JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

During all the craziness, I joined the NRA to help preserve my second amendment rights. I watched how they addressed the situation and was pretty disappointed. Rather than show leadership to help address the issue and be part of constructive change, they pretty much threw out a bunch of non-realistic options. Quite frankly, I found that they were more interested in protecting the gun manufactures rather than protecting the rights of the individuals.

So now, I am contemplating how best to preserve my 2nd amendment rights, and feel like the path the NRA is taking is going to result in time in more draconian limitations. Are there any other organizations that migth do a better job of looking after me the shooter, and Colt, Ruger or Smith & Wesson? How is Oregon Firearms Federation? Any other thoughts?

Here is a link to a podcast that really helped me frame my thoughts: <broken link removed>

Thanks

Don't think for a second that the NRA isn't doing work for us. If every gun owner was an NRA member, none of these current events would even be an issue. All the negative press causes non involved gun owners to be afraid to join NRA to be on "some list" while posts like this and discussions between gun owners about the NRA not doing enough cause even involved gun owners to reconsider.

Do gun owners everywhere a favor and get everyone you ever meet that owns a gun to join the NRA. Last christmas I bought NRA memberships for 50 people and others chipped in for a lot more than that. It's important.

They suck because they won't tell it like it is; can't tell it like it is, however they are the only lobbying group big enough to line pockets and shake the right hands.

The NRA is an outstanding organization as is GOA, OSA USCCA, OFF, SO, SUPPORT THEM ALL.

Don't think for a second that the NRA isn't doing work for us. If every gun owner was an NRA member, none of these current events would even be an issue. All the negative press causes non involved gun owners to be afraid to join NRA to be on "some list" while posts like this and discussions between gun owners about the NRA not doing enough cause even involved gun owners to reconsider.

Do gun owners everywhere a favor and get everyone you ever meet that owns a gun to join the NRA. Last christmas I bought NRA memberships for 50 people and others chipped in for a lot more than that. It's important.

if we didnt have the NRA we wouldnt be gun owners right now as far as im concerned, so i completely agree with you here. if i had the money i would support them just on principle. i dont agree with some of the things they say but im happy that they are not allowing anyone to just add restrictions to guns without a fight. i think that i would join OFF first though. oregon has much better chances of taking our rights than the feds do. we need to support our local lobbyists first and then if you can support the NRA. the only alternative to the NRA is disarmament.

The NRA isn't perfect. It never has been and never will be. I will keep sending them money until I am dead. The good they do is worth it. There isn't another option on that scale. You go from Wal-Mart to a lemonade stand.

For me, the NRA did exactly what I wanted them to do in the last "emergency". They did not give anything up(What sheep call "compromise". Of course, compromise is when two sides give a little. Not when one side is expected to cave and get nothing, in the name of "compromise". It's confusing and not at all based in reality.) and stood firm against the insanity. I can't think of a single option they gave that was unreasonable or unrealistic. We have to stop giving in to the idea that guns around Americans present danger. Guns around Americans present safety. I want my son in a school that has armed men and women. He is always with an armed person out of school, why not while he's there?

No more pretending that guns are dangerous because scared people can't handle taking their lives into their hands. No more pretending that gun owners are the fringe. I don't want to take anyone's rights. The ones trying to take mine are the fascists. Anyone that cites their non-existent "Right To Not Be Afraid" can remember that I am powerless to quell their insanity. "I knew a guy that got shot once, so I'm afraid of guns." It's a good thing those people never met someone that was in a car wreck, or else they would never be able to get across town, would they?

Support the NRA and only hold them accountable for the "compromises" they made in the past and don't allow them to do it in the future. I want the acts of '34, '68 & '86 taken back. I don't ask for or apply for my rights. I'm an American and I'm tired of being treated like a Soviet.

Quite frankly, I found that they were more interested in protecting the gun manufactures rather than protecting the rights of the individuals.

I see it as they were protecting what was being attacked. In this last case, they weren't trying to take away our rights to own guns, per say, but limit what guns and magazines were able to be owned and sold/manufactured. So they backed the companies making the things we want to buy and tried to keep it so those things could still be sold. But when it came to the background check stuff, they backed us on that, and that had nothing to do with manufacturers. So just because they look out for gun makers, don't take that as meaning they aren't on the gun owners side. Both sides are needed.

