JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all, I am looking for a gun smith near grants pass oregon that doesn't charge outrageous prices to tap and drill some holes for a scope mount. The reason I ask is that I am in the market for a bolt action 30-30. There are a couple I am looking at that do not have anything resembling base holes. I've always wanted a gun not seen much these days and a gun my friends and family do not have. Now I already own a savage 110 in 7mm. I reload my ammo. But I am looking for something I can either use my self or let my family members use while with me. I like things of this nature because 1. They intrigue me and 2. They are becoming collector items. The intrigue comes from conversations with my grandfather about them. We both would like to see for our own eyes, the kind of performance we can inch out of the gun. I've always like the notion and they way they look. I personally think it would be a perfect compliment to my savage 110. I am going to try to get one that has the work done before I buy it. But if not I want to gather any and all information I can about gunsmiths in my area willing to do the job with out taking an arm or a leg, least of all asking for my next unborn child
I was read a similar thread but it was centered around a comblock gun.
this HTML class. Value is <broken link removed>

If I can buy one from some one in my general area so much the better. Either way it will require a ffl transfer. I can't afford much. So if anyone has one they want to be rid of or knows of one for sale let me know.
And just for the kicks here is a pic of my buddy shooting my 7mm for the first time.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Wcmm

The picture didn't upload correctly so here it is

Screenshot_2016-04-13-20-28-49.png

So if you're looking at a winchester 30-30, forget about a scope mount. The action is simply not well set up for a scope, since it's a top eject, it's just going to stuff shells into the bottom of your scope and jam the gun. The closest you're going to get is a scout-type mount which mounts the scope in front of the receiver. This isn't necessarily a bad way to go.

That said, If I remember correctly, nearly every Marlin made in the last 20 years has it's receiver drilled for a scope mount, and even if it doesn't is fairly easy to accomplish by any GS worth his salt.

In all honesty, my little brother bought a .30-30 winchester lever gun some years ago, I understand that they're a piece of history, but these days, they're a pointless anachronism, given that you can get nearly the same performance from a .357 lever action, which will hold more shells, and also has the versatility of using .38SPL, is very easy and cheap to reload for.

At the same time, for the Winchester, you're ruining the historical approach by putting a scope on it, so I would recommend going the marlin .357 route...

I specifically mentioned bolt guns, savage Springfield stevens Remington all produced to name a few. Model numbers are 325, 340, 840, 843(coast to coast), 788. Also winchester produced one a model 54. I love a solid lever guns as much as the next guy but I want something out of the norm. My son will inherit an all original m94 with an octagonal 30 inch barreled cambered for 30 w.c.f. it can hold 10+1. The thing still shoots very well and does not key hole. Last appraised was 10 years ago at sight unseen , 3500 to 5000.00

Henry rifles are already drilled and tapped.

Just saying...

(Ok, ok they aren't bolt action.... They still have 30-30)

Might try and find a Remington 600 series bolt gun. They are a pretty serious rifle for those who see the value of such a firearm. I believe they are made in 30/30 as well as .308 win ( which is what I have) and 35 Remington which is an improvement on the 30/30 but harder to find ammo for! Good luck, might look through the want adds here and see whats out there, might find something you didn't know you were looking for/needed. For a nice little carbine in .357 that also shoots .38 special, a Rossy lever is a pretty inexpensive way to go! Personally the brass Henry big boy is what looks about right to my eyes!

I have their basic 4x (a $70 scope if I'm not mistaken) on an air rifle. I was pleased with the quality for the price. The air rifle dealer said they have a good reputation. Air rifles are tough on scopes.

My Dad had one of those old Savage 30-30 bolt guns. Mom bought it for him as a present. It did the trick for bringing deer home. He used it iron-sighted. I have an itch for one of them myself, but haven't scratched it yet.

I guess if they do not have tube magazines, pointed bullets work. That really helps that old cartridge.

You might look at the Contender Carbine as well. I have a barrel in .357 Max, an interesting cartridge.

Last Edited:
Not trying to be snarky just really curious.

Why do you want a bolt action 30-30? The bolt actions went with .308 overwhelmingly for a reason and are way more prolific then a 30-30 bolt. Plus your ammo options are much better with .308.

30-30 was made to be used in a tube magazine lever gun, anything else is an adaptation.

Not trying to be snarky just really curious.

Why do you want a bolt action 30-30? The bolt actions went with .308 overwhelmingly for a reason and are way more prolific then a 30-30 bolt. Plus your ammo options are much better with .308.8

30-30 was made to be used in a tube magazine lever gun, anything else is an adaptation.
I have always wanted one, I grew up with an old and I mean old m94, I will always have a soft spot for a good lever gun. But I prefer the bolt gun. Just my taste, there is nothing wrong with a 308 but not really much of a fan. If I were to get the 308, I'd rather have the 7mm-08. Just my personal taste again. I've don't the math, and research, with a 125 gr to 130 gr. The 30/30 becomes nasty with decent ballistics, yes velocities are under 2500 fps but lighter and shorter shank bullets allow for increased powder, the load I chose is the 140 monoflex moving around 2200/2300fps. A little warm for that old m94 but still safe to use. But for strick bolt gun load, 125 gr spire point over 30 gr of reloader 7, according to the footnotes it is a starting load for single shot rifles. It's report to have a velocity grater than 2600fps.

I have always wanted one, I grew up with an old and I mean old m94, I will always have a soft spot for a good lever gun. But I prefer the bolt gun. Just my taste, there is nothing wrong with a 308 but not really much of a fan. If I were to get the 308, I'd rather have the 7mm-08. Just my personal taste again. I've don't the math, and research, with a 125 gr to 130 gr. The 30/30 becomes nasty with decent ballistics, yes velocities are under 2500 fps but lighter and shorter shank bullets allow for increased powder, the load I chose is the 140 monoflex moving around 2200/2300fps. A little warm for that old m94 but still safe to use. But for strick bolt gun load, 125 gr spire point over 30 gr of reloader 7, according to the footnotes it is a starting load for single shot rifles. It's report to have a velocity grater than 2600fps.

Thanks for the answer and not taking any offense from my post.

In the age range, I'm a little shy of a lot of folks on here and do not have the history from my family that a lot of y'all have so getting some perspective on oddball/unique things intrigues me and is a great help.

Best of Luck finding what your looking for.

P.S. Scout mounted scopes are insanely fast to get on point and you can leave both eyes open for field of view or moving shots. I ponied up for a 4x leupold and it is my favorite scope on my favorite rifle (.308 Ruger Gunsight Scout bolt action). I would highly recommend them unless your shooting over 300 yards.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top