JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to step up to a medium caliber for elk and brown bear. I've focused on these 2 cartridges because they both can be loaded in a standard length action. From what I gather the 9.3 is knocking on the door of the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger matches the H&H.

Anyone have experience with these 2 rounds? Effectiveness, accuracy, recoil, etc.. Also, I'm a reloader so I do not really have concerns over the availability of ammo.

Thx

I've got a 375 Ruger African that I reload for. I've shot it a fair amount, but it's all been at paper.
I've used the round nose Hornady 300gr a little, but prefer either the 270gr Hornady Inter-loc or the 260gr Nosler Accubond. If I ever really use this gun I want it to mimic my 30-06's trajectory, and with the pointed bullets it does.
I was using IMR4831 and RL15 with the 300gr and was having good results. I worked up to mid-range loads with these powders/bullet combo before I decided to turn my attention to the 260/270 class spire point bullet. I was getting just short of 2600fps with these loads, but they kick more than the faster/lighter bullets. These were very accurate loads. 1" or less for a 3 shot 100yd group.
I have only used RL15 with the 260 and 270gr bullets. I've been able to achieve over 2750fps with either of them and have not reached max yet. I know that every ballistics chart shows the 270gr factory load at 2800fps or more, but it's not that fast. All of the Hornady factory ammo with the 270gr bullet averaged 2750 when shot from my 23" gun. These bullets are almost as accurate as the 300gr. So far, groups with the lighter bullets are in the 1 1/4" range at 100yds. 150yds groups were in the 1 1/2" range.
These loads are faster than "real" 375 H&H velocities by 100-200fps. In the 20" barreled guns the Ruger is still as fast as the H&H in a 24 inch barrel.
I use Winchester Magnum large rifle primers and Hornady cases.
If you want any more specific data send me a PM.

Thanks for the reload info on your 375. It's nice to see what a "real world" reloader is getting. I had some concerns that the factory rounds were using a special blend that would be tough to match or exceed. The Alaskan was the rifle I was planning to go with if I land on the 375.