All members in the NRA have a say
We vote for its leadership.
I have been a member since the 50's. They have done more to protect the 2nd than any other organization. But GOA, Nationally and O.F.F. Locally are also true fighters and very deserving of our support as well. OSSA is a local ARM Of the NRA And do a lot of work on range issues as well. I support ANY true defender of the second. Just beware and observant of the fakes and pretenders that try to come across as pro, but siphon donations to the anti's and there are some out there.

Hello all,

During all the craziness, I joined the NRA to help preserve my second amendment rights. I watched how they addressed the situation and was pretty disappointed. Rather than show leadership to help address the issue and be part of constructive change, they pretty much threw out a bunch of non-realistic options. Quite frankly, I found that they were more interested in protecting the gun manufactures rather than protecting the rights of the individuals.

So now, I am contemplating how best to preserve my 2nd amendment rights, and feel like the path the NRA is taking is going to result in time in more draconian limitations. Are there any other organizations that migth do a better job of looking after me the shooter, and Colt, Ruger or Smith & Wesson? How is Oregon Firearms Federation? Any other thoughts?

Here is a link to a podcast that really helped me frame my thoughts: <broken link removed>

Thanks

OFF IS "A" NUMBER ONE !
Kevin Starrett is an extremely strong and active challenger and lobyist for the 2nd amendment. Support him fully
As for the NRA, support them fully also, and if they do something you don't care for, voice it to them. They are responsive to members.
Especially the NRA-ILA.

"I support ANY true defender of the second. Just beware and observant of the fakes and pretenders that try to come across as pro, but siphon donations to the anti's and there are some out there"
If you belong to a union you may be aware of an organization they are promoting as a union alternative to the NRA. The name escapes me now but the trade unions are really pushing it and a couple spin-offs to draw members and money from the NRA. You will recognize it when you see it. They talk about hunting and conservation and Teddy Roosevelt but never about the 2ND Amendment and your rights to bear arms and self defense. That wouldn't square with their democrat party masters.

redhippie wants NRA to
"help address the issue and be part of constructive change"
So,
What is the issue?
Change what?

Is the issue "all this violence in America"?
Of a list of solutions, what's on or off the table?

Entertain the idea that immediately after conviction of murder, execution by firing squad by civilian volunteers.
Is that offensive? does that violate "life is precious"?

Change the Constitution of the United States?
Progressive idea, progressing to what?

After the last big vote where the NRA tore Barry a new one, Barry was so mad he was reduced to lying about the NRA. :s0114: After all, what else could he do ? He certainly didn't have facts on his side.

After the last big vote where the NRA tore Barry a new one, Barry was so mad he was reduced to lying about the NRA. :s0114: After all, what else could he do ? He certainly didn't have facts on his side.

Thinking about the amount of anger in his face after that vote still brings me great joy.

I really encourage contributions to SAF. they are probably the most effective organizatio0n out there for defending our rights....EXCEPT for the NRA.

Look, I think the NRA has lots of problems, but the bottom line is that NO ONE else can claim 5 Million dues-paying members WHO WILL VOTE on the issue of 2A rights. And of course that doesn't count the many millions who will vote where NRA says who don't bother to join.

That kind of clout is something absolutely NO other gun-rights organization can claim. And yes, THAT is what congressmen fear. the prospect of even 1/3 of eligible voters in their district who are mad, motivated and dedicated to seeing ANYONE else in office.

There simply isn't another organization in existence that even comes CLOSE to the NRA in terms of influence. Which is why I became a life member, vote in NRA elections and am generally as involved as my finances allow me to be. I would wish for a better vessel, but this is the one we have. And in fairness, they are getting better year-by-year.

Seriously does anyone think the NRA didn't have a huge hand in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happening with federal gun laws after newtown and the incredible push by the antis?

Become an NRA life member first. Then worry about other organizations. You can do the easy pay way, or find a $300 life member deal all the time. If you really can't afford that, there are cheap to free ways to be a yearly member. The NRA needs those numbers in representation.

Seriously does anyone think the NRA didn't have a huge hand in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happening with federal gun laws after newtown and the incredible push by the antis?

Become an NRA life member first. Then worry about other organizations. You can do the easy pay way, or find a $300 life member deal all the time. If you really can't afford that, there are cheap to free ways to be a yearly member. The NRA needs those numbers in representation.

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::)

Yeah, because we had ANY CHANCE of enacting more FEDERAL laws enabling gun ownership in the last 6 months.

We NARROWLY missed draconian gun laws this last congressional session. You REALLY think we could have rolled federal gun legislation BACK?
WTF planet are you living on?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads