JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cant speak for the world of scopes but being a Leupold owner of many and advocate I emailed them about this subject and received this response:

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: Ask a Leupold Expert - Technical Product Question [REF:981288323536]

Thor,
All Leupold scopes can withstand unique air rifle recoil.
Best Regards,
---- Original Message ----

Cant speak for the world of scopes but being a Leupold owner of many and advocate I emailed them about this subject and received this response:

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: Ask a Leupold Expert - Technical Product Question [REF:981288323536]

Thor,
All Leupold scopes can withstand unique air rifle recoil.
Best Regards,
---- Original Message ----

Two other big names I know of that make the same claim, Bushnell and Burris, and based on my experience with a small sample of both, they live up to the claim. And with Bushnell, this seem to be true for both their cheap scopes as well as the higher end glass, I have an old 3-9 Sportview that has to be 20 years old, I have no idea how many guns that thing has been on, but it just keeps hanging in there.

Then there are the companies that specialize in air gun scopes, Leapers/UTG, Centerpoint (Crosman), and Hawke. I've used them all, the only ones that ever failed were the Leapers, one of the reasons I stopped using them. Hawke is okay, but the glass is only okay at best, even on their upper end lines. The Centerpoints seem durable enough, but like Leapers, they're heavy, and again, the glass is only okay at best. But then, what can you expect from a cheap scope, and how good does it really need to be if it's rarely, if ever, going to be used at more than 50 yards? Later.

Dave

Lol at this thread missing the biggest problem. This guy posting the thread was hoping everyone would confirm that the dude was a racist and "oh no! He was right!" Turned into "yeah well you should have seen the way he was treating them". So was the guy a racist because air rifles recoil differently? Or was he a racist because he didn't let them hold the scope long enough? I'm sure there's a reason that he was racist!!!! Let's get him... Maybe post his name up here for everyone to see. He must have been a Nazi too. Only Nazis think air rifles recoil differently.

Have had a 25 year old leupold vxII 3-9 on my rws springer for about a year now, and it has not killed it yet.
The Scar 17 also produces the forward recoil impulse from its bolt carrier slamming back and forth. Thus becoming well known for eating optics.

So I was at bass pro in LV and overheard a group of people talking about which scope to buy for their air rifle. Idk which scope they decided on but when they asked the worker behind the counter to look at it, the worker said he doesn't recommended any of the scopes in the display case to be put on an air rifle. The group of people looked confused, I was confused I even asked why not? He simply said that the recoil from an air gun will damage the scope(because it recoils differently from a real gun). I told him: That's crazy! and walked away.

Idk if the dude was racist or what, but he pretty much refused to sell the scope to them(group of asians) I mean he didn't say no, but you could tell he didn't want to sell them the scope.

Anyhow, is it true about the recoil damaging the scope? I think its BS.
Yes its true. He was just saving them the hassle and headache of having to try it, break it and then trying to return it...

Lol at this thread missing the biggest problem. This guy posting the thread was hoping everyone would confirm that the dude was a racist and "oh no! He was right!" Turned into "yeah well you should have seen the way he was treating them". So was the guy a racist because air rifles recoil differently? Or was he a racist because he didn't let them hold the scope long enough? I'm sure there's a reason that he was racist!!!! Let's get him... Maybe post his name up here for everyone to see. He must have been a Nazi too. Only Nazis think air rifles recoil differently.
His name was rob go figure.

So I was at bass pro in LV and overheard a group of people talking about which scope to buy for their air rifle. Idk which scope they decided on but when they asked the worker behind the counter to look at it, the worker said he doesn't recommended any of the scopes in the display case to be put on an air rifle. The group of people looked confused, I was confused I even asked why not? He simply said that the recoil from an air gun will damage the scope(because it recoils differently from a real gun). I told him: That's crazy! and walked away.

Idk if the dude was racist or what, but he pretty much refused to sell the scope to them(group of asians) I mean he didn't say no, but you could tell he didn't want to sell them the scope.

Anyhow, is it true about the recoil damaging the scope? I think its BS.

It's not BS. Why assume racism? The salesman was right, and probably frustrated that the group was looking at optics for air rifles when they had no clue what they were doing.

It's not BS. Why assume racism? The salesman was right, and probably frustrated that the group was looking at optics for air rifles when they had no clue what they were doing.

3f2.jpg

Imagine someone walking up to the counter and looking at a .22 Mag rifle then saying how excited they are to be able to buy the brick of thunderbolts for cheap plinking with it. Then arguing when told they can't. I don't know about you guys, but having worked in a retail setting some days it gets tough to try and "argue facts" with the general public that thinks they know more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top