JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it a entry level AR or from a manufacturer that uses premium barrels? Is it a chrome lined barrel? Also depends if reloads are anywhere near an accuracy node. Too many variables to give a concise answer but most can be made to shoot around 1.5 moa.

Is it a entry level AR or from a manufacturer that uses premium barrels? Is it a chrome lined barrel? Also depends if reloads are anywhere near an accuracy node. Too many variables to give a concise answer but most can be made to shoot around 1.5 moa.

I was just looking that up. Barrel is 4150 Gun Quality Steel, Heat Treated to RC 28-32 Hardness, and Stress Relieved.
Reloads are not for accuracy just my plinking ammo.

Reason for asking is that I was shooting about 3in groups using 4x scope.

Well I would say that is perfectly acceptable accuracy and with some tweaking you probably could shrink the groups down a bit but that is not bad accuracy.

3 inch groups at 200 yards? That's pretty good. How's your trigger? Free float or not? What scope (this one is just curiosity)? If free floated with a good trigger then I'd say that's good, especially since you said you don't reload for precision.

1.5MOA isn't anything to poo-poo from an AR, in general. What was your shooting position, are you getting consistent shot groups or is a flyer present? All things being equal I'd hazard the AR is just fine, and the shooter just needs more time to "meld" with it.

3 inch groups at 200 yards? That's pretty good. How's your trigger? Free float or not? What scope (this one is just curiosity)? If free floated with a good trigger then I'd say that's good, especially since you said you don't reload for precision.

CMC single stage trigger, free float, leupold 1-4 vxr scope.

1.5MOA isn't anything to poo-poo from an AR, in general. What was your shooting position, are you getting consistent shot groups or is a flyer present? All things being equal I'd hazard the AR is just fine, and the shooter just needs more time to "meld" with it.

I was shooting from a bench. Flyers, yes but I think it was me jerking the trigger. It was my second time shooting at 200. At 100 I get about 1in groups.

As in a Chip McCormick trigger or a CMMG fire control group. If you are shooting 1" groups with a stock CMG trigger you are doing just fine. If you ddid it with a Chip McCormick trigger you are still doing fine but it is not quite as impressive.:)

Last Edited:
Could be parallax. Could be lack of magnification (1-4 is more a general purpose optic nowadays, get you on target but not necessarily exactly where you want it to go). Could be wind. Etc. All in all, 3 inches at 200 yards is good. Even if you get 1 at 100.

Heck, when I shoot out to 600 yards or more, I can tell you that group size is the last thing I'm going for. ;)

CMC single stage trigger, free float, leupold 1-4 vxr scope.

I was shooting from a bench. Flyers, yes but I think it was me jerking the trigger. It was my second time shooting at 200. At 100 I get about 1in groups.
So you are trying to get us to say you are shooting pretty good with your plinking rounds?o_O
:D
Playing around and some "plinking" rounds,that sounds more than fine

Last Edited:
if the load isn't dialed in for the harmonics of your rifle/barrel then 3" groups are acceptable.

The best full metal jacketed bullets...are not nearly the gage that you should be measuring accuracy with. Load or buy some premium match grade ammunition and then see what types of groups that you get. the very process of construction of the FMJ bullet does not lend well to long range accuracy. I have had pretty decent results with hornady vmax and sierra matchking bullets in 223 remington.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top