JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the recoil of the .45 ACP excessive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No

Votes: 141 97.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what you are saying is a 45ACP pistol doesn't necessarily kick more than a 9mm?
We got that part.
Actually, the 45ACP will "always" have more recoil than a 9mm. As to how the user feels that varies with the gun and the shooter.

For a given weight (mass) of a projectile and speed of the projectile, the force in the other direction (recoil) is constant. That force will act on a mass (the mass of the gun and the mass of the shooter). This will determine the speed on that direction.

I think we should not confuse the actual recoil versus the perceived recoil. The actual recoil of a given cartrige/powder/bullet combination is constant. The perceived recoil is determined by the gun and the shooter.

Most of the 40's are made on the 9mm frames.May have bigger springs and heavier parts,but for the most part they are the same basic gun as the 9mms

The 45ACP was built on a way bigger frame,hence more weight and controllable recoil

I think we are talking about the ammunition and not the combination of the gun and ammunition. If it is the latter, the OP would have specified a particular gun or else there is nothing to compare.

But if you want to go that route then, it is not true that the 9mm is built for lighter guns. The 9mm was developed long before the 45ACP. The 9mm was developed for even older, all-metal guns. But these days, the 45ACP exists both on heavier guns (1911) and lighter guns (Glock 21). The same can be said for the 9mm (1911, Glock 17).

I think we are talking about the ammunition and not the combination of the gun and ammunition. If it is the latter, the OP would have specified a particular gun or else there is nothing to compare.

Can't really take one without the other,now can you?
As sport shooter was talking about "perceived" recoil,yada yada,the recoil that is felt is from the load,yes.But also what gun it was fired from.

Can't judge one without the other.

And as I said before,not talking about what frames the 9mm was made on now,the 40 needed a platform and the easiest way to do that was to use the 9mm pistols.
They didn't need the heavy guns chambered in 45ACP

NOW....... now all three calibers come in all shapes and sizes.All using the full size to the sub compact frames.

That wasn't the case when they started the development of the 40 S&W

Actually it was started as the 10mm for the FBI

I just got back from some quality trigger time with my son. We shot 9, 40 and 45. I can't tell that much difference between 40 & 45 on my guns.

Colt Defender and XD40 SC, so approx same weight.

I got my Defender first because side by side with a 9, the Colt had a more satisfying bump.

I have to go now and clean guns.

Maybe for some folks with certain medical conditions, or very small boned folks without much in the way of grip strength, but for most folks, the .45 acp has perhaps the mildest recoil of the major calibers. I've demonstrated by shooting a 1911 with just two fingers. Index finger on the trigger, thumb on the grip safety. Not a problem.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews