JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought one of the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor and having problems finding load data, I will be shooting ELD-X 143 Grain noses, Hornady isn't real open with there loads and I don't have a Hornady book, if anyone could look up a mid range load I would be grateful, Powder will be to get around a 2700 fps in Mid range, Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks in advance Ray

H4350 is the known standard for the Creed. My experience devolping hunting loads led me to rl17 and superformance powders to get the velocity I wanted with 129 gr ablr bullets. With 140 gr eld 's 39.5 gr is a good starting point with all three powders. Gl

H4350 is the known standard for the Creed. My experience devolping hunting loads led me to rl17 and superformance powders to get the velocity I wanted with 129 gr ablr bullets. With 140 gr eld 's 39.5 gr is a good starting point with all three powders. Gl
Is H4350 supposed to be a temp stable powder?

Yes it is one of the powders in their "Extreme" line up. Personally I think the whole temp stability thing is a bit overblown for hunting applications but for shooting tiny groups on paper at extended ranges it may come into play more. Here is a graph from a temp stability test though that seems to support the use of H4350.

C2C686A8-BCD2-4425-A236-E1009BDA8B5E.png

Get the newest Hornady manual...Those speeds may be achievable I am getting 2765fps out of a 26" tube pushing the 142 gr SMKs utilizing H4350 and that is on the hot range for the 140 grain family of projectiles also keep in mind your rifle has a 22" barrel. About the only powder I can think of that would get you 2700 as a mid range velocity might be RL-17 which may have some temperature sensitivity issues. Overall I would expect a mid range closer to 2600 or less with a 22" barrel.

I am an old school guy (or just old) I don't understand the hype with the Creed. It doesn't seem to do any more than my 6.5X55 and much less than a 6.5 Remington Magnum. My buddy has 2 of them. My 6.5X55 may be a little hotter........and neither of his new high end rifles are as accurate as my Steyr L carbine with a 20" barrel. Like most "new and improved" things for sale, they are promoted so someone can sell something rather than any practical use.

I am an old school guy (or just old) I don't understand the hype with the Creed. It doesn't seem to do any more than my 6.5X55 and much less than a 6.5 Remington Magnum. My buddy has 2 of them. My 6.5X55 may be a little hotter........and neither of his new high end rifles are as accurate as my Steyr L carbine with a 20" barrel. Like most "new and improved" things for sale, they are promoted so someone can sell something rather than any practical use.

6.5 Creed was specifically designed to fit into AR-10 style rifles and reliably feed so they do give you the ability to put a 6.5 projectile in a semi-auto without any major modifications but with more Umph than a 6.5 Grendel.

It also is a solid option to for 6.5 mm projectiles in a short action rifle which some guys prefer due to the larger variety of options for actions, stocks, chassis, etc.

While I will agree that if you look only at ballistics and factor nothing else in 6.5 creed doesn't add anything if you look at other practical considerations it did fill a niche that wasn't filled prior.

6.5 Creed was specifically designed to fit into AR-10 style rifles and reliably feed so they do give you the ability to put a 6.5 projectile in a semi-auto without any major modifications but with more Umph than a 6.5 Grendel.

It also is a solid option to for 6.5 mm projectiles in a short action rifle which some guys prefer due to the larger variety of options for actions, stocks, chassis, etc.

While I will agree that if you look only at ballistics and factor nothing else in 6.5 creed doesn't add anything if you look at other practical considerations it did fill a niche that wasn't filled prior.
Wouldn't a 260 Remington do the same thing?

There are some issues with the case design when you put 260 Remington in a gas gun. The shoulder isn't ideal for it and due to the case length you run into issues with OAL when loading for standard magazines like the Pmag.
The SAMI specifications call both cartridges virtually the same overall length. I don't know about the shoulder angles. I can't find the case capacity of the Creed but in the 260 it is 52.5 grains (off water) my buddy's rifles are both full length bolt guns. I like my short action 700's a lot but they aren't even taking advantage of that. It reminds me of the silly 30 blackout.......why not just use a 7.62X39? More snake oil for the masses.

The SAMI specifications call both cartridges virtually the same overall length. I don't know about the shoulder angles. I can't find the case capacity of the Creed but in the 260 it is 52.5 grains (off water) my buddy's rifles are both full length bolt guns. I like my short action 700's a lot but they aren't even taking advantage of that. It reminds me of the silly 30 blackout.......why not just use a 7.62X39? More snake oil for the masses.

The other thing the 6.5 creedmoor offered was factory ammo from multiple manufactures. Factory match 260 is extremely limited in selection. For a reloader not a big deal but there are matches that require factory ammo. The OAL of the two cartridges is quite similar however where the neck is positioned in the OAL isn't the same. Basically, you end up jamming the bullet deeper in the 260 case reducing its case capacity to something far closer to that of a 6.5 creed really negating its advantage.

As for .300 blackout I will agree that cartridge is pretty much useless unless you plan to put it in a Suppressed SBR utilizing an AR form factor for any other application it is pointless as its ballistically not even remotely impressive.

Availability follows demand. If there was a huge demand for 260 like the Creed......there would be just as many manufacturers. I might have blown out the shoulder of the 260 to increase the case capacity but in the end (where the bullet strikes) it would make little difference.

Yes it is one of the powders in their "Extreme" line up. Personally I think the whole temp stability thing is a bit overblown for hunting applications but for shooting tiny groups on paper at extended ranges it may come into play more. Here is a graph from a temp stability test though that seems to support the use of H4350.

View attachment 395989
Cool. Thanks!

Well, I'll do it. From the Hornaday manual 10th edition for 140 gn BTHP Match, Amax, ELD Match, SST, Interlock SP, and 143 gr ELD-X. Min powder speed estimate at 2400 FPS for all loads.

powder, min (gr), max (gr), est FPS@Max
Norma 203B, 32.5, 37.3, 2650
Varget, 32.7, 36.4, 2600
RL-15, 33.5, 37.9, 2650
Big Game, 35.1, 41.4, 2750
RL-17, 35.3, 41.3, 2750
Norma URP, 35.3, 41.4, 2750
Hybrid 100V, 35.6, 41.3, 2750
Win 760, 35.9, 41.3, 2700
IMR 4350, 36.1, 42.0, 2750
H4350, 35.6, 41.5, 2700
IMR 4451, 36.6, 41.3, 2650
Superformance, 38.2, 44.7, 2800

I double checked the numbers but take them with 35.5 gr of salt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top