JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw that on the news last night. Amazing that UPS' initial reaction was to basically ignore the situation. I'm glad he posted it and finally got them to do the right thing. Shame on them for not being on top of this from the beginning. The story says UPS offered him a 'gift', but it doesn't say if they replaced the contents of his package - that should be a bare minimum response - and it should be delivered, in person, by the local UPS hub manager. No excuse for this, but even less excuse for ignoring the customer in the first place.

I never use UPS, they have too many thieves working for them. Last gun I shipped they had to have a supervisor handle it all the way through to its destination.

You should go to a Vintage Stereo collecting forum and see what UPS FED EX and the POST Office have done to vintage electronics that are irreplaceable. I have seen photos of 4 and 5 thousand dollar tube amps that were smashed so bad the only thing left useable were the transformers. And most vintage gear is so over packed its crazy. My last Amp came in a box 28" X 28" x 30" and held something only 6" x 17" x 15" and the difference was filled with layers of sheet Styrofoam custom cut to fit the unit. And even with that I had to worry.

They always blame "seasonal workers." It's like the way Democrats blame George Bush. It's an automatic response.
I have been a UPS driver for 28 years, so I am going to speak up here.

In this particular case, the guy peeing on the wall was a seasonal Christmas employee. He wasn't a driver, he was a minimum-wage driver helper. I know this because of the uniform he had, he was wearing a pullover not a jacket. These are only issued to helpers. He was also not carrying a DIAD (the little electronic pad that collects signatures and stores delivery information.) The driver he was working for was back in the truck, sorting and digging through his next 200 stops while the helper walked the packages off.

Unfortunately, there is a three week period in December where we are trying to process about 750% of our normal volume, and the only possible way we can do this is to hire a bunch of helpers. Their work ethic ranges from average to poor, and they are not drug-tested. It is what it is. They are temporary labor, with a pulse and two legs being pretty much the only qualification. I am not in any way condoning the actions of this person but his behavior is not something that a permanent career driver would normally do. Also... bear in mind that UPS has over 300,000 permanent employees nationwide, so it is a statistical certainty that at some point one of them will wind up making an arse of himself on someone's camera.

Last Edited:
You should go to a Vintage Stereo collecting forum and see what UPS FED EX and the POST Office have done to vintage electronics that are irreplaceable. I have seen photos of 4 and 5 thousand dollar tube amps that were smashed so bad the only thing left useable were the transformers. And most vintage gear is so over packed its crazy. My last Amp came in a box 28" X 28" x 30" and held something only 6" x 17" x 15" and the difference was filled with layers of sheet Styrofoam custom cut to fit the unit. And even with that I had to worry.
Here is a tip; next time you ship something fragile like an amp, instead of a cardboard box use a cooler. Fill the cooler up with Styrofoam to make a nest for the item, and then tape the lid shut with multiple straps of tape going all the way around the cooler. Coolers are made of layers of durable plastic with an airtight void between layers and they can take a beating way better than a cardboard box.

The simple fact of the matter is that we handle something like 70 million package per day on average in an industrial process involving thousands of miles of conveyor belts. Unfortunately, it is a statistical fact that a few of them will get broken. In my experience, the overwhelming majority of damages are directly related to poor packaging methods.

Here is a tip; next time you ship something fragile like an amp, instead of a cardboard box use a cooler. Fill the cooler up with Styrofoam to make a nest for the item, and then tape the lid shut with multiple straps of tape going all the way around the cooler. Coolers are made of layers of durable plastic with an airtight void between layers and they can take a beating way better than a cardboard box.

The simple fact of the matter is that we handle something like 70 million package per day on average in an industrial process involving thousands of miles of conveyor belts. Unfortunately, it is a statistical fact that a few of them will get broken. In my experience, the overwhelming majority of damages are directly related to poor packaging methods.

I guess you didn't read my post very well. The unit I mention its packing had over 4.5" of sheet Styrofoam on the thinnest side and 6.5 and 11" on the others. No Styrofoam cooler is big enough to ship a Vintage stereo unit in. I make my own boxes and cut my own 1" Styrofoam sht to make custom fit packing. I've shipped dozens of units around the country.

And yes I agree most damage is caused by crappy packaging. Still ends up with the irreplaceable Unit destroyed.

I watched a FED EX Ground driver kicking boxes out on to the street to clear room for one of the items I received which was in a box to big for her to pickup. She was about to push it out of the back of the truck when I got there and stopped her. I took it off the rear of the truck myself. The other peoples packages were not so lucky she threw them into the back of the truck how ever and off she went.

I was next to a UPS truck yesterday the light turns green and the back door swings open when it takes off:eek: Hope everyone got there package as I was not hanging in back to see if anything came flying out:D

I also saw the OP on the news and the good thing about it someone got some CCI so we know its out there;)

I was next to a UPS truck yesterday the light turns green and the back door swings open when it takes off:eek: Hope everyone got there package as I was not hanging in back to see if anything came flying out:D

I also saw the OP on the news and the good thing about it someone got some CCI so we know its out there;)
I have had that happen to me before when I didn't get the door latched all the way.

Fortunately, there is a rear-view camera over the back door with a monitor in the cab so if my door is swinging I will see it right away.

Last Edited:
:D Then they need to quit telling people lies.
Perhaps you misheard or misunderstood.

What happens with guns and high-value items is that, upon returning to the building, the driver unloads them individually and gives them to a clerk who signs for them, inventories them, and locks them up in a cage.

At the end of the evening, a supervisory person then puts them on a cart and takes them individually to the outbound trailer so that they do not go over any conveyor belts. They are again signed for, using a sort of chain-of-custody procedure, and then at the destination facility they are individually unloaded, signed for again, and taken to the truck and driver that will make the final delivery. The goal is to minimize handling and opportunities for theft, and to keep them off of the conveyor belts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top