JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sold a gun to a friend today and want to replace it. I have an itch for a S&W 686 3' OR a Kimber K6. I haven't laid my hands on either and am not familiar with current Smith quality, although I have owned older ones. Help me, please.

I think the Kimber is smaller, being about K-frame in size.. it'd probably be nicer to CC than the L-frame.
The L-frames are sweet shooting guns though.

I have a 686+ combat magnum or distinguished combat magnum - I don't know some fancy name. ;) Anyway think it has the 3" barrel, and it's one of the most accurate guns I own. Now that I load .38/357 I shoot it all the time.

I was also able to swap a Dawson Precision Tritium sight on the front, nice upgrade.

I have a 686+ combat magnum or distinguished combat magnum - I don't know some fancy name. ;) Anyway think it has the 3" barrel, and it's one of the most accurate guns I own. Now that I load .38/357 I shoot it all the time.

I was also able to swap a Dawson Precision Tritium sight on the front, nice upgrade.
Distinguished combat magnum, combat magnum is the 19/66

I believe the Kimber has a model with low pro night sights and black finish from the factory. If CC that's an attractive option. I don't think there's a snowballs chance in Jamaica I could conceal my 686+ without a much, much smaller grip but then, what's the point? Lots and lots of support for any Smith you can dream up so that's always nice to have in your corner.

Buy the Kimber so when you get tired of it I can pick it up in the classifieds.........

Edit: try Coastal Farm they may have both.

Last Edited:
I've had quite a few S&W and do not like the new safety lock thing. Love my old S&W but not the current ones so much. I'd go Kimber especially for EDC.

Go shopping and see how the feel to you, or better yet find a range that has these in their rental rotations.

I vote for the 686... Like this 686+ Deluxe

DABCE7CF-4530-4AF4-8EDE-707F3F163BA8.jpeg

Hey, don't write off a 3" Talo GP100.
I've shot the crap out of L-frames and carried them, sweet guns, but no longer have an armorer to keep them in time, yada, so.
A Ruger is every bit as accurate as a Smith and can have a very good DA trigger, it'll always be different than a Smith so you'll have to shoot it quite a bit to reduce your muscle memory of using a Smith if you've used one a lot.

Buy the Kimber so when you get tired of it I can pick it up in the classifieds.........

Edit: try Coastal Farm they may have both.
I sold the Raptor that I bought from you to a friend that was slobbering over it. I didn't really want to sell it but I did.

"I can however vouch for my 3" no-dash 686 being great."
No-dash there's the key: back in the Dream Time I worked as a warranty gunsmith for S&W products and totally agree about the greatness of the S&W build quality back then. I haven't owned any of the Klintoon Lock models, but speaking just for myself old Smiths are the way to go. My EDC now is a Steyr S9, but I wouldn't feel poorly armed carrying a 6-shot .357 of either S&W or Kimber mfr.

I ended up buying a Kimber K6 4" Combat.
View attachment 800450
Nice choice!
I was going to suggest this.

I'm looking for a 4" version of what @DB is Here is selling.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top