JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been liking the .44 Magnum in various incarnations this year. The last acquisition is a lever-action carbine, with a 20" barrel, in said. Which brings me to my question: considering the difference in platforms, what factory loads would recommend? I'm thinking heavier loads would be just the ticket. I've seen some up in the city whilst picking up supplies and also online. (The little I've shot this new little rifle, the recoil was has been very tame, so more punchier loads are nothing.)

On our current land holdings, we have pests ranging from snakes, skunks, coyotes and foxes to unannounced upright primates (humans, put ever so charitably) and the occasional black bear family. When I head down to the southwest, the critters will be a little different, but perhaps not too much so.

Thanks, friends, for any recommendations.

Hornady 240 grain is my go to.
1850fps is good. But I like them more for there accuracy. At least from my 18'' Ruger.

And go easy on the skunks if you have a lot of rattlesnakes. And they stay away from the chickens.
There immune to snake bites. And will even eat a few.

Did I say how much I hate Rattlesnakes?

I used to have a 41 Mag package, 20" Marlin 1894 and a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk. I shot handloads of H110 and used the Hornady XTP because it's tough. These loads were a bit over 1300fps in the Blackhawk and gained almost 600 fps in the carbine. An effective way to gain power with the same ammo.

Hornady 240gr XTP is a great 44 mag bullet if you want to go heavier the 300gr XTP works great.
I shoot a T/C encore with a 18" barrel. K7gaUTQ.jpg

I've been shooting the Hornady 225 FTX leverevolution for some time... 1410 fps at the muzzle, flex tip for the lever guns, less than inch groups at 100 yds. out of my marlin 1894p 16 1/4" barrel. Seems to hit hard and very accurate for me.

The 1:38 twist rate of that levergun and possibly action constraints will keep you from the heviest slugs. That being said a good wfn hardcast at 240-260gr will do about all that is needed.

So, I've been liking the .44 Magnum in various incarnations this year. The last acquisition is a lever-action carbine, with a 20" barrel, in said. Which brings me to my question: considering the difference in platforms, what factory loads would recommend? I'm thinking heavier loads would be just the ticket. I've seen some up in the city whilst picking up supplies and also online. (The little I've shot this new little rifle, the recoil was has been very tame, so more punchier loads are nothing.)

On our current land holdings, we have pests ranging from snakes, skunks, coyotes and foxes to unannounced upright primates (humans, put ever so charitably) and the occasional black bear family. When I head down to the southwest, the critters will be a little different, but perhaps not too much so.

Thanks, friends, for any recommendations.
Nothing says get of my lawn. Like a hunk of 300 grain hard cast out of a 20 barrel. It's quite amazing.

Wow. That's my kind of testing. Right now I'm playing with my 260 GB hollow point. Seeing how soft I can go. I'm starting with 1:40 gas checked and probably end up with at least 2 powder coats.

Those are Leatherhead bullets with an advertised bhn of 18. I love the profile of these coated bullets, it is too bad they sold out and moved from Idaho. Actually for the op's intended use a nice bonded 240 gr speer gold dot would be a well rounded choice for his purposes.

I've been trying to get heavy sub loads to fly good to 100 yrds, so I can shoot my 44 mag with a suppressor.

How heavy and what gun? Are you not getting them to stabilize and worried about baffle strike, or just not getting any accuracy?

Last Edited:
How heavy and what gun? Are you not getting them to stabilize and worried about baffle strike, or just not getting any accuracy?
I'm having trouble with bullets 300 gr and over they shoot good at 50 yds and go to crap at 100 yrds I wanted to run the heaviest cast bullet I could but jacketed bullets in the 240-270 range seem to shoot the best.
Shooting a T/C encore with an 18" bergara barrel full bore loads will shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds , still need more testing.

Last Edited:
My Cva Hunter in 44 mag also has a begara barrel with a 1:20 twist. I get 1" 5 shot groups @50 yards with the 300 gr leatherhead bullets. 100 yard groups are a bit over 2". This is good enough for my intended purpose. Is your twist rate 1:20 as well. If it is slower than this you will have trouble stabilizing anything over about 250-260gr, especially subsonic.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top