JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Springfield Mil Spec that was customized in several ways by the guy I got it from. I mention that because I don't know what's still factory stock and what's been tweaked.

It's comfy, accurate and reliable with all kinds of ammo, and I'd like to use it for a carry piece in some settings. But I'm a little hesitant because the slide release is so darn hard to operate. Concerted effort required, throwing off my tactical reloads and target aquisition, even using my left thumb to help push the right one down. Normal size hands, plenty strong.

It's significantly different than a Colt I used to carry and handle smoothly. I know the Colt had custom wider levers (affording more leverage). So I don't know if what I have now is "normal" size or abbreviated. But I do know it's a pain the buttocks, diminishing my enjoyment and confidence.

Not interested in ordering a replacement part online just to find out it's no better, or worse. Can anyone recommend a decent shop near SW Portland, Beaverton, etc. that might have a few different release levers to show me, and maybe do some adjusting if needed to help it release easier? Who's the best 45 guy around here?

Thanks in advance for tips.

the user Huntpotter,he knows his 1911 and he's from Vancouver, also you might want to look into Wilson combat extended slide stop release, it moves like butter.

Get a hold of hunt, he is in the know. I have the same pistol and I put a extended 1911 slide release on. I had to take a little of the top of the grip but to the untrained eye you would never be able to tell. And I love this gun. I also have a Chip Mc Cormik 7 rd mag just let you know there is a 7 rounder available.

It's a slide stop not release... Yes I know it can be used to release but much better to train slingshot.

That said post up a pic and should be able to tell you. The most likely cause though is the plunger spring/detent. SA is very well known for using stiff springs there and this can make SS hard to release and install.

ETA: Pick up a 10-8 or Harrison slide stop and be done! :)

Train yourself to bring your weak hand over the top of the slide, pull it rearward and let it slide forward. The slide stop is good for emergency one-hand manipulations, however, consistent use of the slide stop as a slide release will wear out the notch on the slide (essentially rounding over a square notch), which may cause the slide not to consistently lock back on an empty magazine. This can be fixed, but best just to avoid the issue in the first place...

Slide stop...slide release...

Recoil spring...action spring...coiled wire thingy...

Since everyone is throwing in their two cents, which in this day is worth about .2 cents...inflation ya know...

Been usin' the slide stop to release the slide for goin' on 25 years, and have yet to wear out either the slide stop or the notch on the slide.

If the slide is made properly, which this day and age some are not...they are hardened and are tougher than the slide stop. Using the over hand motion to release the slide is a wasted motion, when you have a slide stop hanging out there begging for your attention...unlike Glock or Sig, which have theirs recessed a bit into the frame.

I'll be the first to say that no one should use a gun gamer to drive their equipment needs for the street...but the serious upper end gamers don't use extended slide stops (Leatham, Jarret, etc.), and those guys are looking for every edge they can to make them faster than the next guy.
Just look thru the upper end 1911 makers...Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer, not one uses them on any of their pistols they offer for sale. There's a reason...that there's what we in the LE world call a "clew"

So why do they make them? The old marketing ploy, make an item, market it in such a fashion as the public thinks they can't live without it, and then go in for the monetary kill.

All the top 1911 instructors use the slide stop and not the over hand method...and you'd think after many years they would have used the extended stop if it was really a good thing.

Jus' sayin'

Maybe so, bro, but we lefties need a little extra material to catch with our index fingers. I put a Wilson extended stop on my Colt OACP so I don't have to search for it.

ok, i will toss in my thoughts. I think it is a spring issue with the recoil spring. It may not be an 18 or 19 lb recoil spring. A heavier recoil spring could create the condition you describe?

teflon97239, you're welcome to bring the gun by and I'll check it out for you...no charge.

If the slide stop is Springfield original, I've seen many of them that are mis-shaped on the end where the plunger rides.

You can stop by the gunshow at Clark Co fairgrounds, just north of Vancouver, Oct 1-2. I'll have a case with all 1911 parts in it. Probably have a couple new slide stops to look at. Also bring your gun, and we'll take a look at it first. Maybe just a little debur, or something might do the trick.

Thanks!

You can stop by the gunshow at Clark Co fairgrounds, just north of Vancouver, Oct 1-2. I'll have a case with all 1911 parts in it. Probably have a couple new slide stops to look at. Also bring your gun, and we'll take a look at it first. Maybe just a little debur, or something might do the trick.
Thanks!

No need, I guess. Seems I can just train myself to use both hands to release the slide on a malfunctioning .45, and not even bother to maintain or repair it so it operates normally! NOT.

Yeah, I'll swing by and let's see what it needs. Can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I put through my old Colt doing high speed tactical reloads, single hand stuff, weak hand, everything. Actually, it only got better with use (and abuse), not worse. So I'm looking forward to getting this one smoothed out too! Thanks for the email, looking forward to meeting you.

Something occurs to me, though... How do we check, double-check and re-check the slide action on a weapon zip tied for a gun show? Hmmmmmmm.

Something occurs to me, though... How do we check, double-check and re-check the slide action on a weapon zip tied for a gun show? Hmmmmmmm.

They have extra zip ties. You can cut one, at a vendors table to inspect the weapon. It needs to be re-tied before you move on from that table. No biggie.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top