JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Havent really looked into 62grain ammo before. I just know that green tips have the steel core on the inside and are designated the m855. Is the ss109 the same thing just in 223? Or is the ss109 a 62 grain 223 load also with a steel core? Wanna know if i can shoot any ss109 at steel targets. Thanks.

SS109 is the NATO nomenclature for M855, and technically neither is the .223 sporting caliber. The SS109/M855 has a 62-gr full metal jacket bullet with a 7-gr steel core for better penetration against lightly armored targets and can penetrate up to 3mm of mild steel.

Last Edited:
Havent really looked into 62grain ammo before. I just know that green tips have the steel core on the inside and are designated the m855. Is the ss109 the same thing just in 223? Or is the ss109 a 62 grain 223 load also with a steel core? Wanna know if i can shoot any ss109 at steel targets. Thanks.
I wouldn't shoot steel core at my steel targets.
YMMV

Thanks guys! Really been wanting to shoot a little heavier bullet out of my ar but dont feel like spending 15+ or more on a box of 20 for heavier loads. I was hoping ss109 wouldnt have a steel core.

Are there any 62 grain bullets that arent steel core that wont be too expensive? I like that the m855 and ss109 are so cheap. What would you reccomend for a heavier bullet?

I like shooting longer ranges and want something that wont get pushed around by wind as much.

62 grain isn't going to give you hardly any advantage for shooting at distance. I shoot 75 or 77 grain Sierra Matchking projectiles if I'm wanting to get out past 200 yards.

If you reload, there are 62gr fmj bullets available, as a standard lead core copper jacketed bullet.

Dont reload? You should:D

Uhh, also, I think Wolf makes a 62gr round, if youre into the steel case thing...

No one's into steel case.
That's just Putin feeding off America's poor.

:D

Russian collusion..... is EVERYWHERE.... somebody call the Special Counsel!

Actually Wolf steel case ammo is made in Ukraine now.
So you can virtue signal about how anti-Putin you are by shooting Wolf

Tula ammo is still Russian though.

Russian collusion..... is EVERYWHERE.... somebody call the Special Counsel!

Actually Wolf steel case ammo is made in Ukraine now.
So you can virtue signal about how anti-Putin you are by shooting Wolf

Tula ammo is still Russian though.

But.. for how long will it be before the Ukraine is part of Russiao_O

Got some Magtech Tactical 62 gr. FMJ from SGAmmo awhile back, shot fine from a couple different AR's, it's currently around 30 cents a round. They also offer heavier bullet loads, but the price is higher, of course. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads