JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Dad has been asking for years to make up a load for his 7mm and I have been putting it off. No reason. I don't have a 7mm available for me to test them in. This year he casually brought over 318 7mm cases:confused:.
So I guess that means it's time. He has boxes that have montgomery ward price stickers on them for $7.98 haha.

My question is what bullet weights do you suggest for elk and deer? I was thinking 160gn nosler partition. The powder I'll use is probably imr4350 and maybe try RL22 since my 270 didn't like it.

What are you guys using as an all purpose bullet weights?

Yup, 160 grain is my goto bullet for Elk. I have loaded down to 140 for deer and antelope, but Elk you need to reach out and slap a little harder. I like Nosler partion BT sitting on top of 4831 or 4350 powder.

Yep a nosler 160 partition or accubond atop a near max load of rl22 should do the trick. That combo has been very effective in a couple of my 7's including the deer in my avatar shot at 413 yds.

150g ballistic silver tips with 62g of IMR4831 was the best load I ever came up with for my 7mm. 3/4 moa or better for me.
**** consult manufacturers recommended data.
**** load at your own risk.

My dad's been slaying elk for 25 years (and countless deer and bear back into the mid 70's) with the same load, which he found worked the best in a handful of different 7mm rifles he's carried (and works damn well in my 7mm too). I've not done any reloading yet myself, but plan on starting with this one before I start tinkering with anything else.

Sierra GameKing 160gr SBT (#1920)
58.4gr IMR 4831
CCI 250 primer
Remington brass
~2800 FPS

I have hunted for 40 years on 3 continents with my 7mm Magnum. I don't use it for elk size game but for deer size game at long range it is as good as it gets. The trouble I had in the beginning was if you shoot game at close range the bullets will come apart. So I load exclusively Nosler Partition's. I have many bullets that are mushroomed to the partition but otherwise they hold together. I load 140 grain bullets to 3100 FPS, don't remember the load information, would have to look it up. If I was going to use it on elk, I would go to at least the 160 grain but would look hard at thec175 grain also. I prefer at least a 30 caliber on elk but if I am specifically hunting them opt for my 378 WM. It gives about the same trajectory only with a 270 grain bullet at 3100 FPS and over 6000 ft lbs of energy. High speed bullets frequently move when striking heavy elk bones destroying too much meat. We had a 308 turn nearly 90% and take out most of the rib roast/steaks. My 378 simply plows through anything it might hit and the extreme hydro shock helps insure a clean kill.

Last Edited:
My Dad has been asking for years to make up a load for his 7mm and I have been putting it off. No reason. I don't have a 7mm available for me to test them in. This year he casually brought over 318 7mm cases:confused:.
So I guess that means it's time. He has boxes that have montgomery ward price stickers on them for $7.98 haha.

My question is what bullet weights do you suggest for elk and deer? I was thinking 160gn nosler partition. The powder I'll use is probably imr4350 and maybe try RL22 since my 270 didn't like it.

What are you guys using as an all purpose bullet weights?

You are on the right track. My 7mm rem mag loves the 160gr. Nosler partition. Try some RL25, RL22 or IMR4350. I've had my best luck with RL25 though... If you have any IMR7828 laying around, it wouldn't hurt to give that a try as well. I believe that powder was made with the 7mm Rem mag in mind... Good luck with it... Oh by the way, if you do decide to give the Noslers a try, hit up shooters pro shop online and buy the blemished bullets. You'll pay less than half the retail and they are just as good.... That's if they have them at the time you need them. Here are some 140gr. partitions they have right now:

Nosler 7mm 140 Grain Partition SP (BLEM) - 50ct

I've also had good luck with the Hornady 162gr. btsp interlocks. Made my furthest 1 shot kill with that pill out of a 7mm rem mag. They cost about $28.00/100 at sportsman's and Cabela's...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top