JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in my favorite local shop today, picking up some various components. As I was chatting with the owner, I noticed he was cleaning up and putting out a jframe, and the left side caught my eye, no lock. So once I saw the price he had put on it, I couldn't leave without it.

Its a good condition 642-1. Bright shiny bore, and a good fit to it. I'm definitely happy I picked the perfect timing today.

As you can see, the left side is immaculate;

003-1.jpg

004-3.jpg
(thats cat hair on the cylinder)

On the right side, there is a bit of wear on the side plate and trademarks. But that does nothing to hurt the beauty of the gun.

009-4.jpg

That's a great go-anywhere gun. I trade-off between it and my P3AT depending on the situation, attire, etc.

S&W recently released a new batch of no-lock 642's (and 442's, I think), so I picked one up last fall. Unfortunately, it's on its second trip back to S&W to correct some deficiencies in craftsmanship. Great gun design, but I picked the short-straw on mine.

Yeah, I heard keiths had a few no lock 442s in stock last month, went there the next day, none left. I prefer the quality of older S&Ws over the new, even beat to heck used ones seem to be tighter than new ones.

Oh quick question Sun, what is the dash number on your S&W?

Geez, some people have no self control what-so-ever. Can't you go a few weeks without buying a new toy? :D

Since it has that wear on the side already, you should do something cool like bead blast it down and then do a cool colored re-anodizing if the frame. I bet it would look cool with a green frame. :)

Geez, some people have no self control what-so-ever. Can't you go a few weeks without buying a new toy? :D

Since it has that wear on the side already, you should do something cool like bead blast it down and then do a cool colored re-anodizing if the frame. I bet it would look cool with a green frame. :)

One word playboy, no :p

On a side note, still looking for a 686+

I dont really care Philomath gun shop, their Customer Service sux and Tho their prices maybe ok.. ID rather spend my money else where, unless you are actually purchasing a gun they pretty much ignore you and act like they dont want you in there ... I Usually buy my guns from Albany Coins Guns And jewelry... They got a pretty sweet Lay away Deal..

Every Smith and Wesson revolver I have ever owned has needed a Wolff gunspring kit. After this is done I love them. I have a 642 with the lock and laser and love its accuracy and lightweight. The no locks do have the aesthetic advantage and I have had a malfunction with my 329PD where the lock engaged halfway through a cylinder rotation. It locked up and I had to remove the sideplate to fix it. The spring that keeps the lock either on or off had displaced itself somehow but have not had a problem since.

Every Smith and Wesson revolver I have ever owned has needed a Wolff gunspring kit. After this is done I love them. I have a 642 with the lock and laser and love its accuracy and lightweight. The no locks do have the aesthetic advantage and I have had a malfunction with my 329PD where the lock engaged halfway through a cylinder rotation. It locked up and I had to remove the sideplate to fix it. The spring that keeps the lock either on or off had displaced itself somehow but have not had a problem since.

Just imagine if this had happened during a defensive situation!!! Some people think that the malfunctions are a myth, its great to finally hear some first hand experience.

Yes, that thought crossed my mind. The only thing I can figure is recoil from 44 Magnums in the light Scandium frame or the previous owner tinkered with it. It happened just after I bought it used and since fixed has been very reliable.

Just to back on thread track, are the pre-lock 642's rated for +P loads? Mine is although I have never shot any through it. Just standard practice loads and Magsafes are its home defense loadout.

Just to back on thread track, are the pre-lock 642's rated for +P loads? Mine is although I have never shot any through it. Just standard practice loads and Magsafes are its home defense loadout.

I have been wondering the same thing, the manual doesn't say that you can run +p through it, but I don't know if they actually changed anything with the newer 642's

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top