JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not worried. Practiced for this eventuality a lot as a kid. :p
3A4F3FFD-1B66-4435-9EE4-AED871C3E3F4.jpeg
B7C9434E-7BED-42BA-9C38-54086D04966C.png

Last Edited:
Don't make it too obvious, but I wanna see fur and early-morning dew.

One of my grandmothers used to show me dark, porous rocks that she found in the desert. She claimed they were meteorites. I later figured out that they were volcanic in nature. If you walk along an abandoned railroad track in the desert, you can find locomotive firebox clinker that also resembles both.

Deserts are one of the places where actual meteorite material can be found. Because in dry, moisture stable environments, they don't tend to deteriorate over the many years they might have been laying about. But they are nowhere nearly as common as dark volcanic rock that is fairly often seen in some parts of desert areas.

Getting hit by a meteorite is pretty long odds and doesn't present all that much danger. Asteroids are another matter. If one of those hits, it might be the end of all our problems. Scientists say they know where most of these are in space now, and don't figure on one to hit earth within the next century or so. We have more earthly concerns to concentrate on in the meantime.

There's been a lot of conjecture on whether something like this is possible, specifically if we can steer a passing asteroid into earth's gravitational field and suspend it in orbit to mine it for precious resources. I saw a scientist give a lecture on it at university once. It's a fascinating concept, but probably a long way from actualization for now.

There's a whole moon full of stuff up there that we should be mining. Don't need to travel clear to the asteroid field.
These are interesting ideas but likely a long way off in terms of our lifetimes. But it fascinates me that precious metals such as gold and platinum are created when ancient stars blow up and scatter themselves out around the universe. Then when the dust coalesces, they get embedded in the material of planets. We don't want to find too many easy, new sources of precious metals. It would depress the values of existing materials.

This reminds me of the talk of mining the sea beds for polymetallic nodules containing various valuable minerals. That was the excuse for the Glomar Explorer in the middle 1970's, which was actually intended to recover a lost Russian submarine. But it was a serious mining concept at the time. Two of the resources that these nodules contain are nickel and cobalt, both useful for making batteries for electric vehicles. So maybe this industrial science will develop further. It will be destructive to the undersea environment, for sure. The deep bottom of the sea is similar to our deserts in the way of change. The deep sea bed is cold and dark, and change occurs very slowly over the years. There is bound to be environmentalist resistance to this sort of mining. Get ready for this: The US will outlaw it; the Chinese will tear apart the entire Pacific Ocean without regard to consequences.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top