Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Amendment to block weapons sales to Egypt

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Norm0931, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I caught the end of the vote on CSPAN. However, Ron Wyden voted nay on the amendment and was apparently in favor of sending more F-16s and Abrams tanks to Egypt, despite their connection with the Muslim Brotherhood and the threat of revolution.

If anyone can confirm the vote in want to make sure I heard it correctly they were jumping around on votes like it was cool, no wonder they never accomplish anything.

2. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

They want to send more than they already have? Or have we not sent them yet and this is a vote on that.

3. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

The amendment would stop the ones yet to be sent. We've already sent them like 150 over the years.

4. jfw

Ah ok. Still annoys me that we are doing this. I don't want my tax dollars going to give potential war mongers good equipment ( I think we were giving them to Egypt)..

Either way we should not sell them anything either.

5. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

6. jfw

Thanks for posting that link civilian75. My original annoyance is renewed as it is tax payer money funding this.

7. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I think they ended up giving them 15 or 16 F-16s, now my understanding is that money stays here (goes to weapons manufacturers from the military section of the US aid) and they get the weapons, so it's tax dollars -> weapon manufacturers and they end up with the weapons.

8. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

It's how we roll!

Seriously...We gave weapons to Saddam Hussein for his war against Iran. Then there was the Iran-Contra Mess. Hmmm, lets see, how about the Taliban, for their fight against the Russian occupation.

And many more. We like to give these little despot dictators all of these weapons so they can become power drunk and then we have to go in and spank them. Our economy is largely driven by conflict. You think we're still in Afghanistan because those goat farmers pose any threat? Nope, gotta support the war driven contractor industry. It's a mess.

jfw and (deleted member) like this.
  9. greedy bastards

greedy bastards Multnomah Village New Member

We always pick on the little country. First we have to arm them.