Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.45 Host - Advice needed.

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by pdxcat, Dec 11, 2015.

1. pdxcat

pdxcat Sellwood Active Member

Greetings everyone,
    I have started collecting stamps about a year ago and already own a Spectre 2, which I love.
    A Specwar 5.56 is also pending approval, and I have just started the paperwork for an Octane 45 HD.
    With a few months to wait, I have time to set up a couple of hosts, and I would appreciate some advice.
    I scaled down quite a bit in the past year or so, and kept only what I really use/need.

My main pistols are a Glock 34 for the range and a Glock 19 for carry. I have purchased a Silencerco threaded barrel for my Glock 19, and I guess for now that will do for a 9mm host. I might pick up a barrel for my G34 down the road.

I currently own a single 1911 pistol. I do not believe this gun would make a good host as it an extremely tight custom build. I also baby it quite a bit and I know would spend way too much time trying to keep it clean after shooting it suppressed.

I am considering a Glock 21 with factory threaded barrel, or an M&P .45, also with factory threaded barrel.
    Pricing is similar, and I consider both to be quality pistols with solid reliability. I am not willing to consider SIGs, HKs, FNX at this point, primarily because of cost and because I am moving away from DA/SA platforms.

Glock 21:
    Pros
    - I am already familiar with the platform.
    - Threaded model comes with suppressor sights.
    - Capacity at 12 rounds per mag.
    Cons
    - Internet says Glocks are not as quiet suppressed than other platforms (not sure if this is true).
    - Left hand weird thread pitch with the factory barrel.
    - Large frames Glocks feel like bricks to me
    M&P .45:
    Pros
    - More ergonomic than G21.
    - Factory kit comes with both threaded and regular barrels.
    - Appears to be slightly quieter suppressed according to the ‘net.
    - Normal US thread specs.
    Cons
    - Reduced capacity.
    - Harder to disassemble all the way.
    - Less familiarity with the platform (even though I owned a few M&Ps already).

Does anyone around here have experience with either platforms as a suppressor host? Possibly with an Octane?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Oregon Quartermaster likes this.
  2. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I have an M&P 45 with a Storm Lake threaded barrel. It's a fantastic gun and a good host, except for the lack of suppressor sights for the platform unless you spring for the C.O.R.E model.

I bought a G21 to replace it as my primary suppressor host, but haven't shot it yet.

I have an Octane 45HD, it's a great can! 147 gr ammo out of a G19 is almost 'movie quiet'!

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Get a Vector;)

4. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

how about a Glock 41 .45 with MOS..... only time I would get a Trijicon RMR batt only. ... Threaded barrel lone wolf . I'm no Glock fan, and the trigger eats my index finger.... hate the ergos, but it shoots, and it's 1911 skinny.

4634697_02_glock_41_mos_45acp_with_trijic_640.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. pdxcat

Thank you for the replies so far. I like the idea of an m&p 45 but I need to factor in added money for suppressor sights.

I have a glock 34 MOS already, and it is a fantastic gun. I can't understand why glock does not supply raised suppressor sights with MOS models, as they installed them on factory threaded models.
    I plan to buy a threaded barrel for my 34, eventually, but for now I will keep the g19 as my main 9mm suppressor host.

Locally I cannot seem to find a G21 with threaded barrel in stock anywhere. If I decide to buy one, I might pick one on gunbroker.

I also have a scorpion evo to run suppressed. Silencerco now makes an octane 45 direct thread adapter for the scorpion. I am definitely buying one of those!

6. Modeler

If you like we can get together some time to try out different hosts with my Octane 45HD. I have a G19, G21 and M&P 45 all with threaded barrels.

7. pdxcat

Thank you very much for the kind offer.
    I am a member of Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, with action range certification.
    I'd be happy to have you as a guest any time, or we can shoot anywhere somewhere closer to you if you prefer.
    I have a couple of very busy weeks with work, but I plan to PM you when I have some time, before my stamp comes in.

Again, thank you for generous offer.

8. Modeler

No problem. I did the same thing with another member at TCGC a while back, it went pretty well. Let me know when you want to get together.

9. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

I have a two decade old Glock21 Gen1 with a KKM threaded barrel. It shoots well, better than I can. Provides a fantastic host for my Osprey in .45. Feeds flawlessly, never had an issue, a real pleasure to shoot. With the Osprey, my regular height Meprolight sights work fine. Haven't considered a barrel for my Springfield 'Operator' but may someday. Sure can't fault the Glock (but, I have to admit I like my Glocks).

Honestly, an aftermarket barrel from KKM or even Lone Wolf will work fine, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Is the KKM worth almost 2X what a Lone Wolf barrel costs? Jury is still out on that one.

As they say, one man's opinion.