JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i was hoping to see a more dramatic POI shift when I shot this test to make seeing the node a little easier but they all are relatively close to the same POI. So either my gun likes everything or should I retest over a chrony and look for a load with low SD and ES? What do you guys think? The gun is a Tikka CTR, virgin Lapua brass, RL16 powder, CCI450 primers and 140gr ELD-Ms loaded .02" off the lands.
IMG_0521.JPG

What distance did you test at?

I've got the same rifle in .260 Remington and found a ladder test at 100 yards to be useless and one at 200 yards to be marginally informative. I'm planning on another full ladder at 300 yards, hoping for more dramatic differences between loads.

i say stick with 41.4-42gr

in my reloding experience (roughly 6-7yrs and i dont get too crazy with it) i have found low to mid powdercharge usually yields greatest consistancy... in my experience... YMMV.

I shot this at 100yds. I did a latter test at 300yds last week that didn't show much for nodes, but then again I only shot one round per charge weight. That's why I tried the OCW method today. I'll load up some more between 41.4 and 42.3 and shoot it over a chrony to see what kind of SD and ES numbers I get. That was the area I was thinking about focusing my efforts but wanted to see if someone else saw something I didn't. I purposely didn't take my chrony today because I'll admit I'm a speed freak and would've talked myself into using the 43.5gr load if the velocity was good.

speed can be good. if you get a super fast accurate load then roll with that.

ive just found speed doesnt always mean accuracy. i run my 165gr 308 hunting loads at 2650fps and they are by far more accurate than any factory load ive ever used.

just out of curiosity have you ever used non lapua brass with large rifle primers? anything noticable between SRM and large rifle?

thinkin bout joinin the 6.5cm game. 2 of my friends have already... so now i have to right?

just out of curiosity have you ever used non lapua brass with large rifle primers? anything noticable between SRM and large rifle?

thinkin bout joinin the 6.5cm game. 2 of my friends have already... so now i have to right?
I've only used the Lapua brass but I just recently got this rifle also and haven't tried very many combos with either. I did read somewhere that Lapua went with the small primer pocket because it would hold up to higher pressures better like the 6.5x47 Lapua

I tend to prefer hotter primers if I'm going to be at max. As a hunter, I'm a speed freak and prefer the fastest load that shoots a halfway decent group over slow loads and bug-holes.

Hello guy,
Because Hornady created the Creedmoor 6.5 ammo in 2007, and developed it with a 129 Grn bullet, they also developed the very accurate bullet using there Hornady Brass, and Hodgdon 4350 powder. You can see the entire load development on there www.hornady.com site. I have been using this (only load) now in my Creedmore for about 3 years and only shoot this single bullet because I have fine tuned using the Hodgen 4350 powder with just a little hotter then mid-range ballistics. I don't know much that this bullet can't anchor! With slight elevation changes, you are good to go at 300 yds easy, but much longer if needed. All my other shooting is done with my .243 for varmint and lighter game.... Still using Hornady products.
Good luck with your Creedmoor consideration....:)
Larry243

Hello guy,
Because Hornady created the Creedmoor 6.5 ammo in 2007, and developed it with a 129 Grn bullet, they also developed the very accurate bullet using there Hornady Brass, and Hodgdon 4350 powder. You can see the entire load development on there www.hornady.com site. I have been using this (only load) now in my Creedmore for about 3 years and only shoot this single bullet because I have fine tuned using the Hodgen 4350 powder with just a little hotter then mid-range ballistics. I don't know much that this bullet can't anchor! With slight elevation changes, you are good to go at 300 yds easy, but much longer if needed. All my other shooting is done with my .243 for varmint and lighter game.... Still using Hornady products.
Good luck with your Creedmoor consideration....:)
Larry243
wow, i can respect the experience you have with the caliber and advice you've given me.thank you @Larry243

i know i want a 6.5 but now comes the debate on which rifle but thats for a different thread!!

Sprink
Thanks for starting this thread and posting up your targets and load development strategy. I have yet to start loading for my new 6.5 Creed and trying to decide on a testing method myself. I've been shooting factory Hornady 147gr ELD-M ammo to break the rifle and obtain brass. The rifle has shot some 1/2" MOA with this ammo so I will develop a load with this bullet and H4350. This factory ammo chronographed at 2692fps with SD of 8 from 26" barrel. I'll post my development progress if you care to compare notes. I'll probably skip a ladder and use the OCW like you did but at 200 yards using the chronograph to look for a flat spot in velocity between charges. Hopefully I can see a node before burning up too much hard to find powder and expensive bullets.

Sprink
Thanks for starting this thread and posting up your targets and load development strategy. I have yet to start loading for my new 6.5 Creed and trying to decide on a testing method myself. I've been shooting factory Hornady 147gr ELD-M ammo to break the rifle and obtain brass. The rifle has shot some 1/2" MOA with this ammo so I will develop a load with this bullet and H4350. This factory ammo chronographed at 2692fps with SD of 8 from 26" barrel. I'll post my development progress if you care to compare notes. I'll probably skip a ladder and use the OCW like you did but at 200 yards using the chronograph to look for a flat spot in velocity between charges. Hopefully I can see a node before burning up too much hard to find powder and expensive bullets.
I'm going to try to make it back out Tuesday to test 41-42.3gr of RL16. I'm going to take my chrony this time to look for that forgiving flat spot in velocity. I started with H4350 but came across some RL16 that's supposed to be just as temp stable with a little increase in velocity. My 42.3gr H4350 load with Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primers and 140gr eldm gave me a SD of 4 and ES of 9 if I remember correctly but I couldn't get it to group under 3/4 MOA which was strange to me. I'll post my data Tuesday if I make it out again

Sprink

Looks like your off and running to me!
I bought the Creedmoor for one purpose. Long range accuracy for larger game... Because of that, I have just stayed with one bullet and developed the accuracy based on starting points of 200 yds. Antelope in Idaho have such great sight, that shots under 200 are pretty rare unless you catch them below a bluff or something. I also hunt a couple of areas that are mountain sides for Mule deer, and most of the trees are small with brushy areas. I pretty well have to shoot up hill a lot, but occasionally get a down hill attempt. The greedmoor 129 grn bullet pretty well anchors anything without a lot of exit damage. I have found that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been my altime favorite rifle, that hold tight groupings with Hand loading as well as factory loads from Hornady. I have not shot any other factory loads due to settling in on my 129 grain SST bullet when reloading. I do not target shot a lot due to the cost for just plinking with a Creedmoor. I just develop the load I like, and stay with it, tuned at 200 yds.

Hopefully you will enjoy a Creedmoor also! Please, keep me in the loop with your developments....
Larry243

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads