So, I've been liking the .44 Magnum in various incarnations this year. The last acquisition is a lever-action carbine, with a 20" barrel, in said. Which brings me to my question: considering the difference in platforms, what factory loads would recommend? I'm thinking heavier loads would be just the ticket. I've seen some up in the city whilst picking up supplies and also online. (The little I've shot this new little rifle, the recoil was has been very tame, so more punchier loads are nothing.)

On our current land holdings, we have pests ranging from snakes, skunks, coyotes and foxes to unannounced upright primates (humans, put ever so charitably) and the occasional black bear family. When I head down to the southwest, the critters will be a little different, but perhaps not too much so.

Thanks, friends, for any recommendations.

orygun

Reactions
I used to have a 41 Mag package, 20" Marlin 1894 and a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk. I shot handloads of H110 and used the Hornady XTP because it's tough. These loads were a bit over 1300fps in the Blackhawk and gained almost 600 fps in the carbine. An effective way to gain power with the same ammo.

Reactions
I've been shooting the Hornady 225 FTX leverevolution for some time... 1410 fps at the muzzle, flex tip for the lever guns, less than inch groups at 100 yds. out of my marlin 1894p 16 1/4" barrel. Seems to hit hard and very accurate for me.

Mica

Reactions
So, I've been liking the .44 Magnum in various incarnations this year. The last acquisition is a lever-action carbine, with a 20" barrel, in said. Which brings me to my question: considering the difference in platforms, what factory loads would recommend? I'm thinking heavier loads would be just the ticket. I've seen some up in the city whilst picking up supplies and also online. (The little I've shot this new little rifle, the recoil was has been very tame, so more punchier loads are nothing.)

On our current land holdings, we have pests ranging from snakes, skunks, coyotes and foxes to unannounced upright primates (humans, put ever so charitably) and the occasional black bear family. When I head down to the southwest, the critters will be a little different, but perhaps not too much so.

Thanks, friends, for any recommendations.
Nothing says get of my lawn. Like a hunk of 300 grain hard cast out of a 20 barrel. It's quite amazing.

Mica

Reactions
Wow. That's my kind of testing. Right now I'm playing with my 260 GB hollow point. Seeing how soft I can go. I'm starting with 1:40 gas checked and probably end up with at least 2 powder coats.

osprey

Reactions
Those are Leatherhead bullets with an advertised bhn of 18. I love the profile of these coated bullets, it is too bad they sold out and moved from Idaho. Actually for the op’s intended use a nice bonded 240 gr speer gold dot would be a well rounded choice for his purposes.

Twodogs

Reactions
How heavy and what gun? Are you not getting them to stabilize and worried about baffle strike, or just not getting any accuracy?
I'm having trouble with bullets 300 gr and over they shoot good at 50 yds and go to crap at 100 yrds I wanted to run the heaviest cast bullet I could but jacketed bullets in the 240-270 range seem to shoot the best.
Shooting a T/C encore with an 18" bergara barrel full bore loads will shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds , still need more testing.

Last edited:

osprey

Reactions
My Cva Hunter in 44 mag also has a begara barrel with a 1:20 twist. I get 1” 5 shot groups @50 yards with the 300 gr leatherhead bullets. 100 yard groups are a bit over 2”. This is good enough for my intended purpose. Is your twist rate 1:20 as well. If it is slower than this you will have trouble stabilizing anything over about 250-260gr, especially subsonic.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    1911 guru!
    Tim Copeland rebuilt and refreshed an old Colt 1911 Gold Cup for me that needed all new springs, new extractor & replaced a loose ejector. Found...
    • Knute
  • 36 Pit
    4.00 star(s)
    Went here this morning. This was my first time shooting on public land in Oregon. The guys from Trash No Land were there as well as other...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good prices, interesting items
    I like taking a drive through farm country to this spot... nice selection.
    • kbf64
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good Friday!
    Had a great first time visit that included a transfer, a special order, and some trading. Can't wait to come back! Also I realized after I got...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
Top Bottom