JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking to get some 45-70 Gov ammo for my Henry and for the last 2 months I only found 60 rounds in one of our local gun stores at $4 per round. I check every day various online retailers and I just found a box of 200 rounds of Black Hills Cowboy Action on MidwayUSA. The final price (with shipping and taxes) was $517. Finally, I can head to a shooting range this weekend.

I won't ever get a loader. I will give away empty shells when I make a couple of trips to a shooting range. I do have about 40 empty shells and will give away those when I accumulate more. I have too many other things in my life and do not have time to learn how to load.

That empty brass is worth quite a bit to a reloader, easily 25 cents each. 45-70 is one that I simply wouldn't shoot if I didn't cast and reload. I figure it costs me maybe 10 to 15 cents per round to load (not counting brass), depending on how I load it. I probably have more than I'll ever use.

What stinks is that I really don't even enjoy shooting it so much anymore. I used to really like the heavy recoiling big guns. Not so much nowadays. Maybe when my sons get a little older, they might enjoy it like I did when I was younger. :)

Well still waiting for my 1885 Winchester to get out of BGC he$$ but I went ahead and bought 100 slugs while I could find them. no way would I pay what they are asking for factory ammo. But now I can load up 100rds. 1/2 300 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and 1/2 300 grain lead.

That empty brass is worth quite a bit to a reloader, easily 25 cents each. 45-70 is one that I simply wouldn't shoot if I didn't cast and reload. I figure it costs me maybe 10 to 15 cents per round to load (not counting brass), depending on how I load it. I probably have more than I'll ever use.

What stinks is that I really don't even enjoy shooting it so much anymore. I used to really like the heavy recoiling big guns. Not so much nowadays. Maybe when my sons get a little older, they might enjoy it like I did when I was younger. :)

I give empty shells for free. I appreciate all the help that I got from the forum members when I first started shooting again after about 30 years of break from rifles, so I want to give back something to the community. This forum made me a better shooter.

I give empty shells for free. I appreciate all the help that I got from the forum members when I first started shooting again after about 30 years of break from rifles, so I want to give back something to the community. This forum made me a better shooter.
That's a kind and generous thing to do! I have more than I'll ever need, myself, but I'm sure there will be plenty of folks lined up for them, as 45-70 is highly coveted! :)

Picked up 6 boxes of 45-70 over the weekend visiting various stores.Averaging about $45 per box. Not cheap!
Finally picked up some new reloading equipment today. Not looking to save money as much as just having some rounds available when I want them...or at least hope to.

I love some of the recoil and love shooting 45-70 calibre. However, I tried Grizzly 460 grain +P loads, and those were harsh. I only could handle few of them and my right shoulder was not happy (I am not as young as I wish I was). The only reason that I have some +P loads is for my upcoming backpacking trip to Alaska this summer (early August if everything goes according to my plans, but with this COVID sucker no one can be certain).

I love some of the recoil and love shooting 45-70 calibre. However, I tried Grizzly 460 grain +P loads, and those were harsh. I only could handle few of them and my right shoulder was not happy (I am not as young as I wish I was). The only reason that I have some +P loads is for my upcoming backpacking trip to Alaska this summer (early August if everything goes according to my plans, but with this COVID sucker no one can be certain).

A few weeks ago I came across three boxes of 45-70 HSM Bear Load 430 grain +P. Immediately purchased them as I was not having any luck finding much 45-70. Little nervous about shooting them. Sometimes my shoulders get sore just getting out of bed : )
Good luck on your backpacking trip. Can't get much better prepared for bear country than a with a 45-70 and some 460 grain +P ammo.

I have three different molds for the 45-70. The only rifle I have in the caliber is a break-open H&R single shot, but it's a fun little rifle, and will handle about as heavy of a load as you'd ever want to shoot through such a light rifle!

Here's a 500gr load, loaded fairly heavy. The empty next to it is one I just haven't figured out how to reload, can't seem to get replacement primers for it, as they quit making this kind of 45-70 case back in the '70s.

IMG_0156[1].jpg IMG_0155[1].jpg

1870s that is. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews