JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
brand new Hornandy 200g XTP, I only chamber it a couple times and am already seeing bullet setback. I know this can be an issue with 45 but never seen anything setback so quickly, many years old Corbon has been chambered 100's of times before retiring due to setback.

Is this normal for Hornandy?

Is there anything that can be done to drift the bullet back to nominal OAL?

left to right: never chambered Hornandy (OAL 1.246"), Hornandy chambered only twice (OAL 1.219"), Corbon many years old chambered 100s of times (OAL 1.167")....
Selection_001c.jpg

Selection_001c.jpg

Hmmm. That's unusual. Never seen it pushed this deep this quick before. Makes me wonder if Hornady forgot to crimp the rounds? Even my own reloads do not have a history like this.

Are these your loads or factory?? The Hornady manual gives a nominal COAL for the XTP bullets for a minimum chamber pistol. Could be the ammunition, could be the pistol chamber. I have used a number of different bullets in my 45, mostly the 200 gr XTP, and have had no issues. But then, I shoot nearly all handloads. My Para Commander is a minimum / match chamber barrel.

You didn't really say what pistola or whatever.
Or did you just smash them with a rock like a normal person?
Oh, to cut to the chase, huck that hunk a crap in the crick. good talk

This is why I will pop rds out and put back in the bottom or in the mix.

Had to show this tip to the other half a couple decades ago.

If ur OCD keep track on the # of times, reload MG with Virgin ammo from box mark the chambered rds put back in box.

By the time you get thru that box. Repeat with a fresh box.

And go shooting with the stuff ya cycled thru. And buy a new box.

If you have a impact bullet puller you may be able to tap the rounds out enough and then recrimp them. Bunch of fooling with that shouldn't be necessary, I'd contact Hornady.
That's what I do but I won't carry them afterward.
I rotate the top two rounds when I rechamber because it's easy - just chamber one from the mag and stick the old one back in the mag. Once I can see any setback, I use a bullet puller like you do and put it in a specially marked magazine or box for later use at the range.

If you have a impact bullet puller you may be able to tap the rounds out enough and then recrimp them. Bunch of fooling with that shouldn't be necessary, I'd contact Hornady.
I was wondering about using an impact bullet puller, but was concerned doing so would loosen the crimp even more... the rounds really cant handle more than a couple chamberings as it is.
I agree all this shouldn't be necessary, Hornandy requires a phone call to get an RMA on ammo to mail back to them. This means I will have to wait at least a week until my schedule is away from work during business hours.

Being as cheap as I am, and the cost of the ammo, I'd be ringing their bell and letting them know even if it does take you a week. I carry Hornady CD 9mm, haven't noticed a problem with mine, but I'll definitely be checking, good info Koda, Thanks.

a quick note I know about rotating carry rounds from bullet setback, this is a quality issue a bullet shouldnt set back this far after just a couple chamberings. I dont have enough OCD to keep track of exactly how many chamberings but I just expect not have to worry about it for a long time. The Corbon example I showed in my photo is many years old before the bullet taper (ogive?) was finally pushed past the case rim.

Being as cheap as I am, and the cost of the ammo, I'd be ringing their bell and letting them know even if it does take you a week. I carry Hornady CD 9mm, haven't noticed a problem with mine, but I'll definitely be checking, good info Koda, Thanks.
I'll follow up with my response from Hornandy it could take a while because I cant do gun stuff at work and I work too many hours during the week I have to wait until Fridays or Saturdays during business hours

the only round Ive ever experienced setback from is 45acp. I've never experienced it with 9mm enough to warrant rotating the round out of use to range fodder.

I've had this. It was Hornady Critical Defense in .45
Here's my old thread from years ago over at OCDO.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98597-Issue-with-Hornady-Critical-Defense

excellent info what I was looking for. It appears from your thread that others did not experience this as bad in other brands. The fact that this happened to another person means its a quality issue with Hornandy.... so I will not buy them anymore.

Thats too bad because I was glad to actually find a SD premium round that wasnt +P. I like Corbon but all the stores only stock +P it seems.

In the mean time when I get the chance it will be interesting to see what Hornandy does for me when I ask for a refund.

I'll follow up with my response from Hornandy it could take a while because I cant do gun stuff at work and I work too many hours during the week I have to wait until Fridays or Saturdays during business hours

the only round Ive ever experienced setback from is 45acp. I've never experienced it with 9mm enough to warrant rotating the round out of use to range fodder.
I've seen it with 9 but only on some guns.

Maybe the reason I have never experienced this is that when I unload a pistol, I am normally in the habit of carrying a full mag with one in the tube. When I reload the pistol for carry, I drop a round in the chamber and let the slide go. De-cock the hammer, and put the full mag in.

Maybe the reason I have never experienced this is that when I unload a pistol, I am normally in the habit of carrying a full mag with one in the tube. When I reload the pistol for carry, I drop a round in the chamber and let the slide go. De-cock the hammer, and put the full mag in.
thats actually a good idea for guns with an external extractor.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top