JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now the NRA has about 5 million members, but imagine what they could do if ALL 80 million + gun owners were members?
Besides, without the NRA you wouldn't even have guns now, they'd have been confiscated years ago.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Seriously does anyone think the NRA didn't have a huge hand in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happening with federal gun laws after newtown and the incredible push by the antis?

Become an NRA life member first. Then worry about other organizations. You can do the easy pay way, or find a $300 life member deal all the time. If you really can't afford that, there are cheap to free ways to be a yearly member. The NRA needs those numbers in representation.

NRA AND GOA were responsible for the pressure on our legislators on behalf of their members for suppressing all the federal anti gun bills. Support them physically by sending letters, signing petitions when needed and send whatever donations you can afford. Most of all get everyone you can to join ......more numbers, more clout !

Yeah, because we had ANY CHANCE of enacting more FEDERAL laws enabling gun ownership in the last 6 months.

We NARROWLY missed draconian gun laws this last congressional session. You REALLY think we could have rolled federal gun legislation BACK?
WTF planet are you living on?

What are you talking about? Maybe you read that wrong?

redhippie wants NRA to
"help address the issue and be part of constructive change"
So,
What is the issue?
Change what?

Is the issue "all this violence in America"?
Of a list of solutions, what's on or off the table?

Entertain the idea that immediately after conviction of murder, execution by firing squad by civilian volunteers.
Is that offensive? does that violate "life is precious"?

Change the Constitution of the United States?
Progressive idea, progressing to what?

The national outrage over Newtown was a compilation of the anger from events like Aurora, Virginia Tech, Arizona, etc. etc. The NRA did a great job at the national level of ensuring that no significant changes occurred. I say there is a real danger that we all will be victims of this type of success. We all know there will be more Newtowns. Do you think the pressure for draconian reform will be any less than this spring?

By "Constructive Change" I mean the NRA taking an active role in the discussion around issues such as mental health care. Guns are tool and it is the people that are the problems in these situations. It isn't about these sick folks getting guns, (the Newtown shooter got denied at a gun store) but having the means to insert oversight where it is necessary. To a lesser extent, the examination of anti-depressants role in mass shootings. Another issue could be the violence in TV, Movies and video games. I could go on and on.

Instead, we get "arm the teachers" in every school. After shooting IDPA matches with Portland's finest, I don't even want them in a crowded school environment with my kids. We can't put a swat team specifically trained for a active shooter situation into every school.

The final thought I want you to think about is demographics. Which way is the country been going in the last 20 years? Yeah, bastion states like Idaho, Utah and Wyoming will probably preserve your rights, but California is long gone, Colorado is mostly gone, and where are Washington and Oregon going? Who would have thought that could happen 20 years ago? I think the only chance, we have is to focus the debate on the facts such as gun violence is actually much lower than 30 years ago, that people are safer and that these active shooters are a statistical minority. With that said, the NRA or someone should be an active voice in addressing the underlying causes of these incidents. If not, they aren't going to have any legitimacy in the discussion and will be dismissed eventually.

So I don't get it.. Do you want to own guns or not? There were some very serious threats after newtown, and the NRA held fast. You want them to do something about antidepressant use now? You think a smaller group is capable of entering any sort of discussion about larger issues? The NRA most certainly did not only say arm the teachers. Did you just get that from watching the media blasts after wlp gave his first speech after that tragedy? The NRA does most of its work behind the scenes, as they should. I don't want my NRA to be out trying to lead some public discussion of mental health care, not their job. I want them cutting deals and putting pressure on the people we elect to focus on those real problems instead of law abiding gun owners.

The national outrage over Newtown was a compilation of the anger from events like Aurora, Virginia Tech, Arizona, etc. etc. The NRA did a great job at the national level of ensuring that no significant changes occurred. I say there is a real danger that we all will be victims of this type of success. We all know there will be more Newtowns. Do you think the pressure for draconian reform will be any less than this spring?

