JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I reloaded some 5.7x28. Took it in to the short range pistol range at tri counties and shot it. It cycled, no signs of overpressure. However, accuracy was abysmal. It all shot left over 4 inches off at 7-10 yards. No signs of keyholing at that range. Thinking it might be me, I shot some AE stuff that my ps90 hates and the ruger loves. 3 rounds in the bullseye in a ragged hole. So it wasn't the gun. I put a few more loads in and it was even worse accuracy. I loaded to min specs in the Lyman manual, used a FN cartridge that appears to be loaded with the same hornady polymer tip in blue rather than red to gauge cartridge length.

This is my first experience making bullets that are just completely inaccurate. Thoughts?

How's neck tension? I'd check to see that the bullets aren't getting jammed into the case during feeding.
What are the groups like? Benchrest it at 25 yards.

How's neck tension? I'd check to see that the bullets aren't getting jammed into the case during feeding.
What are the groups like? Benchrest it at 25 yards.
groups at 7-10 yards were at least a 10 inch spread. Bullets were pressed in with very little force. (I am doing this on a single stage press) The rounds also were able to be cycled through the action with no changes noted in OAL. (I had issues with the PS90 with the AE stuff forcing the bullet in too deep.) Benchresting at 25 yards I believe would result in no hits on paper, the one pattern was all bullets went left, substantially. They were over and under POA, and varied how far. Each round had an individual charge weight individually weighed with the scale tared on the brass. I would have thought it was me except that I was very accurate at the same bench with the same gun without adjusting anything but the rounds.

Damn, loading 5.7!

Ive heard nothing but bad things from various folks that have tried. This furthers my conclusions.

I've come to the conclusion that 5.7 is simply very expensive rimfire.

Ive got nothing, but will certainly watch this thread for more information and understanding of loading the 5.7.

groups at 7-10 yards were at least a 10 inch spread. Bullets were pressed in with very little force. (I am doing this on a single stage press) The rounds also were able to be cycled through the action with no changes noted in OAL. (I had issues with the PS90 with the AE stuff forcing the bullet in too deep.) Benchresting at 25 yards I believe would result in no hits on paper, the one pattern was all bullets went left, substantially. They were over and under POA, and varied how far. Each round had an individual charge weight individually weighed with the scale tared on the brass. I would have thought it was me except that I was very accurate at the same bench with the same gun without adjusting anything but the rounds.
7-10" at as many yards is what one normally gets from a cylinder bore 12 gauge using buckshot so since you say there was no indication of tumbling and they functioned the action of the firearm, I'd let someone else shoot them out of various guns to see if it's the gun or the ammo or the shooter.

7-10" at as many yards is what one normally gets from a cylinder bore 12 gauge using buckshot so since you say there was no indication of tumbling and they functioned the action of the firearm, I'd let someone else shoot them out of various guns to see if it's the gun or the ammo or the shooter.
I was able to shoot the same gun at the same time with factory ae ammunition. I was shooting through the same hole in the center of the bullseye, widening it a bit, but a 10 shot group a quarter could cover. To me that rules out gun and shooter. I am not great, but at that range, can't hit a dinner plate is unacceptable. At that range my rapid fire groups should be fist sized at worst.

But I am wondering if I had lower velocity and they might not have fully stabilized. Like I said, I didn't see keyholing, and I may try these through the PS90 to see if they function better through the 10.4 inch barrel. My next step is to attempt to make a gradual increase in the load in increments to the midrange of load data and see if accuracy improves. The PS90 literally will not use the ae ammunition, but the ruger loves it. But I want to figure this out as 5.7 is too expensive, but I like it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top