JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in my favorite local shop today, picking up some various components. As I was chatting with the owner, I noticed he was cleaning up and putting out a jframe, and the left side caught my eye, no lock. So once I saw the price he had put on it, I couldn't leave without it.

Its a good condition 642-1. Bright shiny bore, and a good fit to it. I'm definitely happy I picked the perfect timing today.

As you can see, the left side is immaculate;

003-1.jpg

004-3.jpg
(thats cat hair on the cylinder)

On the right side, there is a bit of wear on the side plate and trademarks. But that does nothing to hurt the beauty of the gun.

009-4.jpg

That's a great go-anywhere gun. I trade-off between it and my P3AT depending on the situation, attire, etc.

S&W recently released a new batch of no-lock 642's (and 442's, I think), so I picked one up last fall. Unfortunately, it's on its second trip back to S&W to correct some deficiencies in craftsmanship. Great gun design, but I picked the short-straw on mine.

Yeah, I heard keiths had a few no lock 442s in stock last month, went there the next day, none left. I prefer the quality of older S&Ws over the new, even beat to heck used ones seem to be tighter than new ones.

Oh quick question Sun, what is the dash number on your S&W?

Geez, some people have no self control what-so-ever. Can't you go a few weeks without buying a new toy? :D

Since it has that wear on the side already, you should do something cool like bead blast it down and then do a cool colored re-anodizing if the frame. I bet it would look cool with a green frame. :)

Geez, some people have no self control what-so-ever. Can't you go a few weeks without buying a new toy? :D

Since it has that wear on the side already, you should do something cool like bead blast it down and then do a cool colored re-anodizing if the frame. I bet it would look cool with a green frame. :)

One word playboy, no :p

On a side note, still looking for a 686+

I dont really care Philomath gun shop, their Customer Service sux and Tho their prices maybe ok.. ID rather spend my money else where, unless you are actually purchasing a gun they pretty much ignore you and act like they dont want you in there ... I Usually buy my guns from Albany Coins Guns And jewelry... They got a pretty sweet Lay away Deal..

Every Smith and Wesson revolver I have ever owned has needed a Wolff gunspring kit. After this is done I love them. I have a 642 with the lock and laser and love its accuracy and lightweight. The no locks do have the aesthetic advantage and I have had a malfunction with my 329PD where the lock engaged halfway through a cylinder rotation. It locked up and I had to remove the sideplate to fix it. The spring that keeps the lock either on or off had displaced itself somehow but have not had a problem since.

Every Smith and Wesson revolver I have ever owned has needed a Wolff gunspring kit. After this is done I love them. I have a 642 with the lock and laser and love its accuracy and lightweight. The no locks do have the aesthetic advantage and I have had a malfunction with my 329PD where the lock engaged halfway through a cylinder rotation. It locked up and I had to remove the sideplate to fix it. The spring that keeps the lock either on or off had displaced itself somehow but have not had a problem since.

Just imagine if this had happened during a defensive situation!!! Some people think that the malfunctions are a myth, its great to finally hear some first hand experience.

Yes, that thought crossed my mind. The only thing I can figure is recoil from 44 Magnums in the light Scandium frame or the previous owner tinkered with it. It happened just after I bought it used and since fixed has been very reliable.

Just to back on thread track, are the pre-lock 642's rated for +P loads? Mine is although I have never shot any through it. Just standard practice loads and Magsafes are its home defense loadout.

Just to back on thread track, are the pre-lock 642's rated for +P loads? Mine is although I have never shot any through it. Just standard practice loads and Magsafes are its home defense loadout.

I have been wondering the same thing, the manual doesn't say that you can run +p through it, but I don't know if they actually changed anything with the newer 642's

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top