By "Constructive Change" I mean the NRA taking an active role in the discussion around issues such as mental health care. Guns are tool and it is the people that are the problems in these situations. It isn't about these sick folks getting guns, (the Newtown shooter got denied at a gun store) but having the means to insert oversight where it is necessary. To a lesser extent, the examination of anti-depressants role in mass shootings. Another issue could be the violence in TV, Movies and video games. I could go on and on.

Instead, we get "arm the teachers" in every school. After shooting IDPA matches with Portland's finest, I don't even want them in a crowded school environment with my kids. We can't put a swat team specifically trained for a active shooter situation into every school.

The final thought I want you to think about is demographics. Which way is the country been going in the last 20 years? Yeah, bastion states like Idaho, Utah and Wyoming will probably preserve your rights, but California is long gone, Colorado is mostly gone, and where are Washington and Oregon going? Who would have thought that could happen 20 years ago? I think the only chance, we have is to focus the debate on the facts such as gun violence is actually much lower than 30 years ago, that people are safer and that these active shooters are a statistical minority. With that said, the NRA or someone should be an active voice in addressing the underlying causes of these incidents. If not, they aren't going to have any legitimacy in the discussion and will be dismissed eventually.

You are disgusting. Cash your check for trolling this and I'm sure other sites and stay the hell away from us.

You are trash and we know who you are. Keep this bubblegum on the Huffington Post forum.

Well, this is interesting.

Exactly what am I trolling? Because I have an opinion that differs from yours. Because I want to preserve my gun rights in an environment that is sliding towards loosing them. For speaking a truth that is different than what is preached. For daring to ask for an alternative. Have I been rude or disingenuous?

So what is your alternative? Just not give one inch until it is all gone?

I really like the "trash" part. That did make me laugh. Have a nice day.

PS. I came up with this for the NRA supporting the arming of teachers: http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...orce-pushes-to-arm-teachers-school-staff?lite

??? I think you both are pro gun.
Not sure what the dispute is.

Unlike politicians, the NRA, GOA, Etc; are responsive to members thinking. When you view something as a compromise, express yourself to them. They hear you.
They came out with all barrels loaded this year to shut down the anti gun legislation. Even the NRA got hardcore when letters flooded in to them to toughen up.
They are our ally. Support them with everything you can.

Thinking about the amount of anger in his face after that vote still brings me great joy.

Brightened my day too :D:D

Simply put....
There can be NO MORE, ie; zero compromise in 2nd Amendment issues. NONE.
Express that to the NRA, GOA, and all pro 2nd Amendment groups. And especially to the fup politicians !

Simply put....
There can be NO MORE, ie; zero compromise in 2nd Amendment issues. NONE.

In fact, there should be REVERSE compromise -- i.e. elimination of state and federal laws that compromise the state and federal constitutional gun rights. (e.g. Why should I need a permission slip from the state government to carry concealed?)

In fact, there should be REVERSE compromise -- i.e. elimination of state and federal laws that compromise the state and federal constitutional gun rights. (e.g. Why should I need a permission slip from the state government to carry concealed?)

Very true and in fact there should be a push for legislative reduction and reduction or elimination of about 75% of the laws in this country.
If you have ever been in a full stocked law library it is about a city block 4 story building to house the books that list all the laws in this country.
Creating laws has become a full time job security only task now. Most laws are redundant in octuplet. Yet they keep adding thousands more every day.

IT's pretty easy to be critical of the NRA. It's even easier to do nothing! So get off your duff, quit complaining that the world is not perfect to YOU and truly support the 2A. Join: NRA, GOA, OFF, your choice. We must all stand together, or we will hang separately.
OH, I just remembered: the latest slogan of the NRA.... STAND and FIGHT. Now, we're talking turkey.
I like that!

