JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I suddenly realized that I've have sold or traded all of my more expensive handguns, including a couple of high end Sig 1911s, and replaced them with newer, cheaper firearms, most of which cost me less than $600. These include a Kahr CM45, Kahr CW380, Ruger SR45, CZ P-01, Browning BDM, S&W Mod 36, S&W 442, Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle, SCCY CPX-2, and others I can't remember right now. Each of these cheaper handguns has been 100 percent reliable out of the box for at least 300 or more rounds each and generally equally as accurate caliber-wise as their more expensive counterparts that I no longer have. The Kahrs and the CZ P-01 match or exceed any carry guns I've ever had in terms of concealability and capability. I think I've lost my gun snob gene. Am I nuts?

Nope, you aren't crazy at all.

I prefer "entry level" or "inexpensive" firearms to higher end firearms because I just don't treat them the same.

For me it's Taurus for 1911s and revolvers.. I'm a sucker for them.
Yes yes, Taurus has a stigma that follows them.. But darn near every Taurus firearm I own I've kept, because they just work.
I've shot hundreds of rounds through some and nearing a thousand through a few others.. Not a single issue.

Take their PT1911 for example, under any other brand name it would sell for
$800-900 in terms of quality. By far one of the best pistols they make.

I enjoy cheaper firearms (primarily pistols)
Because should I need cash or decide I want a new toy they are by far easier to sell or trade than a $1200 pistol. The wait time to have someone bite on an expensive firearm is almost five times what an entry level firearm sells at.

+1 to SS and ZA. I've owned the cheapest of the cheap up to some higher end models. I always go back to my mid-range guns. Not so expensive that I'm not afraid to get them a little scuffed up with use and not so cheap as to make me concerned about reliability. And like ZA said, the mid-range guns seem to be pretty darn easy to turn over if you want to make a change. And what gun guy (or girl) doesn't like to make a change now and then?

Just like Ferrari's. Everyone wants one and they make everyone jealous. But in the end they arent that great mechanically, they break down a lot and are crazy expensive to fix. And you can get much less expensive cars that will beat them around the track.

Manufacturing processes being much better than in the past, it is not difficult to mfg. a NICE, inexpensive gun today.

I spent $1200 on a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry, which I like.

ALL other pistols were less than $675, a few in the $260 range.

They ALL work great. :)

No need for a $$$$$$$$$$$$$ gun.

Well, I haven't gone that far yet. I will say that the Ruger SR45 with a Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser combo on it is pretty awesome as a bedside home defense gun. It fits my hands great, runs great, handles recoil great, handles heavy loads great, hits what you aim at really great, and looks great, too. Big sucker, too. I swap out carry guns depending on the season/clothing. With the weather turning colder, I've been carrying the P-01 or the Kahr CM45. If you've never shot the P-01, I'd heartily encourage you to do so. I've been a CZ fan since way back, but the P-01 is IMHO the ultimate evolution of the series. The CM45 is proving to be a real surprise, and I say that having had and sold a Springfield XDs .45. Thanks for confirming my sanity, by the way. I'm a semi-retired mental health professional (retired AF E-9 as well), so I'm always somewhat in doubt of how I'm doing in the "nuts vs not nuts" department. Sometimes really in doubt. OK, most of the time really in doubt.

For the record I own a Highpoint JCP .40 and it actually has never FTF in probably 400 rds and shoots as well as my guns that cost 8 times that, Its the ugliest, bulky cumbersome (did I say ugly) thing I have ever seen and I would never trust my life to it, That said for the money its pretty damn impressive. As something to keep at the cabin or as truck bag plinker its hard to argue with $169

Plus, from what I've read, if you accidentally melted it with your arc welder they'd replace it free of charge with no questions asked. Not my cup up tea, but guess you can't argue with cheap, meltable, and fully warrantied.

I have and have had a lot of very expensive handguns. Some aren't worth it to me and I sell them. Some are, and they are pretty F&*$ing cool. I have a Sig X6 that can make anyone shoot groups half the size of what they were shooting. The first time I shot it I laughed out loud at how well I shot it. It's not just the inherent accuracy, but the ergonomics. It's beautiful to look at too. I have a Wilson Supergrade that is nearly the same. I just bought an Infinity 10mm that is pretty sweet. I think if you owned these, you'd be nuts to get rid of them.

Did you say XDs 45? I really wanted one... until I shot a couple. Not my style at all. In fact, in my opinion they are completely overrated guns. The only thing I liked was that they shoot 45 ACP. If I had my old AMT Backup 45 back (which I didn't like), I wouldn't trade it for an XDs45.
I've owned a Kahr CM9, nice little pistol even thought the trigger pull was ten miles long. I had a Taurus TCP. Very good little gun. My wife still carries one. Absolutely no complaints except that I wanted more power. I do like Taurus. I've owned and carried Smith snubbies. I've had a lot of guns.
That said, I've settled on two guns for carry. Pretty much on the opposite ends of the spectrum. The one that fits with this thread is my S&W Shield 40. Inexpensive gun that carries very well and shoots far better than a gun that size should. The other one? Well, it's a Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB 45. It's the best handgun I've ever owned. (more so than my cherished Colt 1911)
So, I'm kinda snobbish, but can really appreciate the good value of some lower $$ guns).
You've not lost your mind, SS, you're just being practical.

I do still have an absolutely pristine 5" S&W Model 29-5 .44 Magnum with a fully lugged barrel that I will never sell. It's a thing of beauty and shoots big old bullets like a charm. That one is the exception to the rule right now, not that there might not be more in the future.

DF6EED7D-3BF2-40F1-8779-B3BBE08C9B67_zpsdo7sxc3b.jpg

Last Edited:
They only made this one for a few years. And it's after they started including the enhancement package that corrected the problems the earlier models had with the most powerful loads. It shoots like an absolute dream and is nice just to look at as well. I bought it used. Found it sitting in Woodland Guns and Ammo on consignment. Other than the turn ring, bluing is essentially 100%. Gets a lot of looks at the range as well.

Molded polymer frames cost a small fraction of what their aluminum and steel counterparts do to produce, CNC slides and small parts no longer require as many skilled machinists to produce. If you are willing to use these processes the price of the finished product drops faster than the quality. That said, my HK USP's are still miles above my Glocks in accuracy and trigger feel. Also remember materials have never made up for poor design (S&W Sigma, Ruger P series, etc)
YMMV.

Actually I'm going to stand behind my comment. In my experience shooting both My USP compact 40 and my Glock 23 the USP is the More Accurate and precise of the two by a considerable margin. The USP tactical with target trigger and barrel o-ring is even more so.

Troll comments with no value added are why my post count is so low, I hate dealing with them.:mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top