JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Burning is the acceptable and respectful way.

It is not so much the details in the method but the spirit and the heart you put into it's final disposition. You burn the flag with all the reverence you might display at the cremation of your grandfather. Just don't treat it like an ordinary throw-away.

I burn mine on my typically large burn pile consisting of brush, limbs and other organic slash (not garbage or trash). You might burn yours on a campfire and make it into a special family event with the kids.

Burning is the acceptable and respectful way.

It is not so much the details in the method but the spirit and the heart you put into it's final disposition. You burn the flag with all the reverence you might display at the cremation of your grandfather. Just don't treat it like an ordinary throw-away.

I burn mine on my typically large burn pile consisting of brush, limbs and other organic slash (not garbage or trash). You might burn yours on a campfire and make it into a special family event with the kids.

So... fold it first instead of putting it in a heap?

I guess it's not specified how to burn it, is it?

I fly mine on various holidays. I have a Gadsden "Don't tread on me" flag but haven't flown it yet and not really sure when I will or for what reason exactly. I'd like to get a Betsy Ross flag for Fourth of July. Betsy is a relative of mine (so is Benedict Arnold, by marriage...) I'd also like to get a Gonzales "Come and take it" flag and fly it on October 2 just for the heck of it.

thought i would share my last conflict over the flag.read on and let me know if you think i over reacted and maybe what you would have done.
just over 5 years ago on what was to be my last day of work for my last employer i was out on his property working in the shop when i heard his son drive up out front followed by him and his friends whooping it up about his dads stupid flag. next thing in hear is several gunshots so i go outside and find this a** @#&% shooting up the flag with his 12ga. so i asked to se his gun and as soon as he handed it over i threw it in the river then turned around busted him in the mouth with all i had, got in my truck and went home.the boss called that night and told me not to come back.p.s the kid was 22yo

While I have never considered myself patriotic in a support-the-government-right-or-wrong, love it or leave it kind of way, (I fought against the war in Vietnam and I oppose the war in Iraq, if you insist on knowing......and if you don't like it, too bad), I hoisted my flag on 9-12-2001 in front of my home and there it will stay for as long as I may live.

The flag is a symbol of that which is greater than our political beliefs and our political differences. It symbolizes what all of us, of whatever political persuasion, agree on as a people and as a civilized society. And the extent of the basic values that we do agree on is much greater than we sometimes choose to acknowledge......given our differences. Together we will and we must stand united against those who would defeat us. And that resolve alone is worthy of respect and of public display of that symbol.

Well put. I am excited to get the stuff I need to hang my flag, and I am going to print the "rules" if you will, on proper flag display.

I have had my flag, and several replacements, on display since the Operation Desert Storm gulf war back in 90-91. Bought a brand new larger version the day after 9/11. My flag is also proudly displayed in camp when I go deer hunting. Not too many people see it, but I know it's there.

I fly 3 flags at my house. One on the shop and one in the front of the house and one in back. They fly all the time. And if someone chooses to touch it something bad will happen. I keep the one from the White House that was sent to me by congress during the first Iraq war. That is in a protective box and has never been unfolded. I am proud to see all the people flying their flags. They are more than a symbol........ Kudo's to all that fly it. Keep it up.

Scott

This is a great thread. I hope all of us will get a flag up where it can proudly be displayed.
If any of our Washington members wish to get their flag up, but have no way to keep it lit so that it can fly at night, I can help. I own an electrical contracting company, and if you shoot me a PM I can answer any of your electrical questions, or swing by your home and help you figure out the best way to get it done. I can help you figure out what you'll need for parts and even supply them at my cost if it will help you get your flag up. If you're not comfortable doing the wiring yourself, then of course I can help you with that too. I'll do the work as cheap as I can...or perhaps for a little barter and an adult beverage (or two) while we talk about firearms.

I had a flag on my porch for years. I took it down when we painted the house and I never put it back up. I really feel terrible. I will be fixing this problem first thing in the morning.

Dang, I can not believe I did that. I need to appologize to every service person out there fighting for my freedom and I could not even rehang the bracket to hold my flag to show my support for the sacrifices that they are making for me and my children. I really feel like a heel.

When I lived at home it was my duty to put the flag out every morning (I had odd days, my brother had even days) and put it away at night. My Dad put great pride in having that flag displayed. June 6th was a special day for the two of us. He was in the second wave at Omaha Beach in 1944 and I arrived at Ft. Knox, KY.

Upon my return from Desert Storm I began hanging a flag daily. I have had 5 replacements during that time.

When I lived at home it was my duty to put the flag out every morning (I had odd days, my brother had even days) and put it away at night. My Dad put great pride in having that flag displayed. June 6th was a special day for the two of us. He was in the second wave at Omaha Beach in 1944 and I arrived at Ft. Knox, KY.

Upon my return from Desert Storm I began hanging a flag daily. I have had 5 replacements during that time.

I have my flag up to thank you and your family for all you have done for me and my children!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top