JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well thanks to @kmk1012 I came into a Robin egg blue Polymer 80 Glock subcompact kit. He evidently switched gears and I was in the right place at the right time. Bless his heart he would not take anything for it and shipped it to my door. It showed up on my porch this afternoon and I had a few hours to burn so out to the shop I went.

I planned on using my milling machine and did so for 95% of the top rail sections that need to be cut down flush. When it came to the channel for the recoil rod/spring assembly there was no way to get the supplied end mill down to the area to be cut without the tool holder hitting the jig. My guess is the jig is universal for the compact and subcompact models and the area to be cut is further recessed with the sub model and therefore the tool is to short. Story of my life. Not to worry as I dug around and found some appropriate sized grinding stones for my air die grinder and hogged most of the material out. Now you have to be careful doing this so as not to lay waste to needed areas of plastic but go slow and you will be fine. I then drilled the 2 holes for the jesus pins that hold the guts in. I then filed the slight amount of material left on the top rails and sanded them smooth with fine sandpaper. To finish recoil spring channel I honestly found my sharp drop point folding buck knife worked great followed by sand paper.

This gun is going to be for the better half and I consulted with her on slide color to match the blue hue frame. She had picked stainless to match and I was going to order the slide and necessary parts to finish it off in the new year.
Well at this point I was pretty excited at getting the lower finished and decided to steal the slide and lower guts out of a G27 I have to make a working piece to show my wife. I stripped the G27 down and proceeded to put the guts in the p80 lower. There are a few differences to note but it is all pretty straightforward if you can detail strip a glock. The locking block and front rails are all one piece and comes with kit. The slide removal bar has a coil spring that goes in a blind hole instead of the stock leaf style spring and also comes in kit. The supplied rear rail/ejector assembly pins in with the rear trigger mechanism housing. I did debur and smooth out this supplied part before assembly, as it is known to cause trigger reset issues.

Once together everything was fine except the slide travel got interupted and would not lock back. A bit more work with a knife to clearance the recoil spring/rod assembly and I was in business. After this everything seemed to work as it should!

I am glad I completed the assembly with the parts I had as now my wife decided she likes the look of the black slide. Tomorrow I will go shoot it and prove function. When the other parts come in I will clean the recoil rod/spring channel a bit more with fine sandpaper before final assembly with new parts. After that I will run several hundred rounds through it before I will trust handing it to my wife. All in all it is a pretty straightforward process and took me a bit over 2hrs. start to finish. Now don't expect to save any money going this route unless you are given the kit:). Still the benefits are tangible. Thanks again to kmk1012, I will get even with you my friend. Happy new Year and Glock on! Oh and don't make fun of me if you see me at the range shooting this baby.

79FE9223-87DF-434C-AEA3-851E90C71E71.jpeg 1E8BEC0C-FA50-4476-A650-B31478D47E0C.jpeg 2705D3FC-FADD-4D59-B2ED-3E869682CCD6.jpeg 87619B74-C13B-4CA8-9104-48C4CB785E14.jpeg

Last Edited:
Well thanks to kmk1012 I came into a Robin egg blue Polymer 80 Glock subcompact kit. He evidently switched gears and I was in the right place at the right time. Bless his heart he would not take anything for it and shipped it to my door. It showed up on my porch this afternoon and I had a few hours to burn so out to the shop I went.

I planned on using my milling machine and did so for 95% of the top rail sections that need to be cut down flush. When it came to the channel for the recoil rod/spring assembly there was no way to get the supplied end mill down to the area to be cut without the tool holder hitting the jig. My guess is the jig is universal for the compact and subcompact models and the area to be cut is further recessed with the sub model and therefore the tool is to short. Story of my life. Not to worry as I dug around and found some appropriate sized grinding stones for my air die grinder and hogged most of the material out. Now you have to be careful doing this so as not to lay waste to needed areas of plastic but go slow and you will be fine. I then drilled the 2 holes for the jesus pins that hold the guts in. I then filed the slight amount of material left on the top rails and sanded them smooth with fine sandpaper. To finish recoil spring channel I honestly found my sharp drop point folding buck knife worked great followed by sand paper.

