JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the other day I was at Walmart and I found a Hatfield Singel Shot in 20 ga. I haven't taken it out yet, but I wanted to know if any one else picked one up and if so, what are your thoughts?

I mean, I get that it's not a hand carved piece of itallian art and it's not a speed racer mossberg... But for exploding the occasional 2 liter or smoking some pot like Hickok 45, it seems like it will be fun.

So I did the only responsible thing I could. I bought a custom leather stock sleeve (which cost half as much as the entire gun).

It's ok to be jealous.

20210308_130134.jpg 20210308_130128.jpg 20210308_130207.jpg 20210308_130223.jpg

Did someone say leather....Err....wait wrong forum....:eek: :D

Neat gun....looking forward to hearing more about your shooting with it.
I think @DeanMk has one or was looking at getting one.....
Andy

Yah ... any references to wood and leather might result in it being misconstrued by some.

Possible unfortunate connotations aside .... well, no frills, classic styled, 20-gauge for less than a C-note? Not a bad investment assuming it works as intended. And, frankly, what the hell does a Benny really buy any more? :s0076:

$100 dollar singles are my weakness. Each time I buy one I say it my last. Each time I modify it and or sell it I say it will be my last.

It never is!

Hell, bimart has one and I can't help to think how long I'll last before it gets brought home with me.

So the other day I was at Walmart and I found a Hatfield Singel Shot in 20 ga. I haven't taken it out yet, but I wanted to know if any one else picked one up and if so, what are your thoughts?

I mean, I get that it's not a hand carved piece of itallian art and it's not a speed racer mossberg... But for exploding the occasional 2 liter or smoking some pot like Hickok 45, it seems like it will be fun.

So I did the only responsible thing I could. I bought a custom leather stock sleeve (which cost half as much as the entire gun).

It's ok to be jealous.

View attachment 839967 View attachment 839968 View attachment 839969 View attachment 839970

My dad has the 12 gauge version of this, and there are a couple things to look out for! First and foremost, the trigger pull is insanely heavy! There is no takeup or travel either, you just have to bust through that 15lb (I don't think it's actually that heavy) wall!

The second thing: the trigger guard completely fractured a couple weeks ago while shooting normal 2 3/4" birdshot loads. It is some low-grade pot metal they are using on the trigger guard!

Up until that point it was still a handy and reliable shotgun to bust clays or hunt upland game with (even with the ridiculously heavy trigger). Hopefully you don't have any issues with yours; they are nice beater shotguns otherwise!

I too enjoy working on and hunting with a single shotgun.
Used to be , you'd always find one or three at a guns show or used gun rack....not so much these days.
Nice to see a new one is out there to be had.
Andy

But for exploding the occasional 2 liter or smoking some pot like Hickok 45, it seems like it will be fun.

[/QUOTE]
Wait a second here... Hikock 45 smokes pot? Whoa, I was wondering what his secret was. :p

Last Edited:
My first shotgun was an H&R Topper in 12 ga. It taught me to be a good shot because I didn't like to shoot it more than once. I paid $49.99 for it at K-Mart in about 1980.

I too enjoy working on and hunting with a single shotgun.
Used to be , you'd always find one or three at a guns show or used gun rack....not so much these days.
Nice to see a new one is out there to be had.
Andy
I remember seeing single barrel shotguns stacked in barrels at junk stores, which is what they used to call second hand stores. I think Dad could have bought the whole barrel, barrel included for $50. Granted it was the late 60's, but there had to be 10 or 12 shotguns in that barrel.

I've only had one. An H&R Topper in 20 Gauge. Neat little gun. It belongs to my bro-in-law these days.

Did someone say leather....Err....wait wrong forum....:eek: :D

Neat gun....looking forward to hearing more about your shooting with it.
I think @DeanMk has one or was looking at getting one.....
Andy
Moi?
Shirley you jest (oops, sorry Shirley ;) )
Not me. I got my H&R in '88 or '89 and I'm quite happy with it.
Thanks for thinking of me, though. Cheers. =)

Yah ... any references to wood and leather might result in it being misconstrued by some.

Possible unfortunate connotations aside .... well, no frills, classic styled, 20-gauge for less than a C-note? Not a bad investment assuming it works as intended. And, frankly, what the hell does a Benny really buy any more? :s0076:
Not until you give the 50 cent trigger job!

...:s0155:

Nice job Perry.
Good lookin; gun.,
Fun to shoot, too, I bet.
Speaking of refinishing a stock, I saw an excellent video on the subject a few years ago.
Did you refinish your stock like this?...

I just sanded and tru oiled it. I think it is birch, had a good time with it

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top