Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Accuracy

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by FA9, Mar 4, 2016.

1. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

55gr. fbjbt w/c 16in barrel 1/8 twist. fc case with 26gr cfe223

Just wondering what kind of accuracy should I be getting at 200 yds?

2. osprey

osprey NW WA Active Member

Is it a entry level AR or from a manufacturer that uses premium barrels? Is it a chrome lined barrel? Also depends if reloads are anywhere near an accuracy node. Too many variables to give a concise answer but most can be made to shoot around 1.5 moa.

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. FA9

I was just looking that up. Barrel is 4150 Gun Quality Steel, Heat Treated to RC 28-32 Hardness, and Stress Relieved.
    Reloads are not for accuracy just my plinking ammo.

Reason for asking is that I was shooting about 3in groups using 4x scope.

4. osprey

Well I would say that is perfectly acceptable accuracy and with some tweaking you probably could shrink the groups down a bit but that is not bad accuracy.

41Slinger, mjbskwim and FA9 like this.
  5. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

3 inch groups at 200 yards? That's pretty good. How's your trigger? Free float or not? What scope (this one is just curiosity)? If free floated with a good trigger then I'd say that's good, especially since you said you don't reload for precision.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

1.5MOA isn't anything to poo-poo from an AR, in general. What was your shooting position, are you getting consistent shot groups or is a flyer present? All things being equal I'd hazard the AR is just fine, and the shooter just needs more time to "meld" with it.

41Slinger likes this.
  7. FA9

CMC single stage trigger, free float, leupold 1-4 vxr scope.

I was shooting from a bench. Flyers, yes but I think it was me jerking the trigger. It was my second time shooting at 200. At 100 I get about 1in groups.

8. osprey

As in a Chip McCormick trigger or a CMMG fire control group. If you are shooting 1" groups with a stock CMG trigger you are doing just fine. If you ddid it with a Chip McCormick trigger you are still doing fine but it is not quite as impressive.:)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    FA9 likes this.
  9. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Could be parallax. Could be lack of magnification (1-4 is more a general purpose optic nowadays, get you on target but not necessarily exactly where you want it to go). Could be wind. Etc. All in all, 3 inches at 200 yards is good. Even if you get 1 at 100.

Heck, when I shoot out to 600 yards or more, I can tell you that group size is the last thing I'm going for. ;)

FA9 likes this.
  10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

That's perfectly acceptable accuracy for bulk loaded ammo and your set-up, which is a lot like my friend's

FA9 likes this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Toss a higher magnification scope on it and see if your groups get any better.

I start to have a hard time seeing a tiny dot at 200 yards with my 4x scope.

FA9 likes this.
  12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

So you are trying to get us to say you are shooting pretty good with your plinking rounds?o_O
    :D
    Playing around and some "plinking" rounds,that sounds more than fine

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    FA9 and Joe13 like this.
  13. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

if the load isn't dialed in for the harmonics of your rifle/barrel then 3" groups are acceptable.

FA9 likes this.
  14. Landcruiser

Landcruiser Gresham Active Member

The best full metal jacketed bullets...are not nearly the gage that you should be measuring accuracy with. Load or buy some premium match grade ammunition and then see what types of groups that you get. the very process of construction of the FMJ bullet does not lend well to long range accuracy. I have had pretty decent results with hornady vmax and sierra matchking bullets in 223 remington.

Joe13 and mjbskwim like this.