JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd be curious to see what the manual for the new no lock 642's say

Any one who has one, let me know

...wait, sun you have one, go check your manual :D

I have one....that's still back at S&W getting fixed again...

The manual they included is for all S&W revolvers (modern style) and is not specific to the 642 no-lock. Here's what it says about +P ammo:

Plus-P (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety built into some reovlers and therefore could be DANGEROUS. This ammunition should not be used in Smith & Wesson medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958....(more info about identifying pre-58 K-Frames...)

Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms.

I have one....that's still back at S&W getting fixed again...

The manual they included is for all S&W revolvers (modern style) and is not specific to the 642 no-lock. Here's what it says about +P ammo:

Hmm, my manual has a spreadsheet with all of the models made at the time, and what ammo could be used in them, and according to that, I can only run .38 special through it. Maybe I should just give S&W a call sometime and see if there is any alloy or construction difference with the newer locked guns.

Hmm, my manual has a spreadsheet with all of the models made at the time, and what ammo could be used in them, and according to that, I can only run .38 special through it. Maybe I should just give S&W a call sometime and see if there is any alloy or construction difference with the newer locked guns.

No table in mine - just language that says doing so could be dangerous, but doesn't tell you not to.

The website seems to suggest that you can:

Caliber: .38+P

And remember, my "new" pre-lock is supposed to be built on an old frame, so I can't imagine it's any different. YMMV and all that stuff...

ETA: when (if) I get my carry box back from S&W, I'll see what it says on the box label. I think it lists on there whether it's +P rated.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top