JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's just luck that the wife and adult children weren't there - maybe the outcome was less ugly because only one guy was home.
A lone robber brazenly broke into a home, assaulted and tied up the homeowner, and then stole some items before escaping out the back door. The suspect is still at large.
The robber allegedly kicked down the front door of her home and attacked her husband. She speculated that perhaps the suspect had cased the house and assumed that it was still empty.

"This is not the type of neighborhood at all…. So I just don't know what else to say. It's unbelievably shocking,"
Violent home invasion robbery triggers manhunt in Lake Oswego - KPTV - FOX 12

Forewarned is forearmed. If you just sit and wait for it to happen to you, you have no one else to blame.
Reinforce your doors - placing locks on the top and bottom as well as the side is quick and easy.
Keep a firearm handy - if not on your belt, then at least not locked away.
Don't open your door for strangers.

It's just luck that the wife and adult children weren't there - maybe the outcome was less ugly because only one guy was home.

Violent home invasion robbery triggers manhunt in Lake Oswego - KPTV - FOX 12

Forewarned is forearmed. If you just sit and wait for it to happen to you, you have no one else to blame.
Reinforce your doors - placing locks on the top and bottom as well as the side is quick and easy.
Keep a firearm handy - if not on your belt, then at least not locked away.
Don't open your door for strangers.

The statements of the wife lead one to believe that she nor her husband have 1) street smarts, and 2) telegraph they are victims. JMHO

Home invaders are playing Russian rullette. There are enough stories in the news where they get a welcome in a form of a blast from a gun. It is what they can expect from me if they break down my door. I will not gamble with my life against someone who has already proven that he is willing to gamble with his.

When will oregonians realize castle laws WORK.

When criminals realize that they will be shot even if they are trying to run away after a crime that these home invasions will end

in the perfect state of colorado. An old man shot a prep who stool his in windows air conditioner as he was walking away from him with his back turned to the old man. It sends a clear message, commit the crime, you will die. Makes the preps realize that air conditioners are not worth their lives.

But in Oregon they know the justice system will protect them and they can even sue the homeowner.

and also to tkdguy the VICTIM IS NEVER THE BLAME FOR THE CRIME ONLY THE PREP, I bet you think women who get raped deserve it as well.

I live around old ladies. The sorry SOB that thinks I am also a defenseless old lady is going to get a rude surprise. This old lady has a Benelli M4 ready to rock and roll. Plus heavily reinforced doors and jams that will take more than a couple kicks.

Unlike many people that seem to have a hard on to kill, I sincerely hope I never have to, but if it is me or some meth head sorry dude you are Swiss cheese. You just picked the wrong place.

I live in West Linn. Not far away from Lake Oswego. Both my wife and I have a handgun nearby at all times. Bring that bubblegum down here and it will get you shot.

I've read more than one of these stories about the BG kicking in the door, and every I think back to our house in Germany. Always wanted to have a house like that one over here,,,BG or Swat team...if the house is closed, it's closed. No body is getting in without my permission.

8" Steel Channel for a door jam set in reinforced concrete. The front door was very heavy 1/2 steel facings with a foam core and 8" or so thick with a door nob that did not turn...it was closed with an electronic bolt. When you shut the door it sounded like a vault closing. Patio door had a "Roladen" roll down external shutter that weighed about 750 lbs, and there were Roladen on all the windows. The walls were 1 meter thick and reinforced concrete,,try get in that place if the owner did not want you too.

I was in the "Home Despot" looking at locks and such, when the helpful worker told me that cops don't like people having doors that can't be kicked in. And that's why their door reinforcements look so pathetic - like the door brace with the plastic knob catch?
<broken link removed>
I guess if you call it "heavy duty" then it's okay.

FerFAL recommends a 4000-pound, all-steel-and-concrete setup, but that might attract a bit of attention around these parts. Besides, it won't make any difference until you reinforce every last window in the joint.

FerFAL recommends a 4000-pound, all-steel-and-concrete setup, but that might attract a bit of attention around these parts. Besides, it won't make any difference until you reinforce every last window in the joint.

True, but you can not rush though most windows.
American house construction is rather pathetic. My mother refers to it as paper and cardboard.
I think she'd be shocked to see that new construction in part of Europe have adopted the same method and materials.

I gotta side with tkdguy, some people just look like future victims. By no means do i think that they deserve it and there is no way in hell do i think a woman is asking to be raped. Having said that i do believe that people who are inclined to commit crimes are going to look for the weakest among us. Anyone that has no problem kicking in a door and robing the place through force/violence is not going after me, a 40 year old male, in good shape, that is scared head to toe when most of my closest neighbors are elderly and do not look like much of a threat. And my younger neighbors don't look like they are willing to fight back.

These scumbags are looking for the path of least resistance and people that think they can just hope it will never happen to them need to pull their head out and learn how to defend themselves and their family.

Just a thought.

Lefty.

I was in the "Home Despot" looking at locks and such, when the helpful worker told me that cops don't like people having doors that can't be kicked in. And that's why their door reinforcements look so pathetic - like the door brace with the plastic knob catch?
<broken link removed>
I guess if you call it "heavy duty" then it's okay.

One simple thing that will make any external door kick proof; have it open outward. When I was 19 and lived in a ghetto apartment, my door had been kicked so many times that it could no longer hold a shape. I got the landlord to replace it with a solid core and install it to open outward. Good luck kicking that one! Sure, the hinge pins are exposed but that is easy to remedy with jamb pins similar to your gun safe.

