JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings everyone,
I have started collecting stamps about a year ago and already own a Spectre 2, which I love.
A Specwar 5.56 is also pending approval, and I have just started the paperwork for an Octane 45 HD.
With a few months to wait, I have time to set up a couple of hosts, and I would appreciate some advice.
I scaled down quite a bit in the past year or so, and kept only what I really use/need.

My main pistols are a Glock 34 for the range and a Glock 19 for carry. I have purchased a Silencerco threaded barrel for my Glock 19, and I guess for now that will do for a 9mm host. I might pick up a barrel for my G34 down the road.

I currently own a single 1911 pistol. I do not believe this gun would make a good host as it an extremely tight custom build. I also baby it quite a bit and I know would spend way too much time trying to keep it clean after shooting it suppressed.

I am considering a Glock 21 with factory threaded barrel, or an M&P .45, also with factory threaded barrel.
Pricing is similar, and I consider both to be quality pistols with solid reliability. I am not willing to consider SIGs, HKs, FNX at this point, primarily because of cost and because I am moving away from DA/SA platforms.

Glock 21:
Pros
- I am already familiar with the platform.
- Threaded model comes with suppressor sights.
- Capacity at 12 rounds per mag.
Cons
- Internet says Glocks are not as quiet suppressed than other platforms (not sure if this is true).
- Left hand weird thread pitch with the factory barrel.
- Large frames Glocks feel like bricks to me
M&P .45:
Pros
- More ergonomic than G21.
- Factory kit comes with both threaded and regular barrels.
- Appears to be slightly quieter suppressed according to the 'net.
- Normal US thread specs.
Cons
- Reduced capacity.
- Harder to disassemble all the way.
- Less familiarity with the platform (even though I owned a few M&Ps already).

Does anyone around here have experience with either platforms as a suppressor host? Possibly with an Octane?

Thank you very much for your advice.

I have an M&P 45 with a Storm Lake threaded barrel. It's a fantastic gun and a good host, except for the lack of suppressor sights for the platform unless you spring for the C.O.R.E model.

I bought a G21 to replace it as my primary suppressor host, but haven't shot it yet.

I have an Octane 45HD, it's a great can! 147 gr ammo out of a G19 is almost 'movie quiet'!

Thank you for the replies so far. I like the idea of an m&p 45 but I need to factor in added money for suppressor sights.

I have a glock 34 MOS already, and it is a fantastic gun. I can't understand why glock does not supply raised suppressor sights with MOS models, as they installed them on factory threaded models.
I plan to buy a threaded barrel for my 34, eventually, but for now I will keep the g19 as my main 9mm suppressor host.

Locally I cannot seem to find a G21 with threaded barrel in stock anywhere. If I decide to buy one, I might pick one on gunbroker.

I also have a scorpion evo to run suppressed. Silencerco now makes an octane 45 direct thread adapter for the scorpion. I am definitely buying one of those!

Thank you very much for the kind offer.
I am a member of Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, with action range certification.
I'd be happy to have you as a guest any time, or we can shoot anywhere somewhere closer to you if you prefer.
I have a couple of very busy weeks with work, but I plan to PM you when I have some time, before my stamp comes in.

Again, thank you for generous offer.

Thank you very much for the kind offer.
I am a member of Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, with action range certification.
I'd be happy to have you as a guest any time, or we can shoot anywhere somewhere closer to you if you prefer.
I have a couple of very busy weeks with work, but I plan to PM you when I have some time, before my stamp comes in.

Again, thank you for generous offer.

No problem. I did the same thing with another member at TCGC a while back, it went pretty well. Let me know when you want to get together.

I have a two decade old Glock21 Gen1 with a KKM threaded barrel. It shoots well, better than I can. Provides a fantastic host for my Osprey in .45. Feeds flawlessly, never had an issue, a real pleasure to shoot. With the Osprey, my regular height Meprolight sights work fine. Haven't considered a barrel for my Springfield 'Operator' but may someday. Sure can't fault the Glock (but, I have to admit I like my Glocks).

Honestly, an aftermarket barrel from KKM or even Lone Wolf will work fine, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Is the KKM worth almost 2X what a Lone Wolf barrel costs? Jury is still out on that one.

As they say, one man's opinion.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads