JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a bit, but it's finished. Huge thank you to @Velzey for the amazing craftsmanship, check out the thread protector. If you don't know who Velzey is, look him up. Only gunsmith I trust for anything. Not to mention, a very nice gentleman and someone who you can literally spend a day chatting with.

This rifle has been in my mind for some time.

Back at least 5-7 years ago, an outfit by the name of Special Interest Arms came to my attention. He specialized in taking Armscor M22BA rifles chambered in 22tcm and converting them to 9mm. He made carbines, SBRs, and integrally suppressed versions.

I always wanted one, just never bit the bullet.

Of coarse when I went to get serious about this gun, Special Interest Arms closed his shop. Lack of availability was the main reason for stopping. Armscor heavily imports from the pacific island areas, I guess these rifles were just not being made in good enough quantity and becoming harder to get ahold of.

Anyways, after learning that it wasn't going to happen, I sort of forgot about it.

Along came a random post on NWFA bringing it back up. I reached out to Tim, he said he would gladly take in the project and the same day I ordered a M22BA Tactical.

I didn't even attempt to shoot it in 22tcm. I immediately brought it to Tim.

Some time later and it was done. Right in time for Christmas!

Why 9mm you ask? Why not? Subsonic rounds and a can, fun!

After 2020 a bolt gun in 9mm starts to make even more sense, especially since 9mm currently is some stupid 50-60 cents a round. Bolt guns slow down ammo consumption!

Any ways, this little carbine has been a long time coming and I'm very excited to get to own it! It will be a very enjoyable gun to plink with at the Rimfire gallery at Tri County. As well as a great project for reloading, I'll be trying to see what sorts of bullets I can play with to stay subsonic! Might be messing around with heavy 357 bullets swaged down to size as well!

Happy plinking!

Reno

FEA5B339-85F7-4A02-B16B-BCF623EC5D49.jpeg F8B23A69-8F54-471B-8A39-AE7F791EE209.jpeg 439C08A9-4D62-4003-AC99-54F7B8C986E4.jpeg 92F9B551-7EE1-45CD-9F7C-962F8D2D0570.jpeg

Very interesting! Wouldn't it be possible to do this conversion on a 5.56 NATO bolt action rifle with just a little modification to the bolt face? The Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 takes AR mags, so theoretically you could use a magwell adapter designed for 9mm AR conversions.

I'm curious how much precision can be squeezed out of a 9mm myself.
Oh you might be surprised.

Clays were easy at 100 yards with my 'one time' S2K and 1.5" groups are possible at 50 yards with my PCC benchrested with good handloads - and these are hardly 'target' rifles.

Very interesting! Wouldn't it be possible to do this conversion on a 5.56 NATO bolt action rifle with just a little modification to the bolt face? The Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 takes AR mags, so theoretically you could use a magwell adapter designed for 9mm AR conversions.
That's an interesting idea. The 22tcm is based off a 223 case. It's cut back and renecked. The base is the same diameter as the 9mm, but the rim is a bit different, so the extractor is pretty much the only thing that needs some finangling.

The Armscor M22BA is a very short action. Shorter than the Howa mini actions. The Ruger is a true short action. The length of the bolt itself could pose an issue, but I'm not saying you're not into something.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that no manufacturer hasn't made something like this yet. With the popularity of suppressors at its all time high, as well as the popularity of pistol caliber rifles, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time.

Oh you might be surprised.

Clays were easy at 100 yards with my 'one time' S2K and 1.5" groups are possible at 50 yards with my PCC benchrested with good handloads - and these are hardly 'target' rifles.
At 50 yards, with a leupold 1-4 on it I was doing a circular pattern of 5 inches, give or take, on paper. That was with my bulk blue bullet loads. Which are not anything special. I took some shots at a 8" plate at 30 yards and hit it every time. The 147 grain subs drop like bricks out of it. Zeroed using supers, didn't even hit the paper on my first shot with subs!

In my experiences, 9mm isn't designed to be precise. I will take on the project of trying though, as well as experimenting with heavier billets made for slightly larger bores.

I will admit my PCC shoots best with XTPs.

It hates hard cast lead as I tried some a while back and it wasn't a pretty sight!

I have a box of 500 Xtreme plated I need to get to reloading sometime and hopefully they will shoot as - or nearly as accurately as the XTPs.

Can I be at the front of the line when you lose interest in it? haahahaha.

Phenomenal. Subs all day!

Cool idea but I'm the kinda of guys that asks, "Why not 10mm?"

With the scarcity of 9mm, 10mm components would be easier to find.
At 10mm there isn't really any reason to just get a 357 or 44 mag, both are already made by ruger. If you want power, get power.

This is for plinking, and quiet time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top