This gun is going to be for the better half and I consulted with her on slide color
to match the blue hue frame. She had picked stainless to match and I was going to order the slide and necessary parts to finish it off in the new year.
Well at this point I was pretty excited at getting the lower finished and decided to steal the slide and lower guts out of a G27 I have to make a working piece to show my wife. I stripped the G27 down and proceeded to put the guts in the p80 lower. There are a few differences to note but it is all pretty straightforward if you can detail strip a glock. The locking block and front rails are all one piece and comes with kit. The slide release mechanism has a coil spring that goes in a blind hole instead of the stock leaf style spring and also comes in kit. The supplied rear rail ejector assemble pins in with the rear trigger mechanism housing. I did debur and smooth out this supplied part before assembly as it is known to cause trigger reset issues.

Once together everything was fine except the slide travel got interupted and would not lock back. A bit more work with a knife to clearance the recoil spring/rod assembly and I was in business. After this everything seemed to work as it should!

I am glad I completed the assembly with the parts I had as now my wife decided she likes the look of the black slide. Tomorrow I will go shoot it and prove function. When the other parts come in I will clean the recoil rod/spring channel a bit more with fine sandpaper before final assembly with new parts. After that I will run several hundred rounds through it before I will trust handing it to my wife. All in all it is a pretty straightforward process and took me a bit over 2hrs. start to finish. Now don't expect to save any money going this route unless you are given the kit:). Still the benefits are tangible. Thanks again to kmk1012, I will get even with you my friend. Happy new Year and Glock on! Oh and don't make fun of me at the range shooting this baby.

FWIW, my 13yr old daughter does not care for the silver on blue. She does however approve of the black on blue. :s0155:

Took the 80% smurf build out this AM for a short range session of 60rds. I am happy to report the function was flawless with no failures of any kind. :s0023:. This with a Glock 27 upper with a Storm lake 9mm conversion barrel and G26 mags. The extractor was the one the G27 came with stock. It shot to point of aim and felt good in my hand. I actually shot it better than my regular stock G19 carry piece that I brought along for comparison. I attribute this to the comfort in my hand with the different grip angle and a better beaver tail with the P80 design. Best of all, nobody was openly mocking the smurf frame :cool:. When I got home I tore it down and inspected it and found no signs of smurf shavings or any other unusual wear. At this point I have to give it a thumbs up and will really run it through it's paces once it's own parts are installed. Will update as more rounds are put down range.

A couple of notes to anybody wanting to build one of these kits:
Midway is showing the Poly 80 kits on sale for $74.99, or was when i looked a few minutes ago.
The rail inserts, especially the rear rails, supplied with the kits are oftentimes rough and may require some file work to fit smoothly.

Nobody? Well I guess I will be the guinea pig and order a slide,completion kit , barrel and lpk for this smurf gun of my wife's and see firsthand how the quality and service is. Stay tuned.

Last week I ordered all the parts for the smurf glock from 80p builder. The parts consisted of a lower parts kit, a ss match barrel, a recoil spring, a slide parts kit and a black cerekoted slide. Everything looked really good. The finish on the slide was executed well and the barrel was also finished nicely with a very well polished feed ramp. Everything went together as expected although the slide fit noticeably tighter on the rails then the stock glock 27 slide I had been using on it. I racked back and forth a hundred times or so and it seemed to free up a bit. Yesterday I was able to get out and put rounds down range through the build. I had a stove pipe on the second shot but after that I put another 109 rounds through it without a hiccup. This was a mix of blazer brass 124gr fmj, wolf military classic steel cased 115gr fmj, 115 and 124 gr speer gold dot, and some magtech 115 fmj. The accuracy and the trigger pull were above average for a stock glock. At this point I can endorse 80p builder as the parts are very good at a decent price and shipping was fast. I will put another 100rds or so through this build and then hand it off to my wife.
36F3B6E1-DB0E-4E13-94CE-A33781C1F684.jpeg 6F1BF6B1-FB5A-4855-956A-91606898497A.jpeg 1A81A77F-F3B2-4F4D-ACF6-84B7C9A47592.jpeg 58D77087-97C3-42AF-A690-FFE921C7FA57.jpeg

Put another 8 flawless mags through it today and put the final touch on it and handed it off to my wife . It is now appropriately nicknamed Kitty, as in "say hello to my little Kitty".

86C40862-230A-4A07-B787-A7222F2F9825.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads