JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm recoil sensitive, love my AR for recoil but it's not a precision rifle. Am considering putting together a bolt action .223/5.56, but it's not the best for long range. Everyone says the 6.5 CM is a pussycat, and the numbers say it would be much milder than the .308 I sold because of recoil, but I'd like to see what MY shoulder thinks before proceeding.

I'm located in Twisp, in the Methow Valley, but would be happy to travel up to 100 miles (Wenatchee), as long as it's on the East side of the state. Am also more than happy to pay for ammo. Thanks.

Dave

If your ever make it down to the Vancouver WA area I've got a 6.5 Tikka CTR your more than welcomed to shoot.

Appreciate the offer very much, but Vancouver is well outside my normal stomping grounds, been through there only once in the last 20 years ;). I've also pretty much decided to stick to the devil I know, I have a new Savage 12 FV in .223 on the way, just too good a deal to pass up. Of course, winter's settled in now, so I'm going to have to figure out how to shoot in sub-freezing temps without my hands going numb :eek:! Later, and thanks again.

Dave

55DDDADB-1D91-4FAF-B45F-0B818D14B386.jpeg The 6.5 Creedmor is an adaquate caliber for game less than elk size, it has excellent sectional density allowing for good down range energy retention. As for recoil, it is so close to the 308 that differences in rifle fit would make a larger difference than the calibers. The Creed has approx 2400 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, the 308 has 2600. I shoot a 6.5X55 at deer and antelope in most cases but for longer range I go to my 7mm Magnum. For elk I prefer at least a 30 cal bullet but usually my 378 Weatherby gets the assignment, the backup rifle I have in camp is usually a 308. The hardest kicking rifle I ever shot was a 30-06 That I owned, a pre 64 M70 featherweight converted to left hand by the great Al Bieson. I really wanted to love that rifle but by the 3rd shot I would be flinching. My 378 has over 6,000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and has never bothered me. I am a believer that rifle fit has a huge effect on felt recoil, off course a heavier rifle also has less felt recoil. A field rifle is carried more than it is shot so a lighter rifle has great advantages, you won't notice the recoil while shooting at a piece of game. A range rifle is best a heavier gun. My buddy is a Creedmore fan, bought a very expensive Cooper mountain rifle that he couldn't keep inpacts within a 4 inch bull at 100 yards and would loose his sight picture at the shot. It is a very light rifle. My brother is a serious long range shooter and suggested he try a heavier rifle. So he bought a nice rifle made in the Spanish Basque Country, very nice 7 1/2 lb rifle. It shoots in the 1/4 moa area and Ted loves it. With scope it is close to 9 lbs but we are both old and don't carry rifles very far anyway. So, after all those words, I would concentrate on rifle fit and weight, then choose a caliber best for how I intended to use it. Good luck in your quest. I have 40 rifles in my safe none are perfect for everything. This is my 5 1/4 lb 308 stalking rifle. I don't fire hundreds of rounds with it a day like I might my SCAR 17's but it is well sighted in and extremely accurate. I have never noticed recoil shooting it. Another thing to consider is how you hold a rifle, a good professional shooting coach can be worth his weight in gold to improve form and function for a shooter. An hour can change everything.

Last Edited:
I agree with the above post and has some great info. I have a savage 12 LRP in 6.5CM. With glass it's easily 12 pounds. Recoil is roughy the same as a lightweight AR I suppose, but that's the weight working for you. It's a bench gun and I wouldn't want to pack it anywhere farther than the truck. I also have AR-10's in 308 and 6.5CM and the 6.5 has noticeably less recoil to it. Being a gas gun with adj gas block, it's dialed to only use the gas it needs to cycle fully so it's not throwing the BCG back excessively hard inducing recoil. I love the round but if you are looking for low recoil precision there are other options out there. 6.5 Grendel is one that comes to mind and is good to 5-600 yards or so. It's no Creedmoor but if you have an AR, it's only a bolt, barrel, and mag away with the great ballistics of the 6.5 projectile.

I agree with the above post and has some great info. I have a savage 12 LRP in 6.5CM. With glass it's easily 12 pounds. Recoil is roughy the same as a lightweight AR I suppose, but that's the weight working for you. It's a bench gun and I wouldn't want to pack it anywhere farther than the truck. I also have AR-10's in 308 and 6.5CM and the 6.5 has noticeably less recoil to it. Being a gas gun with adj gas block, it's dialed to only use the gas it needs to cycle fully so it's not throwing the BCG back excessively hard inducing recoil. I love the round but if you are looking for low recoil precision there are other options out there. 6.5 Grendel is one that comes to mind and is good to 5-600 yards or so. It's no Creedmoor but if you have an AR, it's only a bolt, barrel, and mag away with the great ballistics of the 6.5 projectile.

Thanks, guys, good info. I didn't make it clear in my OP, but the purpose is strictly a range toy, something that will give me more precision than my admittedly budget AR build is capable of. So looking at range out to 500 yards or so, something the .223 is quite capable of, especially since I already hand load for the caliber. I don't hunt, other than whacking the occasional garden raiding ground hog, and I usually grab an air rifle for that, so that's not a factor. The only reason for a bigger caliber would be longer range, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever exceed 500 yards, and most of my shooting will probably be at 300 or less. Unless I get involved in some form of competition, I really have no need for anything bigger than .223, although I continue to toy with the idea of a Grendel AR build :rolleyes:. Later, and thanks again.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top