JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have just got my first 1911, Which is a fullsize government model.
Upgrades.

Widened beavertail grip safety
extended mag release.
extended slide stop. extended right handed safety.

I really like the front slide serrations.

What are some upgrades That will help the gun or my aim. Example.
fiber optic front sight.
I dont know If I can put a ambidextrious safety, But I need it.
Extended magwell
Way slimmer wood grips. Even though Im probably going with the legend grips.

Any help to teach me about this fine pistol would be very helpful.

For grips, you might want to look at VZ Grips. I just put a pair of VZ Operators on my DW CBOB and love them. VZ also makes some slim grips.

Also, I can't remember the brand, but my brother has a fiber optic sight with a tritium insert on one of his Kimber 1911's that is pretty cool. Real easy to pick up during the day plus the tritium for night.

I am looking at a lot of Drop in parts. If my firearm doesnt already have a ambi safety, Can I add one. Also the hammer. Can I remove the hammer without having to mess with springs? extended mag well. Does it replace the backstrap. Let's say I wanted to change some things to stainless, accessorie wise. Here's whats on my mind.

Stainless beavertail grip safety
stainless slide stop
stainless ambi safety
stainless extended magwell
barrel bushing that you replace your's with for a compensator

All these parts say drop in. Is that true? I love the look of a blued 1911 with stainless parts.

Sorry I haven't replied, I just don't have that much experience swapping out parts on a 1911.

I would however think that installing an extended stainless mag well would require some gun smithing. There might also be a little fitting involved with the grip safety. The rest of the parts sound pretty much drop in to me. The only thing that might be required is a little polishing if they stick a bit.

GI? do You mean government model.

One thing I really want is a wilson combat drop in stainless, extra wide beavertail grip safety.
They dont seem to say anything about gunsmithing. It all says drop in. I think it is just the 2 push pins in the back of the frame.

OK one thing to know- a large portion of 1911 parts are not "drop in", even if labeled so. For some reason manufacturers take alot of libertys so parts don't always fit, and alot of parts are made oversized for a custom fit.

Ambi Safety- yes you can add one. Safety may need to be fitted.
Grips- Like said above I like the VZ operators alot.
Magwell should actually be very easy.
GI- basically there's a GI spec sheet for 1911's. A few companies are worse than others when it comes to holding tolerances. American Classic is a phillipine gun, though I can't remember if it's Armscor or the other. Armscor has earned a pretty good rep as of late.

Oh on the bushing/comp- yes they're out there but un-needed. You would be much better suited accuracy wise to get a set of calipers, then order a bushing from EGW. Oh BTW I would highly reccomend EGW for a good parts source. Great prices, excellent rep on quality parts, etc.

First let me point out that any changes you make to your 1911 can cost alot of money. In changeing the gun to what you need to get it to perform for you make sure you really see a need for the change.

Plus if you want all those changes then why not buy a gun that has them to begin with? It will save you in the long run. People won't give you back your investment into parts because they think a "home gunsmith" did the work and the quality is suspect.

If you must do things yourself, fit and finish will keep the gun running. If you don't do it well then the gun will fail.

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads