JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Created during the 1980's, the 9x39 is a Russian cartridge capable of handling a 256-grain load (subsonic from a rifle-length barrel). This is a great "room-clearing" cartridge that can effectively penetrate 2.54" of steel plate with armor-piercing bullets.

I wonder how it would compare with the .300 "Blackout" with 158-grain .356" JHP or Lehigh type projectiles at higher velocities. In either an AR or AK platform, it would be sufficiently powerful for military and civilian applications at short-to-medium range hunting applications.

Comments? Opinions?

Both exist to solve the same niche, sort of.

But you can't compare the two, not a lot of data on the 9x39 available and its not available to do a side by side comparison either.

Another virtually unavailable cartridge thread. And if it can penetrate 2.5" of steel, how does that make it a good "room clearing" round?

Another virtually unavailable cartridge thread. And if it can penetrate 2.5" of steel, how does that make it a good "room clearing" round?

Using a lighter bullet with the appropriate load works fairly well. Since it is a gas-operated mechanism the system will likely self-adjust. They use heavier bullets at subsonic velocities to pierce steel. I can imagine that a lighter bullet at higher velocities would work extremely well in "room clearing" applications. (I tend to "think outside the box").

Using a lighter bullet with the appropriate load works fairly well. Since it is a gas-operated mechanism the system will likely self-adjust. They use heavier bullets at subsonic velocities to pierce steel. I can imagine that a lighter bullet at higher velocities would work extremely well in "room clearing" applications. (I tend to "think outside the box").

I agree that you do, but a room can be cleared with a full mag of modern caliber ammo that will cost you less than a mediocre burger after your mag runs dry. :)

I agree that you do, but a room can be cleared with a full mag of modern caliber ammo that will cost you less than a mediocre burger after your mag runs dry. :)

But who is cooking burgers? The 1980's creation of the 9 x 39 was a military expedient. A 259-grain. I was simply "noodling" about how a lighter, faster 9.25mm bullet would fare in a simple AK variant. The original load left the barrel at 925 fps yielding 485 fpe. I'm certain that there could be room for improvement.

Last Edited:
Hey, I'm sure not gonna tell you your thoughts aren't interesting, but in today's world the caliber is all but gone. That's how things work, no sense in living in the past.

And I'm cooking the burgers, but my Traeger smoked cheese burgers stuffed with smoked gouda cheese, pastrami, BBQ sauce and fresh minced garlic topped with a slice of black label Tillamook sharp and peppered bacon could never be considered "mediocre"! :cool:

Patent pending. :p

Got me all excited there for a few seconds....

482069.jpg

Hey, I'm sure not gonna tell you your thoughts aren't interesting, but in today's world the caliber is all but gone. That's how things work, no sense in living in the past.

And I'm cooking the burgers, but my Traeger smoked cheese burgers stuffed with smoked gouda cheese, pastrami, BBQ sauce and fresh minced garlic topped with a slice of black label Tillamook sharp and peppered bacon could never be considered "mediocre"! :cool:

Well dog my cats and call me cornpone! I'll take two, no, make that three burgers. Lots of sliced onions, lettuce, dill pickles, and barbecue sauce, please! :D :cool: ;)

But who is cooking burgers? The 1980's creation of the 9 x 39 was a military expedient. A 259-grain 2. I was simply "noodling" about how a lighter, faster 9.25mm bullet would fare in a simple AK variant. The original load left the barrel at 925 fps yielding 485 fpe. I'm certain that there could be room for improvement.
A good 9x19 loading makes 500+fpe out of a 4" barrel

... No, its not available here. Never was. Its not that its gone, its that its not available here. It is certainly not gone, just not here for us.
1200px-Vss_vintorez_01.jpg
This is one of the guns chambered for 9x39.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top