JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All:

I am looking to buy an Atlas PSR bipod for my AR. These things are not cheap, and they come in two (2) sizes .... short (4.75" - 9") and tall (7" - 13").

Can anyone provide advice on which size to get? One that covers most situations? At the cost of these things, I only get a single opportunity and I do not want to screw it up.

Thanks.

If your bench shooting, the short one. Which I rarely use a bipod on the bench.
For most practical applications out in the field I use the 7-13". I tried the 9" one at first and I was always looking for rocks or hunks of wood to raise it just a couple more inches! So it went back to Brownells and exchanged it.

The taller one would be better if you want to shoot from uneven ground or uncut grass, over tall rocks, that sort of thing. It will be too tall for most prone shooting though. You'd wind up folding it and propping your forend with whatever you have with you or whatever you can find laying around.

You can get them with either mount but not together. I bought the QR rail mount which has a adjustable tensioning locking lever to snug it to the rail, works great. Mine also has the post for connecting a QR sling.

This is a 4x9". They don't work so good with 30rnd mags. Great with small ones.

IMG_0319_zpsfwofd0xj.jpg

7-13 I believe is what I have. Two of them.[/
You can get them with either mount but not together. I bought the QR rail mount which has a adjustable tensioning locking lever to snug it to the rail, works great. Mine also has the post for connecting a QR sling.

How much bottom rail space is needed to fully mount one of these (including space needed for the rear tension adjustment screw and locking lever? Thanks.

Me personally, my use would be the 7-13, as the 5-9 is short for the mags and more for prone or bench. JMHO.
By the way, have you considered a TIPTOP Bipod, Here's a link. Very happy with mine.
http://www.amazon.com/TipTop®-Tactical-Rifle-Bipod-Quicklock/dp/B00TEGIGEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451845895&sr=8-2&keywords=tiptop+bipod

How much bottom rail space is needed to mount the TIPTOP, including room needed to access the rear tension adjustment screw? Thanks.

I will share what I have learned in the field and what I have learned from my cronies.
In the field. A 9" bipod is used in a hasty, pre-planned emplacement' it has an advantage over the 6" bipod.
The 9" bipod is usually adequate, the ground has been prepped with various loppers to cut down foliage. It is preferred because the lower the elevation of the rifle, the more accurate the eye alignment to the axis of the scope, eye alignment is crucial. All effort to achieve a perfect shooting position should be taken days before the need for action is required

I use 6-9 inch bipods for just about everything I do if that matters... Tallest I ever needed a bipod at was 9". Other than those moments I kept my bipods at their lowest. If I need to go taller, I normally just shoot from a kneeling position anyways.

Used to use a 9-13 bipod but not anymore.

Course, what works for me might not work for you.

I haven't used pipods much. Just here and there. The tallest I have seen was around feet. That was used by some coyote hunters for just sitting down and plinking.
That's all i got.Just here to learn

BigBlue, my Tiptop is 3" from tension nut to the front of the mount, but mine isn't like Dyjital's picture, I've got the QD for pic rail.

I only want the QD mount. Can the TipTop with QD mount be mounted with the QD lever on *either* side of the barrel or can the bipod only be mounted in a single configuration? Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top