JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was washing a bag of nickel 9mm 1x fired cases I bought from Capital Cartridge and came across this odd looking cartridge. Have you seen something like this before? is it safe to reload? Looks like a +P case. The bulge on the primer concerns me...like over pressure from previous. What do you think?

IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg

But...why? What benefit would this hold over brass and lead?

Looking at their marketing foo, poly/copper gets rid of a lot of lead contamination and stainless allows higher pressure and more velocity.

Whether that actually works would remain to be seen.

Edit: I note that most of the info on their web site is from 2017.

elsie

I've seen these before. Something about the ductile steel being more durable and lighter than brass so it can be reloaded more times at higher pressures. Cool technology.

Seismic uses those composite cases for their 185gr 9mm ammunition too.
I gather it can be reloaded about forever and lightens the gun payload for a given slug weight compared to conventional ammo.
New cases are available to reloaders is my understanding also.

Looks like one of the Shell Tech NAS3 cases (which seem to be used on the NovX ammo too). I've run across them in my reloading research while I'm waiting for equipment prices to return to sanity so I can get into reloading.

Claims are that they can be reloaded something like 40 times. From what I've read, it sounds like that's doable, as long as you stay in the normal pressure range. I believe their internal dimensions are different and I think the primer hole is bigger too. If so, I'm not sure where you get reloading data for them.

They also need their special sizing dies with the spring-loaded case ejector, otherwise the extraction part of the cycle pulls on the stainless to aluminum base connection and can loosen it.

They must be using one of the 400 stainlesses because they're magnetic. So picking them up off the ground might be easier (well, along with all the other steel case trash).

[edit]crap, I didn't see this and reply before you got that one stuck in your die. :(

Well, that was more trouble than it was worth. Sucks about your die being put out of commission.

This partly reminds me of that guy who wanted to use muzzle loader bullets in his 500 s&w but, obviously, less disastrous. Still perfect timing with a couple comments

ShellShock case, the head is aluminum the body is nickel steel. Stronger, lighter and cheeper than brass. These are gaining popularity with "Major 9" shooters. They require a proprietary die set.

Redding support tells me the die is likely beyond repair. I'm now thinking to take drastic measures to try to save the die. What are your (practical) ideas?

I'm planning on freezing it (shrink the case), and wedge a small thin object with a sharp edge between the casing and the die wall to creat a small slit, then peel that aluminum crap off the die.

Like to hear if any better approaches? I love my Redding die. Gotta try to save it!

Redding support tells me the die is likely beyond repair. I'm now thinking to take drastic measures to try to save the die. What are your (practical) ideas?

I'm planning on freezing it (shrink the case), and wedge a small thin object with a sharp edge between the casing and the die wall to creat a small slit, then peel that aluminum crap off the die.

Like to hear if any better approaches? I love my Redding die. Gotta try to save it!
Maybe a tap or bolt you have laying around might fit good enough to get enough bite into it without hurting the die.

DOH! That really bites. But then? What were you thinking? :) And, there's a good reason to be buying Lee dies for brass like plain old 9mm too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top