JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
oppose. We need to stop these folks every step of the way.

To contact your senators look at the related posts history for contact points. Look at the post "All gun ccontrol pass Senate "judicary Committee". That history has several talking points that direct to you to the senators email addresses. Thanks.

We are now up for a senate vote.

Where did you hear that? There is no alert on the OFF site, nothing on the Legislature's calendar, and nothing on Oregonlive.com saying it is coming up for a vote. The last word was the four Senate bills are not going to get a vote.

NWF has the announcement in red lettters now.

I sent State Senator Betty Johnson an email regarding her pending return to work.
Here is her reply:

Thank you for your email.

I have not changed my position on any of the gun bills being proposed; should they come to the floor of the Senate, I will still be a no.

With respect to what has been posted elsewhere, here is exactly what was reported in my facebook post:

"May 31

Budgets, background checks public safety on 'This Week with State Senator Betsy Johnson'. Senator Johnson says legislators are busily working on budgets and some legislators are also talking about reasonable gun background check legislation. Senator Johnson says she has nothing specific to share about any potential legislation, it's just an early conversation, but it is a bi-partisan effort to close some loopholes in Oregon's gun background check system. Senator Johnson says 2nd amendment rights are being respected, and she believes there needs to have a way to have folks who have been adjudicated as mentally ill to be added to the gun registry, so that person would not be able to own a gun. Senator Johnson says nothing on the gun issue has dramatically changed, other than some Democrats and Republicans are sitting down together -- she says gun safety awareness courses are part of this preliminary conversation. 4 previous gun bills are gone and won't be heard. Senator Johnson says those four bills will not be the basis of any conversation about gun laws going on now. She says there is no specific legislation being discussed at this point, and right now, it's just talking."

As you can see, my comments have to do with better reporting of adjudicated mental conditions to NICS (an area that Oregon has a dismal track record on), and promote (NOT MANDATE!) gun safety courses (think a Hunter's Safety Course).

During this entire "gun" discussion, these are two areas that have most often been mentioned by pro 2A constituents. For the Oregonian, OFF or others to somehow "extrapolate" more into what I have said would be, well, I'll let you decide.

In any event, I am sorry that recent reports have caused you concern. I have not, and will not, be changing my position on the proposed bills.

And, I have nothing to do with the New York folks.

I hope this clarifies the issue a bit. If I can offer any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Betsy
(503) 986-1716

You just now noticed that? It's been like that for weeks.

23806765.jpg

bloombergs groups delivered 5000 signatures to the state capitol in support of "background checks". I surely hope the "false Alarms is correct".

I'll continue to email the Senators as issues come in the news. Thanks.

23806765.jpg

Where did you hear that? There is no alert on the OFF site...

There is an alert on OFF's website from June 3rd:

GUN BILLS NOT DEAD - Oregon Firearms Federation

GUN BILLS NOT DEAD

Many of you may have received an email from NRA last week warning of the possible revival of SB 700.

SB 700 is the expansion on background checks that would require you to ask the police for permission to give a rifle to your nephew.

Since that alert was sent, we have received reliable confirmations from Capitol insiders that this is, in fact, very credible.

We have been told that an effort will be made to amend the bill and rush it to the Senate floor. We do not know what amendments are being suggested or what has changed that makes Senate President Peter Courtney think the bill now has a chance to pass. Anything may have happened.

Last session Courtney revived an anti-gun bill that was dead and raced it to the Senate floor with no public hearings. He may well attempt this kind of dirty trick again.

A deal may have been made, a bribe offered, or perhaps Courtney just wants a vote, win or lose, to use against the Republicans.

If this happens of course, we would also have a recorded vote to use against anti-gun Senators, but there is no question that the best outcome would be for that bill, and the other three anti-gun bills that are now in the Senate Rules Committee to simply die.

Anything can happen now and happen fast. And don’t forget, we fully expect Bloomberg to drop in some NYC arm twisters with millions of dollars.

It would be wise to send one more email to your Senator urging him to vote against new gun rights restrictions.

You can use this link to be connected to your Senator:

Oregon State Legislature - Legislator Pro

Or you can use our automailer to reach them all:

<broken link removed>​

There's also this alert from the NRA dated May 31st:

NRA-ILA | Oregon Contact Your State Senator in Opposition to Bill that Targets LawAbiding Gun Owners

Your immediate action is needed! The state Senate could vote soon on Senate Bill 700, harmful legislation that will only penalize law-abiding gun owners. SB 700 seeks to criminalize otherwise lawful private firearm transfers done without a background check, imposes burdensome requirements for compliance and carries steep penalties for any misstep or violation in the process. This legislation could be voted on at any time and it’s critical that it be stopped! Contact your state Senator now and urge his or her opposition to Senate Bill 700.

Senate Bill 700 requires background checks on private firearm transfers, criminalizing otherwise lawful private transfers of firearms. This proposed law contains many arduous requirements, including:

A condition that any “approved” transaction take place within 24 hours or it is no longer legal and must be re-submitted for approval.
The person who transfers the firearm is required to have the purchaser complete a government form and to retain a copy of that completed form for five years.
Law enforcement will be allowed to retain records of all private transactions for five years.
Any misstep or violation of the provisions in this bill, if enacted into law, carries severe penalties that could result in jail time, heavy fines and AND even permanent loss of your Second Amendment rights.

Contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY and urge them to OPPOSE SB 700. Contact information for your state legislators can be found here.​

We all hope it's a false alarm, but it never hurts to be vigilant.

I could swear that I saw on the crawl during the news KPTV 12 Portland this morning 6/13
that there is a protest, er rally, in favor of SB 700 today.

But, it is not listed on their web page.

In any case, your state representatives want to hear from you - let them know how you feel about
having to run a back ground check on private transfers0.

"Requires person to request criminal background check before transferring firearm to any other person ."

I could swear that I saw on the crawl during the news KPTV 12 Portland this morning 6/13
that there is a protest, er rally, in favor of SB 700 today.

But, it is not listed on their web page.

In any case, your state representatives want to hear from you - let them know how you feel about
having to run a back ground check on private transfers0.

"Requires person to request criminal background check before transferring firearm to any other person ."

There is one. Mothers pushing strollers. If their previous turnouts are any indication, they'll have trouble creating any kind of jam.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...ler_jam_for_gun_bill_mand.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top