JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Likely showing my ignorance on newly mfg. cans, but my "youngest" is likely older than some of the newer shooters have been alive ;)

I did a little ammo restocking this Christmas and have found myself in possession of a few newly mfg. cans from Cabela's. A bit lightweight from what I'm used to but they seem to be put together well enough... decent seals... no complaints there and I could sure use em.

A little "tongue in cheek", but my legitimate gripe? How the HECK are you supposed to keep the lids from falling off from the slightest bump!!?? Better than half the time I open these and I've got to dink around with the hinges getting them aligned and back on. Just the ever so slight pressure to the left when opening em with your right hand and OFF they fly. Worst of all? Leave the lid open, bump the can sideways, the lid goes clattering to the ground and the wife comes running out in a hurry asking, "WHAT did you do!?? What just went off out there!!?"

There must be some little trick out there to "crimp this" or "do that" so they don't come off without intentional force.

... or maybe I'm the only igit in the PNW that never read the instructions on how to open an ammo can. :confused:

Haha...wife comes runnin at slightest clanking...yup. :D

No issues so far with new or old stock cans though, so honestly can't say on a fix. Have some surplus that are older than we are, and some new manufactured (Costco foreign jobs & PSA USA mades).

I had the same problem with a couple of cans that I received with some 1K round shipments from Federal and IMI.

I took a hammer and punch to the ends of the pins and spread them out. No more flying lid problems have raised their ugly heads since.

...yours must have been made in chi na.:eek:

Of which I have absolutely no doubt. I just noticed wallyworld carries some that look darn near identical (right down to the spot welding on the back) and actually have a sticker on the bottom proudly stating "made in China".

These were Federal bulk buys as well. 2 from Cabela's and 2 more from one of our NWF brothers. The ammo pricing was outstanding so the cans are just gravy... if I can get them to work. SA Shooters idea works... no muss no fuss so I'll keep em.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top