JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if anyone has experience shooting a S&W m&p 45 and what the recoil is like out of that pistol? If it's bad has anyone tried one of those dpm recoil springs? I've never used them but for 45 put of a polymer gun I would think of trying it to fix the recoil if it's pretty bad. Thanks.

How much experience do you have shooting? 45acp is more of a push than a sharp, fast recoil of say a 9mm.

Recoil isn't bad in a polymer 45.

Haven't shot the .45 m&p but I used to have a 5" springfield xd .45 and it shot nice and smooth compared to the snappy "4 xd 9mm my buddy had.

The xd is a polymer too.

I shot a few of the compacts a long time ago when they were introduced at SHOT show and found them to be the equivalent Glock 30 with a slightly nicer grip angle and magazines. I think the mag release was swappable LH/RH as well, which I would have liked.

Good guns and seem to have a solid rep. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up and put it to work.

I've had a Gen 1 for years. Love it and have always felt it is an often overlooked option for a carry gun if you're looking for a polymer striker 45. And especially if you're willing to spend the money and drop an Apex Flat Trigger into it...but the Gen 2 stock triggers are MUCH better than the Gen 1's were. Also note that they come in a 4" and a 4.5" version. Mine is the 4" which puts it pretty close to a Glock 19 sized gun.

As for the recoil, I think it's fine. Very shootable and much better than the 45 acp Glocks I've fired. But recoil is a funny thing so YMMV. I suspect the recoil is even better in the 4.5" version but can't say for certain as I've never shot one. I have no experience with the DPM springs so can't comment.

Call around to the ranges in your area and see if any of them have one in their rental counter. You'll sort things out pretty quickly as to whether you like it or not...and it will be fun. :)

fO8bxpx.jpg

It's an overlooked, often inexpensive, gem, one of my favorite 45's to shoot, period.
Mine's a gen , bought used, that has had some work done, but fundamently, it's a very pleasant gun to shoot, with very manageable recoil. I don't think you'd need to faff with aftermarket springs.
It sits very low in the hand compared to say an Sig 220 or USP45, (see below), with a very well shaped palm swell and tang, which makes it much less "flippy" than many other 45 options and it's what I'd call a natural pointer. IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2973 2.jpg
IMG_2975.jpg
Everyone is different, so like L84 said, see if you can find one to try.

How much experience do you have shooting? 45acp is more of a push than a sharp, fast recoil of say a 9mm.

Recoil isn't bad in a polymer 45.
I've shot lots of gun but once in a while there's one I really don't like the recoil. Like In the single stack glock 9mm subcompact I really hated it. I've shot up to a desert eagle in 44 mag. 45 I've shot a 1911 (don't remember what) that recoil was fine and a colt series 70 or 80 I disliked but tolerated. Usp 45 loved shooting that. I've shot lots of guns just once in a while there's a gun I really dislike the recoil so I was trying to see what people thought of it. As its usually a guns that are known to have bad recoil and I never knew.

It's an overlooked, often inexpensive, gem, one of my favorite 45's to shoot, period.
Mine's a gen , bought used, that has had some work done, but fundamently, it's a very pleasant gun to shoot, with very manageable recoil. I don't think you'd need to faff with aftermarket springs.
It sits very low in the hand compared to say an Sig 220 or USP45, (see below), with a very well shaped palm swell and tang, which makes it much less "flippy" than many other 45 options and it's what I'd call a natural pointer. View attachment 1763457
View attachment 1763459
View attachment 1763458
Everyone is different, so like L84 said, see if you can find one to try.
I think that's what I'll do. I have just shot a few polymer guns that had bad recoil but they were usually compact polymer guns. Only polymer 45 I shot was a usp but I was not sure if it was fair comparison as the springs reduce recoil (hk or some fans made a big deal on it before) and most steel frame 45 I have not had issues shooting.

I just picked up a USP 45T. Unless you plan on carrying it, it's a fantastic monster.
I've loved hk Pistols over the years when shooting them. I've tended to prefer shooting 357 over 45 but I think it's because I'm not big on the recoil in standard a few 1911(or tbh it could have been overpowered reloads as it was always older guys who had them that I shot). I've always wanted a mk23 but at 2k or more there's lots of other guns that price I want lol. I bet the usp 45t is great from the basic usp 45 I shot.

I've loved hk Pistols over the years when shooting them. I've tended to prefer shooting 357 over 45 but I think it's because I'm not big on the recoil in standard a few 1911(or tbh it could have been overpowered reloads as it was always older guys who had them that I shot). I've always wanted a mk23 but at 2k or more there's lots of other guns that price I want lol. I bet the usp 45t is great from the basic usp 45 I shot.
It has the better trigger.

My M&P 45 compact doesn't recoil any harder than any other .45 I've shot... I mean, it's a .45..... you know what you're getting into if you've ever shot one. It's a very forgiving cartridge of weight, barrel length, material etc.

I have a Gen 2 M&P 45. Shooting it along side a full size all steel 1911s I own. The M&P is
noticeably a softer recoil. Very noticeable especially with factory 230 ball ammo. My reloads shoot
softer and are more accurate. The 45 M&P I have is very accurate as good or better than any 45 I
have shot. All I have done to it is an Apex sear.

I think what some feel as recoil is the change in balance of the gun with the slide movement rather than the power of the cartridge. Bucking rather than kicking might be a way to describe it. A 45 acp bucks a bit but drops right back on target very easily where as a 44 Mag kicks and gets off target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top