JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which type of rifle scope do you prefer to use? SFP, FFP, Fixed, or Iron?

• My general preference is to use Second Focal Plane (SFP) rifle scopes

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • My general preference is to use First Focal Plane (FFP) rifle scopes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • My general preference is to use Fixed Power rifle scopes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I don't need no stinkin' rifle scope! I prefer Iron Sights

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
A recent poll elicited NWFA member preferences between MIL and MOA rifle scopes. This is a related, follow-up poll inspired by user comments. The single choice question here is, which do you prefer to use with your rifle scopes, first focal plane (FFP), second focal plane (SFP), fixed, or just iron sights?

For reference, a good description of FFP vs SFP was provided by Darkker in 2018: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/ffp-vs-sfp-scopes.283875/#post-2108878

Most of my rifles are from the time when optics were uncommon at best and expensive.
So those rifles will not have a scope.
A well made open sight or aperture sight works well with my rifles and my shooting.
I shoot well enough with these rifles and sights , to bring home a first place prize more often than not...or game when in season.

With that said...
It is wise to tailor your rifle , your ammunition and shooting style to what , where and how you shoot.
Which may mean a rifle scope..
I prefer a simple fixed power scope usually a 4x or 6x .
Again...that style of scope fits my rifle and shooting style / needs.
Andy

Edit to add :
I voted for iron sights , since most of my rifles use 'em.
With that said....I have nothing against scopes or scoped rifles , so they don't "stink" in my view....:D

Last Edited:
I usually enjoy shooting with iron sights the most.

Though more of my rifles have red dots or similar. A few fixed power optics is in there too.

When it comes to long range stuff, I prefer zoom capabilities over what plane the reticle is on. I don't really need a large reticle if I can't see the target! I've got a nice 2nd plane 8-40 with a very simple reticle, I love it, as on 40 power I can see a gnat on my target at 500 yards. Sure it doesn't have any Christmas tree hold overs or anything like that, but for what I use it on, they are not needed.

That being said a 1st plane reticle is really nice for competitions that are becoming more popular, like PRS NRL and NRL22. Where am enlarges Christmas tree reticle that is fairly accurate at distance increases the second shots hold and hit without having to dial in any corrections.

Not really a matter of which is better, but what is the right tool for the job at hand.

I prefer the simplicity of second focal plane optics for big game hunting and general shooting.

First focal plane optics are my preference for long range and varmint hunting where targets are small and wind drift, and bullet drop are more of a factor.

Target shooting: Highest possible magnification with Second Focal Plane reticle and adjustable parallax
Varmint shooting: Widest spread from low to high ie 3-24 or 8-32 with SFP and adjustable parallax.

I don't own a First Focal Plane scope yet, I expect there will be an adjustment period. I imagine PRS matches with varying ranges are where FFP shines.

The ranging ability on my SFP scopes is limited to a specific and indicated magnification. On my NF 8-32, the ranging reticle is accurate at 20x and on my Golden Eagle 15-60 it is 40x. Most of my ranging is with range finding binos...

I don't think it's a preference, rather type of use, unlike MRAD or MOA.

I have both and like them for what they are on and used for.
All of my scopes are MOA.
If my first scope had been MRAD, then everything would be that.

I have FFP and SFP (as well as fixed power and open sights) scopes and it depends on the scope and usage. For hunting in general SFP makes the most sense to me. I zero for maximum point blank range and just keep it simple.

If I'm using a scope for ranging, such as long distance, or has any kind of bullet drop compensation I want FFP so it will work as intended. I have two FFP scopes, and Arken 6-25 on my long range target rifle and a PA 1-6 ACSS on my AR308 which is a defensive weapon that also doubles as my backup hunting rifle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads