AR15.......

so...what do you guys recommend, and who locally here would have good deals?

Looking for 1x-4x, OK with 1.5-4.5x... OK with 1x-6x....

I see on Amazon that there's Tasco, BSA, NcStar, Monstrum Tactical, Firefield, Hammers, TacFire, and Barska.. from $45 to $130ish...

What do you guys recommend for 10-100yds, 1x-4x, 9mm ammo (mostly FMJs, but some HP/SP) and decent quality to go with the low budget Hi Point?

I have a 1x 1" red dot (Tasco) that it came with originally, not sure what MOA the dot is, its the Pro-Point series... and a Tasco 4x32 Pronghorn scope, it works, but I don't have a Picatinny rail to use the big 4x scope (relatively) and have offset 45 degree irons if needed.. looking for a single optic that works for my eyes that may not be able to pick out a 2"-4" circle at 100 yards

Barska 1-4x28 IR Riflescope
by<broken link removed> gets good reviews, also Primary Arms 1x4 and Bushnell in your price range do as well. If you get a chance to go to a shop and look through your prospective purchases that might help. I tend to give more credence to reviewers that actually get an optic to the range and tell you how it does. I suggest etched reticle if a sight also has an RD. Also, you might consider an older, used scope since they are often under priced for the glass they have by some selling them.
It sounds like you are doing your homework, look for one that does what you require and a reticle that does what you want and from a seller with a good return policy. My two cents. YMMV

Brutus Out

I have a Primary Arms 1-4x with a 30mm tube that I would be willing to sell for $100. No rings for it though. My research told me they were one of the best scopes for the money. It just ended up being a little too bulky and tacticool for my Marlin lever action. From personal experience, I would say avoid NCStar at any price, unless the reticle moving under recoil doesn't bother you.

I just did a thread recently asking for similar recommendations and was led to a few including Bushnell and Vortex. I ended up selecting Vortex because they have an unconditional lifetime warranty and their price is right at the top of your range.

If you're willing to go 2x, they have a 2-7x32 right now on Optics Planet for $129.00 with free shipping using the code on the page: http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-rifle-scope.html It's rated 5 stars over 41 reviews. 2 different reticle options are available.

I figure it's worth a go considering the awesome warranty. Several folks spoke highly of the Vortex scopes for a budget minded selection. I ordered this model as well as one other Vortex, but haven't received this one yet as the BDC reticle option was backordered when I placed my order.

cf2_2-7x32_f-t.jpg

I was offered a scope from the brand of Aim Sports, in 1.5-4.5x 30 with its own mounts for $60... I am thinking this might be decent? Reviews have said they're pretty good for the price point ($99 new to 130 new) Hmmmm. I will be checking out the selection at ARPC Gun show this coming weekend, and then decide after the gun show, and will update this thread. Ideally I'd like a scope that can mount on the factory Hi Point 995 Classic Weaver Rail; and not one that requires Picatinny rails. Can order a low pro Pic rail from Longshot Manufacturing though. But a 2-piece mount is ideal (two separate rings) as opposed to a cantilever single piece, although I will need to check the Aim Sports scope mount and see if its compatible.
That Primary Arms 1-4x 30 sounds like a great deal... what is the reticle on it?

[QUOTE="
That Primary Arms 1-4x 30 sounds like a great deal... what is the reticle on it?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, it is a duplex type crosshair with an illuminated dot.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL9PnO4ygOpWNFOJGYbU4U1y-tzjR6uAg6cWs1oIrhZelxxxzhbA.jpg

I bought the Bushnell 1x4 AR scope for $139. Unfortunately, I had been reading the reviews on the illuminated version with PCL. The lever isn't a big deal for me, it's the illumination and ability to use it as a red dot. Midway has a decent return policy so am sending it back.

I'm seeing a common complaint on these budget 1x4 scopes and that is poor illumination at 1x. Hopefully get some hands on with different brands at the Albany gun show this weekend.

So I went for the Primary Arms scope with Butler Creek flip up covers.. Used the Vortex Optics 30mm Low rings for the mount... quite close but it works! Didn't need to cantilever the scope away.. the eye box works for me as is.

20160303_182454.jpg 20160303_182532.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads