JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
its been a long time since i shot my 22lr guns. always heard this and that about lead fouling but never had a problem personally... am i missing something?

sunday, i ran 50 CCI SV and 2-300 rounds of 22LR thunderblanks (remington thunderbolts) thru my 10/22 16" barrel with my SiCO hybrid 46 cal can on it. i know it is advised to NOT run 22lr thru a sealed suppressor but i did and literally had no lead fouling that i could see even with a boroscope. maybe the so called fouling is staying in the barrel and not reaching the can? all i know is there was a lot more debris in the reciever than without the can on it. the can doesnt even radiate heat when i shoot 22lr thru it.

maybe my can being a 46 cal is large enough for all the crap to pass thru it? nothing on the first baffle and i even had the 5.56 end cap on it and there was nothin on it in reguards to lead deposits.

maybe i just dont know what lead fouling looks like?

i made sure to shoot some 5.56 thru it afterwards to "blow out" any crap from the 22lr that MIGHT be in there.

am i gonna mess this thing up?

oh and another thing, it weighs the same before and after shooting it so i am thinking im good as long as i blast some 5.56 or 7.62 thru it

I've shot quite a bit of .22 thru my TROS .223 suppressor and I don't see any lead fouling inside.
Maybe it gets blown out when I put it on the .223 rifle :s0130: :s0092:

I have a serviceable .22lr suppressor (Gemtech Alpine). I have disassembled it a few times for cleaning (probably every 300 to 500 rounds). I typically shoot CCI standard velocity or other lead, not plated ammo, as most plated stuff I have is not subsonic, at least in a rifle or moderate length handgun barrel.
Have used this can exclusively on .22lr, on two rifles and three or four handguns.

My observations upon disassembly at this frequency has been that, although dirty, mostly from powder fouling, and likely some bullet lube, I have only found a fairly minimal amount of lead and mostly on the first couple baffles closest to firearm muzzle engagement. However, it definitely looked like lead as I gently scraped it off the baffles. The dealer I bought the can from, and the manufacturer recommend periodic cleaning. The dealer said he has an earlier version of the can that does not disassemble. He periodically weighs it, and noted that it has gained some weight with use. He also said that he periodically soaks it in a solution to get all the crud out that will dissolve and then lets it thoroughly dry before use.

Your money = your choice, but from what I see when I disassemble the rimfire can for cleaning, I will not fire 22lr through my centerfire cans much once they are in my hands (currently awaiting atf processing). Rimfire cans are pretty inexpensive compared to the cost of a decent centerfire can.

thanks for the advice, i dont plan on shooting a lot of 22lr thru my can. just every once in a while. if the HPA goes thru i will be buying a 22can

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top