JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In recent years I've got increasingly into NFA firearms and have a decent stamp collection going. I've toyed with the idea of getting into a machine-gun, but haven't taken the plunge. The pragmatic side of me (or cost-conscious, er, cheap, if you wish) has a hard time justifying said at today's going rates. On the flipside, few things have kept their value and increased exponentially like fully transferable machine-guns. Though all it would take for the value to go away is one stroke of a anti-RKBA's pen that makes them verboten.

All the aside, one item I keep coming back to is the American 180 submachine-gun in .22LR. They just look like a heck of a lot of fun. They're, relatively, cheap to feed. Parts and repair is handled by a company right here in Southern Oregon. On that point, I thought I'd toss this out for discussion:

Anyone have own one of these little buzz guns? How do you like it? What is a realistic price, circa Q4 2016 for a transferable specimen? Failing that, anyone play with the semi-auto only variant and, if so, how is it?

Thanks much. :)

Clearly, you haven't been tracking 22LR ammo prices compared to 9mm... o_O

:D

True the .22 ammo situation is lamentable. Hopefully sanity will eventually return to rimfire ammo. Probably not, but hey, one can hope. Still, I've got a bit of it socked away (el cheapo and costly subsonics). :D

I had a chance to buy one three years ago for around $8,500.00.
It came with 2 Lexan 275 rd drums and an original 175 rd drum.
I should have bought it, but the idea of sending that much money out of state to a guy I didn't know and waiting 9 months for delivery put a damper on it, so I passed up the deal.
There is a guy in Riddle, Oregon that is an expert in these guns and he does make & repair the single shot versions.

On a side note, if you ever get a chance to buy a taxed stamped Lightning Link for a decent price, give it some serious thought.
I know a guy who bought 5 of them years ago for only $700.00 each and now they're worth over $12,000.00 each.
Plus, they can be stored in an envelope.

Last Edited:
Keep in mind that with machine guns that they dont really cost anything if you look at it long term. Sure you pay the price when you buy them but you are pretty much 100% guaranteed to get your money back when you sell them plus a little something extra for the effort. I'm not sure we are going to see the dramatic rise in prices any more as the market seems to have stabilized but it sure isnt going to go down. Its like land. They aren't making any more.

They are a very cool little rifle! I have repaired, (cleaned) a semi and FA version. Pretty well made little rifles. Only problem I had noticed that after running fa for thousands of rounds they actually needed to be cleaned once and awhile to keep functioning 100%..;) Only mechanical problems I noticed was recoil spring replacement/wear. And that's pretty common

Keep in mind that with machine guns that they dont really cost anything if you look at it long term. Sure you pay the price when you buy them but you are pretty much 100% guaranteed to get your money back when you sell them plus a little something extra for the effort. I'm not sure we are going to see the dramatic rise in prices any more as the market seems to have stabilized but it sure isnt going to go down. Its like land. They aren't making any more.
Especially if you win one by spending $200 in an online raffle :D

Shot one back in late 90's and it ran like a champ. Shot one at 2016 arpc auto shoot and it sucked. Like Velsey said... I would guess it was just gummed up. Exciting guns though runs like a spitfire.
YOU SHOULD GET ONE:D

American 180 would be a fun bullet hose for sure.

Don't own one but I look on this website periodically. Looks like $15,000.

22 Long Rifle | DealerNFA

For a few thousand more, I'd rather step up into Thompson.:D
Ruben's prices are high, even for a retail dealer, but he has a pretty good reputation and a big selection.

On a side note, if you ever get a chance to buy a taxed stamped Lightning Link for a decent price, give it some serious thought.
I know a guy who bought 5 of them years ago for only $700.00 each and now they're worth over $12,000.00.
Plus, they can be stored in an envelope.
I'd buy a registered LL or DIAS for $12k in a New York minute. They are usually priced about $6k higher. I'm going the the SAR gun show in AZ this December and I'll keep my eyes open for one of those at $12k.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top