Installing a vault door and roll shudders may be secure but it is like hanging out a sign that says "I have something worth stealing". When it comes to your stuff, anonymity is a virtue.

Great idea, Liberty, but it probably means the whole casement for the door has to be replaced.

Many house-to-garage entryways open outward, and they use these hinges:
Cool Hardware « remodeling for geeks
When the door is closed, tabs engage the two hinge sides so that pulling the pins won't release the door.
I put them in all my entry doors, since I figure they'll add strength to the hinge side.

These doors are great. They mount opening out and with a door knob and a dead bolt. They mount on the outside of your regular door.
And they look good.
Steel mesh instead of plastic screen,so not perfect for summer bugs,but I used to leave my front door open and this locked while at work.
Yeah the Rot mix acting like she hadn't eaten for a month helped too

<broken link removed>

Door jam armor and a storm door like the above are probably the least expensive route to go. See if your door frame is square and to spec measurement-wise before you go buy a storm door. They are a pain to install otherwise and unless you are a carpenter, you will need to hire someone to install it.

Choose a storm door that you install your own (better) locks/deadbolt into vs cheap ones that can easily be drilled out with a cordless drill. Then you can re-key them to match the main door. Kwikset brand lets you do that yourself without a locksmitch.

Most electronic 'code' locks sold on storm doors are fun to look at, but are cheap and easily defeated.

Replace all the screws in the hinges, etc, with 2.5"-3" steel deck screws. Amazing how many front doors are held in place by 1/2"-1" screws and then people wonder how their door got kicked in when they were gone. This one step alone costs just a few dollars at most and can really make a difference.

4-5' door jam sheet steel (white normally) strips with rectangular holes for the door and deadbolt locks are also great; about $75 online. With one of these properly installed the intruder needs to kick out nearly the entire door jam, not just the 2" or so of your lock/deadbolt.
http://kickproof.com/

You really can't make a front door break-in proof. What you are trying to accomplish are two things 1) if you are not home, the perp will make a lot more noise breaking in than just a swift kick; he may even give up, and 2) if you are home it gives you those precious seconds you need to prepare a proper welcome.

Where your front door is at is a great indication as to whether or not an intruder will go for the classic kick-in entry. If your door is highly visible to the street and other homes, not so much. Focus more time on rear/side windows. If your front door is on the side of the house or view of your front door is obscured, chances are (75% of the time) that is where a burglar will try to gain entry.

Any unused doors or infrequently used doors should be barred/secured. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YUX8I...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_1fejprclr8_b

Cut down any bushes that give a burglar cover as he goes about prying open or breaking your windows. Put window slide stops in every window and dummy alarm contacts (if you don't have an alarm). If you have low/never opened windows put bars on them.

Shuffle how you park your car, which door you use when leaving the house; trying to randomize your pattern behavior the best you can. The typical burglar just looks for an easy pattern. You leave the house everyday at 8am. He sees that. Then he rings your door bell at 8:15, no answer, and kicks in your door. Leave a radio (talk radio) playing in obscure places in the house. Leave a TV on that can be seen from an approach window, that sort of thing. If you can instill just a little doubt, most thieves will move on to an easier target.

As a post-break in failsafe measure, install a hidden camera with audio, working 24/7 on an endless SD card record in a central part of your home - INSIDE your house.. About $75.00. Your burglar will be filmed as he goes about his business and if he/she has friends they may chat it up while in your home incriminating themselves or name dropping. Takes minutes to set up, install and forget about it. If the day ever comes when you are broke into, retrieve the SD card. You might even find out that you were robbed by someone you know.

The opposite of living in fear and leaving your circumstances to random chance is preparing.

I owned a security company some years ago and we were paid to survey (mostly businesses) for basic things they could do to decrease loss risks.

I should mention that the internal camera thing WORKS and no one would expect it. A couple years ago I had a friend in Vancouver who was broken into and the only thing he had was pinball machines. He repaired them and video games.

The thieves actually called XXX distributing on camera and asked about which one was worth more, left their number for a call back so they could find out. Hilarious - they couldn't even steal one - 350 lbs too heavy and the way they were placed they had to have the headboards removed. So, a call to the distributor and it was easy to find out who left the message. Busted. A couple of pizza delivery guys that he had made the mistake of having them enter his home a month beforehand. Like the old adage, thieves usually only try to steal what they have SEEN first.

If you never let strangers or 'friends of friends' into your home your chance of a break in goes WAY down. If your teenager takes his friends for a tour, chances are, your risk just went way up.

None of this is rocket science, just common sense stuff, but people never seem to take the time to do even the most basic things to protect their home (at least the $5 3" screws!).

Let's all remember that the VAST majority of "home invasion" robberies are about drugs or drug money. The rest are idiots. I mean seriously, how much cash and immediately saleable valuables do we have? Not much. You failed your victim profile LOTS.

It's actually astonishingly rare that people of middle and upper incomes get broken into this way. Break into MY house, ans you will find yourself shot immediately. EVERYONE in my house carries a gun 24/7. We have a unique situation I won't go into, suffice to say it improves our chances of home invasion a LOT. I'm really unconcerened. If itr happens it does. I won't live my life in fear. I take precautions. That's enough.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top