JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So in your scenario wouldn't the ammo in mags, safes and boxes also not ignite?

If you don't put a finger in the trigger guard then it shouldn't go off so I'm ok with loaded guns in the house... BUT STORING A LOADED rifle in a case is rediculous.

I've got a kid at home, so rifles are locked in the safe when I don't have them out for cleaning or taking to the range - they are never stored loaded - mostly for my own safety - I always consider that something could bump the trigger when I'm removing one from the safe.

But the curious part of the story is the last line:

"In 2015, he was temporarily placed under 24-hour supervision after allegedly threatening a murder-suicide, Rolling Stone reported. The case was resolved in September."

First question - if he was put under supervision, assuming that means he was admitted to some facility, should he have a gun in the house? I honestly don't know, just asking.

Second question - considering what happened, how carefully did they investigate this 'incident'? o_O

So in your scenario wouldn't the ammo in mags, safes and boxes also not ignite?

If you don't put a finger in the trigger guard then it shouldn't go off so I'm ok with loaded guns in the house... BUT STORING A LOADED rifle in a case is rediculous.

Ammo will ignite but without the constraints of a barrel do little harm. See also
http://www.saami.org/specifications...wnload/saami_item_202-sporting_ammunition.pdf

and the video

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/how-ammunition-reacts-in-a-fire-saami-video-report/

I am ok with a loaded mag in a secured rifle (if that's your HD go to gun) - just not chambered.

Many years ago my dad built a huge glowing ember fire in a 4ft diameter concrete pipe that was the fire pit. The concrete pipe was above ground almost 3 feet, the wall of the pipe, close to 4" thick. Dad took a bunch of old ammo, about 500 rounds or so, and tossed it in. He didn't run, just walked away and sat at the picnic table drinking a beer. I said something like, that was smart. He said, don't worry, they won't shoot off anywhere. For the next 20 minutes there was gun powder flashes. All that happened was when the pressure built up, the bullet would pop out of the case because it expanded. Then a small flash from the powder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top