JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So when I'm at the range I always bring a minimum of 2 guns, usually 3 or 4. With each gun I go through a minimum of 150 rounds because ya never learn anything from 50 rounds. Basically it takes about 30 minutes a weapon unless I'm practicing double taps and then it's more like 20 per gun.
I reload so I save my brass and at an indoor range ya gotta stay on top of it or the neat freak that works there or in the next lane will clean up after you and you'll lose your brass.
I get home after spending 60 to 75 minutes at the range and now I clean... CZ 75BSA 15 minutes. 1911 including the slide takes 30. My AR's take me 30 minutes and now it's on to the brass. By the time I punch the primers on 450-500 rounds there goes another hour. Tumble takes 3 minutes of effort and I hand prime as I watch evening tv. Reloading 500 rounds takes about 90 minutes.
So for 75 minutes of range time I spend 75 to 105 minutes cleaning and the another 2.5 hours to do brass and reload so 4+ hours! Dang it's a good thing I'm retired!
I'm anal about cleaning my guns, gotta clean them even if I only put one mag through.

Question, do you clean your weapons thoroughly or do you just run a snake through them and call it good?

These days, the only time I clean is when tar starts oozing out of the cracks and pin holes. I don't own sensitive guns- only guns that will run full of mud. And they do run fine full of carbon mud, so long as you keep them wet.

30 minutes cleaning a AR after 150 rounds? I run a bore brush down and wipe them which takes about 2 minutes. After a few thousand rounds they require an actual cleaning which takes more like 30 minutes.

I order 5000 rounds of ammo online, it shows up at my door. I go to the range and shoot, pick up my brass and give it to the guy in the next lane and go home and put my feet up.

If I was retired and had nothing better to do Id love to piddle around with firearms and reload,
Sounds to me like your going to wear out the barrels with a brush though!

30 minutes cleaning a AR after 150 rounds? I run a bore brush down and wipe them which takes about 2 minutes. After a few thousand rounds they require an actual cleaning which takes more like 30 minutes.

I order 5000 rounds of ammo online, it shows up at my door. I go to the range and shoot, pick up my brass and give it to the guy in the next lane and go home and put my feet up.

If I was retired and had nothing better to do Id love to piddle around with firearms and reload,
Sounds to me like your going to wear out the barrels with a brush though!

I need to be that guy in the next lane:D:D
I run oiled patches through the barrel until they come out clean. It's the BGC that takes so !$%#$#^^ long. Heck I even bought a sonic cleaner thinking it would make it easier and take me less time... Did ya see that pig fly by?

Depends on what I intend to do with the gun after shooting it. If I am going to carry it then it will be cleaned. If I am not going to carry it then it may make several trips to the range be for cleaning. Note here, I go to the range often so no chance they sit long without cleaning.:D

I have 2 guns that I cleaned after round 1,3,5, and 10, and never thereafter. I am still waiting for them to fail. It's an experiment in reliability. One is a SR22 the other a CZ75 P07 Duty.

All others I clean every 300 rds.

I need to be that guy in the next lane:D:D
I run oiled patches through the barrel until they come out clean. It's the BGC that takes so !$%#$#^^ long. Heck I even bought a sonic cleaner thinking it would make it easier and take me less time... Did ya see that pig fly by?

That's why I went to a piston on my AR.....:cool:
Nowhere as dirty as a DI AR.....:oops:

Depends on what I intend to do with the gun after shooting it. If I am going to carry it then it will be cleaned. If I am not going to carry it then it may make several trips to the range be for cleaning. Note here, I go to the range often so no chance they sit long without cleaning.:D

I'm with Jim - plinkers may see a few trips before a cleaning but carry and home Deffense guns are cleaned ASAP.

Yup, and since the two guns I shoot most are my carry pistol and home defense AR pistol, I'm pretty much cleaning every time I get home. HD shotgun gets cleaned much less often for some reason. I can shoot a couple hundred rounds and bring it home and put it right back in its home without even thinking about cleaning it, yet the others get cleaned if I put 1 round through them.

Me? I don't worry about it so much. I have two guns I rotate carrying and they may see a few hundred rounds between cleanings. The last couple of years I've not shot as much as in the past so that may not happen very often. One of those guns is a 1911 and the "normal" cleaning is a field strip and clean. About every 5th time or so it gets ripped all the way, and I do mean all the way, down and scrubbed/lubed.
My hunting rifle usually sees little shooting except for when it's time for load development. When that happens it'll get 30-ish rounds thru it and get cleaned. Normal years it will get checked for zero before hunting season and the bore will be left that way until I put it away after the season is over. When I clean it, the bore will be spotless.

I like my guns clean, especially my carry gun. Range guns don't always get cleaned on each use. It depends on the type of ammo and the conditions (was it wet outside?). I've never had a single issue with rust, corrosion or failures due to not cleaning each time I shoot. I simply don't have a lot of extra time, and the extra time I do have, I want to spend shooting. When I do get some spare time, I'll grab a gun or two and give them a good thorough clean and lube.

As for brass, I never gave it much thought. But now I'm gathering the tools to begin reloading, so brass looks a lot different to me now ;)

Some of my guns get cleaned routinely but I hardly ever clean the AK-based guns or my target .22 rifle -they seem to like it that way. And if I'm pretty sure I'm going to shoot something again next week I'll let it go. In my safe and in my climate I don't have to clean anything right away to keep it from rusting. So I don't. I'm pretty sure I could store my 870 on the roof as long as I keep a thin coat of oil all over it. Poor thing has been treated like a rented mule but it just keeps running.

I do a field strip and wipe down about every 500 rounds and then do a full detail clean about once a year. Of course that's not set in stone, they get cleaned when they need it. Case in point new guns tend to need more cleaning and tinkering until they get broke in.

I like to put away clean guns and will field strip every time. Unless there's a problem I just run some patches to clean & lube barrel, chambers and rails. I'll only detail strip about once a year.

I'm retired and reload and actually enjoy my time cleaning & reloading - no rush and it keeps my costs down and keeps me busy.

My carry gun (as of now) is a G-26.
I keep that pretty clean, field stripping it every 200 rounds (I shoot lead reloads:eek::eek::eek::eek:)

Other Glocks, about the same.

Other pistols/AR, about every 500 rounds.

I reload pistol (rifle soon), but never load enough at one time to get ahead of what I shoot.:(
I find reloading a bit tedious, once I find the correct load for the individual pistol.:(
ie; I load 9's down for my SCCY's, hot for my g-19, middle of road for g-26, etc...

But getting there/experimenting, is fun.:D:D:D

Last Edited:
Six hundred rounds in an hour is a fair bit of shooting.
When I go "out" it's generally like 75-150 rounds and probably 2o-40 minutes. Often it's just one gun.. carry gun. I'm a member of a nearby range though.

Clean? What about inspecting for damage or unusual wear? Then repair or tune?

I clean and inspect a gun every time I shoot it. Inspection is key to sure function and it will prolonging the life of a firearm. I want to spot a problem sooner rather than later. And a gun needs to function when needed!
I know the condition of all my guns. So when I need it next It will be ready. You see I have a few guns. So I never Know when I may shoot a particular gun next?

I also clean and inspect my carry gun every two weeks or less. Quick once over with a old toothbrush. And a little lube on the rails. Even If I don't shoot it. It benefits from having the dirt, lint and sweat cleaned out of it.

I cant know the day I will need it to save my life. But I can make sure it's not broken, rusted or packed with lint.;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top