JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering here, I have hunted with a inline for years, when I first got started into muzzleloading hunting back in the early 90's I had a T/C New Englander 50 cal, I used a maxiballs and killed a bunch of deer with it, then a few years later, came the in lines and I jump on that wagon, now I'm older and I'm leaning more towards the old side hammers, I bought a T/C Big Boar got it sighted in with 90 gr. 777 and a patch and round ball, my question is will a round ball kill a deer like the old maxi balls did? I have never hunted with roundballs before, I'm just doing a little research here about roundballs, everyone I talk too says you loose alot of deer using roundballs, I don't see how it's like shooting a slug, especially with that 58 cal., I'm just looking for a little info,

I have taken both deer and elk with a .58 caliber rifle.
Its an original J.Henry Trade Rifle from around 1800 -1820.
The load for both was 75 grains of 2f and a .570 round ball with a .15 patch.

My usual hunting and shooting rifle is in .54 caliber.
It is a custom Hawken Rifle Copy
I use 80 grains of 2F and .530 round ball.
I have taken :
Grouse
Coyote
Deer
Elk
Bear
Antelope
With this rifle and load.

Like anything....know your rifle , know your load , know the game you hunt...stay within your skill of hunting and shooting and you will be fine with black powder and round ball.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR