JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... This is a great "room-clearing" cartridge that can effectively penetrate 2.54" of steel plate with armor-piercing bullets....

Not buying that. I've fired .30-06 USGI M2 Armor piercing at 1" A-36 hot rolled steel plate (that's low carbon mild steel) at about 50 yds, perpendicular shot. The tungsten steel penetrator would have made me nervous if I was on the other side as their noses poked thru but none of them got all the way through. More than twice that penetration with I'm guessing less than half the powder capacity? Naw.

And 925 fps vs 2700 fps of the .30-06? Some wrong numbers there. 2.54 IS the number of centimeters in an inch for what that's worth.

Not buying that. I've fired .30-06 USGI M2 Armor piercing at 1" A-36 hot rolled steel plate (that's low carbon mild steel) at about 50 yds, perpendicular shot. The tungsten steel penetrator would have made me nervous if I was on the other side as their noses poked thru but none of them got all the way through. More than twice that penetration with I'm guessing less than half the powder capacity? Naw.

And 925 fps vs 2700 fps of the .30-06? Some wrong numbers there. 2.54 IS the number of centimeters in an inch for what that's worth.

Google the 9 x 39 Russian cartridge and tell me what you find.

Last Edited:
As soon as suppressors aren't such a PIA to legally own, I'll be pursuing a 9x39 on some platform.
This round just makes too much sense to not take advantage of it.

As soon as suppressors aren't such a PIA to legally own, I'll be pursuing a 9x39 on some platform.
This round just makes too much sense to not take advantage of it.

How does it make "too much sense"? Rounds can barely be had for $2.00+ a shot, brass is scarce for reloading not to mention getting set up to reload such an obscure round......?

Well slap me in the groin and call me stupid. They are indeed gonna bring it to the US. Wow, look at @Captain O being all on top of his game. :p

I still have zero interest. .300blk has become much more readily available in both parts and ammo. But hey, give it a whirl @Jamie6.5. Let us know your results!

How does it make "too much sense"? Rounds can barely be had for $2.00+ a shot, brass is scarce for reloading not to mention getting set up to reload such an obscure round......?
I'm used to starting from scratch with ammo. I used to own a 6.5x57 Ackley.

I can make brass by necking up standard 7.62x39.
And when staying subsonic limits your velocity, the only way to make it up energy-wise is with bullet mass.
250gr slugs are not hard to find in .358.
Plus, I can buy a 245gr mold from Midway and cast my own if I want.
On the light bullet side of things, a 90gr slug at anywhere from 1800-2500fps is easy-peasy too, should I want it for small game, turkeys, grouse, wabbits etc. Or use the same 124 gr slugs I use in my pistol reloads on small-medium game.

You won't get that kind of versatility out of the .300Blk.

ETA: Besides, the .358 Gremlin has been around awhile, and it's a very similar round.

Last Edited:
I'm used to starting from scratch with ammo. I used to own a 6.5x57 Ackley.

I can make brass by necking up standard 7.62x39.
And when staying subsonic limits your velocity, the only way to make it up energy-wise is with bullet mass.
250gr slugs are not hard to find in .358.
Plus, I can buy a 245gr mold from Midway and cast my own if I want.
On the light bullet side of things, a 90gr slug at anywhere from 1800-2500fps is easy-peasy too, should I want it for small game, turkeys, grouse, wabbits etc. Or use the same 124 gr slugs I use in my pistol reloads on small-medium game.

You won't get that kind of versatility out of the .300Blk.

ETA: Besides, the .358 Gremlin has been around awhile, and it's a very similar round.

Mama mia, that's a "spicy meatball"! ;) :D

Well slap me in the groin and call me stupid. They are indeed gonna bring it to the US. Wow, look at @Captain O being all on top of his game. :p

I still have zero interest. .300blk has become much more readily available in both parts and ammo. But hey, give it a whirl @Jamie6.5. Let us know your results!

Run with the herd and you'll wind up in the abattoir. Using a 9 x 39 Russian with a 130-grain bullet used in a .38 Super and you could have some screaming fun working up some ultra high-velocity loads with it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top