I've belonged to the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) for a lot of years. Very good organoization and very effective. They have led and won several landmark 2nd Amendment cases, McDonald v Chicago, the WA DC one (the NRA joined very late and tried to take credit). I also belong to the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep & Bear Arms (CCRKBA), Gun Owners of America and Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF). I am also a Life Member in the NRA.

Join a good group & don't forget to send $$ from time to time.

Of all the groups the NRA & SAF are the most effective.

By the way, SAF owns radio staions across the country and carries shows such as Tom Gresham's Gun Talk and Armed American Radio Network. Both can be heard in the Portland area on AM 1410 KBNP .

Jerry

The NRA stayed out of some of the lawsuits because they were too broadly written. They want very specific, narrow results. Makes it harder to overturn the decision and easier to regulate.

Deen

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Red;
The calculated outrage you cite is the news media and the antis trumpeting their bile.
The actual rage that I felt at the news of those shootings was that there wasn't anyone there to put those perps down.
Gabby Gifford's shooter was apprehended by a CCL that chased him down.

The NRA is about guns and our rights, not mental health care.
Sick folks can get screwdrivers, knives, hammers, crowbars, cars...I can go on and on too.

As to a SWAT team in every school, I support armed teachers, and armed school secretaries, and armed principles, and armed school janitors, and armed moms n dads. I support the return of shooting ranges at every middle and high school in America.

I'm now one of the armed and stealthy because of the shootings. I admired the CCL that ran to the sound of shooting at Clackamas Town Center, drew his weapon and challenged the shooter. Whereupon the shooter turned his rifle on himself and suicided. Police showed up afterwards to clean up the mess.

You want me to think about Demographics? Look up the definition before you use it in a sentence. Maybe trend? I see indicies that tell me that folks are alarmed and are getting up the nerve to do something about it. The shooting club I belong to closes it's firing lines and hosts "club open house" to give interested folks an opportunity to tour the campus, get their questions answered. There's a lot of folks visiting, some openly gay, which indicates to me that their irrational fear of mixing with traditional firearms enthusiasts is being overcome by current events. We welcome everyone, as long as they abide by club rules, be safe.

As to the underlying causes of these acts of terror, this is clear to me.
Since capitol punishment has been stopped, and hotel, resort accommidations are provided at US prisons, There is no deterrence to misbehaving. There is the whining about how expensive it is to incarcerate convicted felons, so the government officials instituted catch n release.

Voter identification before participation is feared I suspect because folks voted into office are there by illegal voters casting illegal votes. If you don't have a valid ID, it's illegal for you to vote.

If the shootings are a statistical minority, why regulate, disarm the millions of us that legally own arms? Make us jump through hoops to prove our identification, bare our histories, submit to scrutiny that is not required of voters?

Finally, you play the parent card and (as if we are not also parents, you arrogant turd) (btw, both my children are now adults) don't even want them (SWAT) in a crowded school environment with your kids.

We have what we have, we will not compromise and become part of the libtard cesspool.

Here is something constructive for us all to ponder:
Protected with guns- POTUS
Protected with guns- Congressmen & women
Protected with guns- Mayors
Protected with guns- Politicians
Protected with guns- Celebrities
Protected with guns- Wall street executives
Protected with guns- Bill Gates
Protected with guns- Rosie Odonnel (sorry folks, I know how revolting she is but it proves a point)

Protected with a sign saying No Guns Allowed- Our nation's schools.

Who, in your mind, is more important to you?

Here is something constructive for us all to ponder:
Protected with guns- POTUS
Protected with guns- Congressmen & women
Protected with guns- Mayors
Protected with guns- Politicians
Protected with guns- Celebrities
Protected with guns- Wall street executives
Protected with guns- Bill Gates
Protected with guns- Rosie Odonnel (sorry folks, I know how revolting she is but it proves a point)

Protected with a sign saying No Guns Allowed- Our nation's schools.

Who, in your mind, is more important to you?

You left out Post Offices under "No Guns Allowed"

Deen

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top