JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was shooting my 686-6 it's a plus with a 6" barrel. I was shooting it in double action and the trigger started sticking, not every time, but a few times. I would press the trigger and it would move the hammer back less than 1/16" and the trigger would just lock. I would release the trigger and press again and it would clear lockup and fire. I noticed that when I shot it left handed, no issue at all. When I got home, I put some snap caps in and noticed that when I pressed the trigger with my right hand, it moved the trigger slightly to the right and caused the cylinder to try and rotate but it wasn't clearing the tab that the cylinder notch locks on. I also noticed there was some burring on the flat edge of the cylinder notches. The gun is bone stock and had about 750-1,000 Trouble free rounds through it. It is very well maintained meticulously cleaned and lubed after each trip to the range. I imagine if I clean up the burrs the issue will disappear, but it bothers me that there is metal coming off of those nice clean edges on the cylinder notches . It seemed to improve as I sat and dry fired it in double action but it makes me wonder if all is well with my prized revolver.

My question is, should I send it back to S&W? Is this a timing issue that is going to continue to damage the cylinder?
Or...
Is this gun just getting broken in? should I clean it up and see if the issue resolves on its own with further use?

Bring it in and let us take a look, no charge unless you leave it and we do work on it. In my experience working with S&W customer service it would be worth spending a couple of bucks to avoid sending it to them. I'm still dealing with them for over a year on the same gun. First they refuse to warranty repair it even though it's an OBVIOUS warranty repair and the customer is the original owner. Then after I pay to fix it they send it back still broken... I'm still fighting with them.

Anyway, there's a few things to check, it could be something as simple as a burr or something a little more serious like the trigger pin coming loose, which would cause problems like you described. Bring it in and let us pull the side plate off and take a look at things

Just an update, new trigger, sanding the burrs and hand spring solved the problem. Shoots like a champ now. I almost bought a new unfluted cylinder.

In a he future, when I have revolver issues, I'm replacing parts, they are surprisingly inexpensive.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews