JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've shot the 6.5 Grendel, and I really liked it. Not a lot more recoil than a .223, but far less than my AR-10. Kind of a happy medium. I would pick one up if there were ammo to be found.

I owned a factory built one . avoid using wolf ammo other than for plinking its not too accurate (probably ok for hunting) and extremly dirty (it dumps more poop than a .223 when fired ) , it quickly caused the out of spec factory carrier key to lock up against the gas tube after 8 rds fired but the key was out of spec which pissed me off since it was a factory upper, i replaced it and did'nt have any more issues but i did not shoot it much more before selling it off, least thats my experience

i also had feed problems with the factory 4 rd mags for the top rd meaning having the carrier back and pushing the bolt release button it would shove the rd upward shoving the bullet into the casing however if i pulled it back and release it manually it would usually work i did not have a factory lower but used 2 different name brand lowers with same results but it also could have been the ammo or the fact it was new and not broken in yet

i did do a lot research prior to buying it as far a balistics its very impressive round very low recoil compared to .308 and only a little more than a .223 a excellent round for deer hunting compared to .223 and having that little more boom factor made it really fun to shoot.

if you plan to hunt with a ar i recommend it but get a lot of shoot time ahead of time to work out any bugs (as with any other rifle i suppose)

I really miss it since i worked out most of the bugs but i got bit buy the .308 bug and could not afford both

Ramjet-

I was up at Raineer Arms in Auburn and they now carry Sabre Defense 6.5 Grendel barrels and BCG's. If I didn't have my 28" LW w/ AA heavy upper I would have gotten one of theirs. If I am needing a 20" hunting barrel I am going to those guys.

SF-

Ramjet-

I was up at Raineer Arms in Auburn and they now carry Sabre Defense 6.5 Grendel barrels and BCG's. If I didn't have my 28" LW w/ AA heavy upper I would have gotten one of theirs. If I am needing a 20" hunting barrel I am going to those guys.

SF-
Thanks for all the input :)
I will look at Rainer arms next.

I have a 24 inch Overwatch 6.5 Grendel. I'm still working on loads for it as I just finished breaking in the barrel. So far, the best groups were with Hornady 95 grain vmax bullet and benchmark powder, Wolf Brass, federal 210M primers yielding 7/8 and 1 inch at 200 yards.

The loads I'm working on now have Lapua brass, 120 grain amax, Federal 205M, and W748 powder. Charge runs from 27 to 30 grains (max is 30). The test loads I'm trying out are 27, 27.5, 28, 28.5. I am crimping some loads, and trying a tighter case neck (reduced expander ball) for other loads.

I hope to know more by next weekend. Recoil is only barely noticably more than a 223. So far I really like the round. I wish brass was cheaper and more readily available. I'm not even going to talk about primers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top